shaping class

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

philw
Local

shaping class

Post by philw » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm

anyone know if there's a course where you can design and shape a board - say over a weekend?

in sydney.

thanks!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: shaping class

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm

I've always reckoned surfboard shapers are missing out on a bonanza.
You order a board off them and they help you shape it, teaching you along the way. Of course you pay a premium for this privelege.
Don't think they'd be doing themselves out of any future business, more likely showing you how important it is to have the right tools, the right workshop setup and lots of experience.

You'd get a board you could say "I shaped this".
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:34 am

Wingnut - yes I found that one - seems more for people who want to learn how to become shapers rather than someone who just wants the experience of making their own board

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah, it's a birthday gift for a mate, his wife asked me to look into it. I think there would be a market for a surfboard building weekend for the average, probably older, surfer who wants to give it a try - not someone who wants to get kitted out and keep at it

They just want the thrill of creating their own monstrous, unrideable fibreglass baby

philw
Local

Post by philw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Yep saw them both.

5 x 'modules' plus a certificate seemed like a college course

I'll drop them a line and see if it's suitable, thanks for your help.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:When I was in school this was what 1 lucky kid a year got to do for work experience, and come out of it with a new board.

How did you go?

Have you tried just asking a few of the smaller nearby shapers?

There was a bloke doing it on the central coast a few years ago too.
i had a kid at school interested in shaping, so i spent lunchtimes this week with him showing him what to do. for his efforts he walked away with a nice clean little shape. It was good to see a year 10 kid give up his lunches for a week and do something productive!

jamessurfsallday

Post by jamessurfsallday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:17 pm

treehouse shapes runs a nice class but good luck getting something surf able on your first go. takes about 10-20 boards without help to get a nice clean shape

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:05 pm

jamessurfsallday wrote:treehouse shapes runs a nice class but good luck getting something surf able on your first go. takes about 10-20 boards without help to get a nice clean shape
your first one might not look pretty but it'll surf ok. especially if you have a pro showing you want to do. ive seen some really nice looking boards coming out of treehouses classes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:16 am

Hi mate, I made a board from reading and asking questions on sites (beerfan and digger helped me out), I did it all by hand no electric plane but did route the fins. I used an old ironing board turned upside down for a stand. Got someone else to glass which will cost 200 odd. Board goes great just don't get to fancy with concaves (maybe make a flat bottom into double concave) and don't try to make a refined board, try a fish for smaller waves as they are chunky and you can fix your errors easier.

Just my opinion and one of the best things i have done and unless I was going to glass I wouldn't bother with a class for my first board, saying that as you know there are fellas on this site who would advise otherwise Im sure.

Anyway no matter what you decide make sure you make one you will learn a ton.

Heres a pic of it.
Attachments
005yd.jpg
005yd.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 17808 times

Bobby Dazzler
Local

Post by Bobby Dazzler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:44 pm

davros, that looks great!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks BD, those redline blanks are whiter than George Hamiltons teeth, they look awesome just glassed.....now a little grey.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:21 am

Davros Im so glad the shape came out nice. Well done mate. I hope you get to do it again one day. Agian well done mate 3-)
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Soon I think, getting the urge.