Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

damo666
regular

Re: Geoff McCoy Surfboards Collectors Corner

Post by damo666 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

A few quick pics of my new (to me) Rogers nugget. Its a 6'10".

It has noticeably flatter rocker, slimmer rails and a bit of a finer foil than the Geoff shaped ones - but is undoubtedly a McCoy with the rolled bottom and fat arse! Overall I reckon it probably has less volume than my old 6'6" nugget.

I'm thinking its going to be a bit better in the small stuff than the others I have had - hopefully it will fill that middle space between my mal & shortboard.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 am

One of the best single fins I ever had was a McCoy 6'6" it had a wide point forward and a narrower tail, with a single wing round tail. There were many McCoy boards of that type made in the late 70's and I wonder why we never hear about them, everyone seems stuck in the 'Lazor Zap' type. Although the McCoys I'm referring to were typical 70's singles in the general arrangement they were particularly well designed... a lot of poor 70's singles existed and mccoy boards were a cut above most of them.

The wider tailed types are ok but not in the same league as the WP forward boards in my opinion.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:One of the best single fins I ever had was a McCoy 6'6" it had a wide point forward and a narrower tail, with a single wing round tail. There were many McCoy boards of that type made in the late 70's and I wonder why we never hear about them, everyone seems stuck in the 'Lazor Zap' type. Although the McCoys I'm referring to were typical 70's singles in the general arrangement they were particularly well designed... a lot of poor 70's singles existed and mccoy boards were a cut above most of them.

The wider tailed types are ok but not in the same league as the WP forward boards in my opinion.
Sounds like a "Frozen Daffodil" with wings??
http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewt ... n+daffodil

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Due to what was probably a factory mistake, and my own lack of diligence, I now possess what is probably the only tri fin Astron Zot in existence. >><<

Its 7', was labelled as a Nugget, but was different to all the other TSA Nuggets I have seen, finer rails and narrower tail. When I got it home I checked the bottom shape and realized it was identical to an Astron Zot, except for a longer, harder edge in the tail. My guess is someone grabbed a shaped board, thinking it was a Nugget, and routed it for the fin plugs, and, too late, must have realised the mistake and added a harder rail. Either that or its a new model, cunningly disguised as a Nugget, awaiting user feedback!

Really, I don't know why, but the rails, plan and bottom shape are identical to the Zot, but its got 3 fins.

Took it out in really small waves today, its super fast, fast as the LSD Flashback fish. Waves too crappy to do anything else but go straight. I could have returned it, but WTF, I thought the Astron Zot would be better as a tri, or a quad anyway.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Never seen a great deal of McCoys in vicco, but must admit there's gotta be merit to his designs - just ask Cheyne Horan and a heap of everyday users - but fcuk me, they're not pretty to look at

And, just because I've had a cnut of a week at work, the footage of Ian Brown in Indo is enough to make me never go there
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Form follows function, that would be Geoff's mantra I reckon.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm

They are actually beautiful.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:00 pm

MrMik wrote:They are actually beautiful.
MrMic, I can appreciate their beauty, but I'm not surprised that many people find them ugly, unfamiliarity breeds contempt.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:41 am

Cranked wrote:Due to what was probably a factory mistake, and my own lack of diligence, I now possess what is probably the only tri fin Astron Zot in existence. >><<
I wonder how much variation occurs in fin placement with the XF boards.
I had a look at them in Cooly Surf the other day and I think that the side fins have much less toe-in than other Nuggets I've seen. There were no fins in the boards, just judging by the angle of the fin boxes they are pointing almost straight ahead. Usually glassed -in Nugget fins have toe-in almost pointing at the nose.

Or is this something related to removable fins? I don't have and shortboards with removable side fins.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:26 pm

@ cranked, the finish shapers error is my guess.came off the machine run and he had shaped some normal outline nuggets with the edge set up for thrusters, then a Zot comes into the bay and gets an edge.When it goes to the glassers its with the other all rounders so it gets that logo,you SCORED!...is it FCS2 fins or Fusion?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:30 pm

@MIK, I just got a 2nd hand XF, fusion plugs that toe in towards the nose.the website only shows FCS2 though.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Deleted

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 pm

I just bought an old McCoy twin fin board to add to the collection and I'm hoping someone here may be able to tell me a little bit about it. It's my first McCoy twin fin. :-)(

The board is probably from around 1970, please chime in with your best guess about it's age.

Dimensions are 5'7'' x 20+1/2'' x 3+3/4''. It's the thickest board I've seen, yet. The bottom has a green resin tint and the deck was probably white when it was new.

It has doubled-up McCoy logos on deck and bottom, something I have not seen before. Maybe an attempt to make the logo look 3-D?
It is numbered 709 on the deckside stringer and a name is written on the deckside stringer towards the tail. The name is not very clear, it could be RONNY.

Do you think "Ronny" was the shaper or the customer?

Do you think the board was shaped by Geoff McCoy, or would it have been RONNY or someone else working for him at the time?

The bulge in the middle of the board in the side view photo is a delamination.
The board is in relatively good nick, a couple of hours work would be enough to seal a few thin spots on the rails so it would be waterproof again. I think it has been re-glassed (thinly) at some time and is not in particularly 'original' condition, but I guess there might not be many like it around.

How many similar boards might have been shaped back then?

Any insights into the background of the board would be much appreciated.

Has anyone here ever surfed one like it? A retrospective ride report would be nice. :-D-:

Cheers, Mik

Last edited by MrMik on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:47 pm

How come pictures within posts do not work any more?

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:59 pm

MrMik, that board is likely from the early 70's when Boards went down to sub 5 ft, S- deck, knifes rails esp around the tail. Often with very upright single fins. And funky Lime green rails.
Shane did a great run of those boards that were sold in an old retail chain called Waltons, they did a 24 hr factory stint where some of the shapers didn't even surf but I think a lot of the boards were pop outs form a mould so a lot are quite identical.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:22 pm

I can remember that first twin fin craze. Definitely 70-72ish. Mark Warren was surfing for McCoy and Col Smith maybe. Dapper Oliver?
I think there was a McCoy Ad that had Double your pleasure Double your fun Ride with two fins instead of one.
Up Tweed Way Graham Merrin was punching out a few.
Those S Deck super fat profiles were very popular. All went pretty shite as far as I remember.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Beanpole wrote:I can remember that first twin fin craze. Definitely 70-72ish. Mark Warren was surfing for McCoy and Col Smith maybe. Dapper Oliver?
I think there was a McCoy Ad that had Double your pleasure Double your fun Ride with two fins instead of one.
Up Tweed Way Graham Merrin was punching out a few.
Those S Deck super fat profiles were very popular. All went pretty shite as far as I remember.
Graeme Merrin. There's a blast from the past.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Yes after moving over from the family coffin making business to surfboards. Peter Turner started out working for him. Quite a few Kingy Guys had his boards. Gary Davis aka Podgey had one with a huge Merrin Logo right across the bottom.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?