Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm

andy2476 wrote:a bit like making the trek to butterbox
I've always thought that was one of the coolest names for a break.

Brownwater not so ... although it is self explanatory.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Butterbox is crap 90% of the time - but the remaining 10% is fun.
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Why no female shapers? Well jeez, that's pretty obvious. Apart from anything else I reckon women may be smarter than men and thus tend to avoid such things. But the profession is entirely dominated by masculinity at every turn, there's no welcome mat out even for new male shapers, no trade route, nothing. Why are there no women on this site, for example? I suggest it's because it's a male conversation and there's no way in, or at least most women would perceive it that way.
Oh, no doubt about the 'masculinity' thing at all levels; but that said it only takes one guy to let you help out and then you operate on your own (and there must be women who can find that 'one guy' if they wanted).

With the womens professional surfing circuit getting much more press in Australia at least (starting from a very low base admittedly), and I usually see a few females out surfing when I'm out, I think there is a potential commercial benefit in being a female shaper selling boards 'designed for females' - sure a niche market, but a lot of the more (apparently) successful shapers work to a niche market (say McTavish or Grant Miller for the older (and fatter) guys).

I know a female friend of mine almost gave up getting her boards shaped because none of the male shapers she went to listened to what she wanted or believed her when she told them her skill level (which was pretty good).

Still, as you say, perhaps women are just too smart to do it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Yep I was just going to say how about that lesbian female surfboard maker who got a grant off the government to develop specially designed surfboards at Angourie?

McTavish puts out a "special" girls surfboard which just looks like Carver in pink with frangipani s on it.

Re: girls in surfing generally. I think a lot of older girls paddle out and interpret the general vibe as sexist when in fact it's just dog eat dog with not much quarter given to anyone.

We had the Australian Women's Champ at Kingscliff- Jill Sanoti back in the seventies. Jill just surfed it out with the other groms at the beach and was as determined as anyone in the surf.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm

ctd wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:- sure a niche market, but a lot of the more (apparently) successful shapers work to a niche market (say McTavish or Grant Miller for the older (and fatter) guys).
I"m not sure Grant works to a niche market, he just puts a lot of thought into every one of his customer's boards, maybe he's just one of the few who is willing to cater to everybody, including Women….http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au ... mensboards

There's an amazing number of good female surfers I see around the traps of Newy.
A bit like most trades I suppose, there's smarter ways to make a buck.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Legion wrote:Don't they need boob indentations? I vaguely recall a 80s or 90s government grant or something being awarded to some women's surfing group to develop womens' specific boards with indentations ...
No Legion, they don't need boob indentations, in fact I am fairly sure most of the top chicks today would destroy every Realsurfer in seconds - in the water and out.

I personally don't think surfboards are gender-designed but maybe some boards appeal more to women than men. I don't think that takes a woman's touch but I don't see why a woman couldn't be a great board designer -- they'd just need to be way more focused and tough than most men board makers.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah shaping programs aren't gender specific.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:49 am

mentone mansions wrote: I"m not sure Grant works to a niche market, he just puts a lot of thought into every one of his customer's boards, maybe he's just one of the few who is willing to cater to everybody, including Women….http://www.grantmillersurfboards.com.au ... mensboards
Looks like I'll ask Grant to shape me a board along those lines for my next board to compensate for my lack of upper body strength.
mentone mansions wrote: There's an amazing number of good female surfers I see around the traps of Newy.
My regular is a sausage fest.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
DucksNuts wrote:Nick would you like to come surf waves with me tomorrow? I believe the conditions are particularly promising and will be suited to some hot riding and shooting the curl
I think not old chap. I am still recovering from surgery, and in any case, I fear I may not be the sort of surfing companion you seek. I am surly, hostile, easily bored and not given to jollity.
A surf rendezvous with an online stranger sounds just like the therapy you need.

That said, I turned into you yesterday. The underwhelming size and long waits between sets made me bored, hostile and pull my hair out in frustration

pearceD

Post by pearceD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 am

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Well I tell ya what I know who it'll benefit.

Oakley declined the naming rights to their former event and it seems as if the JBay surf community were agitating pretty hard to get a WCT so natures probably taken its course

Big upside for some pros though I think. Notably Kelly, Jordy, joel, Taj, maybe a couple of the power goofies. Nobody's gonna win JBay with 10 pt alley oop

Kelly did not like Keramas on tour, he felt it was a limited wave where luck played too big a part. You've gotta think his chances of a win this year just slightly improved.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Nick. Have u ever ridden a board between the length of 7 & 8 ft that had a rounded nose instead of a pointy one ? Even if nobody was looking and it was just your own little secret.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 pm

god it's like an educated pedophile trying to convince people that child love is perfectly legitimate
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 pm

:lol:

Oh, and butterbox is a pretty crap wave
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Nick. Have u ever ridden a board between the length of 7 & 8 ft that had a rounded nose instead of a pointy one ? Even if nobody was looking and it was just your own little secret.
Yeah, it was boring as shit.

Have you ever surfed a Tahitian reef pass at 6-8' on a 6'5" six channel pintail with three other people in the water?

I just don't care about mini mals iggs, I could test ride 'em in my sleep, and I would if there were any in the Board Test, but why bother otherwise if you don't care.

One day I'll probably be forced to ride something like that, but I'll wait till I'm 70 thanks.