post your modern day sickness

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Natho
barnacle

Re: post your modern day sickness

Post by Natho » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:20 am

Anyone know someone good to fix a minor crease on the Northern Beaches?.

Surfed the Pyzel on the weekend and it went insane. Unfortunately I creased it. The crease is only fairly shallow and barely broke the glass. It did not go through the stringer. Basically it runs just in front of the side fin from inside the stringer to just before the rail. Basically its inside one of the double concaves, but luckily not through the rail or stringer.
My thoughts are that it is well worth fixing given its fairly minor as far as creases go and at least it is only on one side of the board. The other side is perfectly in tact. My thoughts are that the chance of it snapping outside the crease are at least reduced given it only on one side. Any suggestions for someone good?.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Natho wrote:Anyone know someone good to fix a minor crease on the Northern Beaches?.

Surfed the Pyzel on the weekend and it went insane. Unfortunately I creased it. The crease is only fairly shallow and barely broke the glass. It did not go through the stringer. Basically it runs just in front of the side fin from inside the stringer to just before the rail. Basically its inside one of the double concaves, but luckily not through the rail or stringer.
My thoughts are that it is well worth fixing given its fairly minor as far as creases go and at least it is only on one side of the board. The other side is perfectly in tact. My thoughts are that the chance of it snapping outside the crease are at least reduced given it only on one side. Any suggestions for someone good?.
Natho, I've been using Splash at Brookvale. They did a couple of good repairs for me (not creases). Always seem to be busy, so maybe worth a try. Their at 19 Orchard Road.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:59 am

el rancho wrote:yeah this is 18 wide. don't even own a board narrower than 19 & 1/4

I had a 6'6" custom shaped for indo a few years, was 18" wide and 2 3/8" thick with glassed fins.

I hated it. paddling was bitch. was surfing a burleigh like reef on panaitan island with it, and it'd take me 15-20 minutes to paddle back up the point on it, everyone else was doing it in 5. There was one section where yadin nichol and wade goodall where airing over it while sedley and woody were floating over it.

I would hit the same section with minimal speed and just get buckled and bent in half on it. never made the section once on it. paddled back to the boat after an hour and swapped it for a little 6'1" JS swallow tail and made that section every time with a long swooping bottom turn coming from a super high line just as I approached the section and would fly around it.

every shift of your feet, and every weight transfer on the thinner heavily rockered board would mean bogging something, slowing down or going over the handlebars.

report back with how you get on with your but. i'm super interested.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 am

update on the Pyzel 'Flash' (now fixed).

Well this is as close to a magic board that I have had in ages for good waves in the 2-5 foot range. Very neutral board in that it does not have or do too much of anything. Basically the board just goes where and does what I want it to without even thinking much about the board. To me that is a good sign of a magic HPS. Doesn't feel super fast, though I suspect it is much faster than it feels as it eats up fast sections. Doesn't feel super lifty. Its loose in the back end but seems to control and hold well in steeper waves. In fact I got one of my best barrels of the year on it and the board just held its line through to the exit, even when the wave pinched at the end. Surfing this board seemed to lift my surfing to another level. Super responsive but very controlled and sure of itself at the same time. It could be that I was feeling very mentally and physically tuned to the sessions I had on this board, however Im going to give credit to the board though. The rocker feels sublime.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:51 pm

The Mermaid and Pyzel are two very different beasts. The mermaid is much more lifty and has much more feeling of true acceleration. The Pyzel has a far more neutral feeling to it. The mermaid is more snappy with a sharper turning radius. Then again it is also 3 inches shorter and 1 inch wider.

Overall Mermaid is faster in feeling and feels a bit like surfing a hover craft but with control. The board does a lot of the work for you and feels like its got an engine in turbo underneath.It covers a lot of ground quickly. With the Pyzel you need to do more of the driving but it will take you wherever you want to go. The mermaid is more of a racing car for small waves. The Pyzel is more of a high end Merc or BMW that is very sure of itself.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm

took the bourton banana board out yesterday morning, with a mild hangover. surf was shitter than it looked and was mostly just paddling around aimlessly.

did a sick floater on it though and thought for all money I'd nosedive the landing. saved by the obscene amount of rocker.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I'd be keen to hear your report on it after a solid dbah session at 4-5 ft
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Natho re: repair try John at Chaos, he does repairs. No bullshit stand up guy.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 am

I've been riding this lately...JD...oh so fast!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 am

Love the bottom, is that one piece, or a few strips?. I'm due for another JD and I love the timber in the bottom of them.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:50 am

Without looking at it I'm pretty sure it's several strips...concave deck feels great under foot too...

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:46 pm

And...its got a big phat nose...like yours wingy...MR tried to kill me today, but fark solid and hollow as.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm

nice job Salty- what dims? That pic shows the single concave v nicely

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:05 pm

saltman wrote:Just picked up this from the laminator- First time I have had one of my own done in epoxy.
feels very nice
Single concave through to slight v behind the back fins
feb2015 board.jpg
feb2015.jpg
board feb 2015.jpg
Weird how one pic shows up and the others stay as jpg's
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 am

very parallel plan shape,

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:34 pm

" post your early eighties belly channel thruster sickness "

Just picked this up for $50 off an old bloke in dulwich hill. A garage clean out.

He had no idea about surfboards. Gave me the measurements in centimetres over the phone.

Works out at 6'3 x 19.75' x 2.75

:)

Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:59 pm

I've finally got myself a JD! Check out the Astro! 5'8 x 19.5" x 2.5" goes like the clappers and not only turns on threepence it gets faster!