Sri Lanka or Taiwan in April

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jimi
Local

Sri Lanka or Taiwan in April

Post by Jimi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 pm

The recent lack of swell is getting me thinking of getting away for another surf trip. Just have a window of a few weeks. Keen to go somewhere with some interesting culture/food/etc, where the missus can have a nice holiday, and I can get some fun waves too.
Has anyone been to Sri Lanka or Taiwan for a surf trip?? Especially around April? How was it?

siam

Re: Sri Lanka or Taiwan in April

Post by siam » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Both great for surf and interest sights sounds and smells but in April both are between seasons ie NE and SW monsoon so conditions variable and not consistent with swell or wind direction ..if you can accept that sure to have fun

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I thought it was a bit of a shoulder season. Shame I'm restricted to travelling in school hols, although the 12 weeks off a year helps to make up for it :wink:

carpetman

Post by carpetman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi Jimi,

I was in Sri Lanka for about a month in March to April of 2012. Just for travel as it was outside both sides of the island's surf season but managed to get a few waves in around hikkaduwa & arugum.

I wouldn't travel there at that time of year for a surf trip. hikkaduwa was mosty 2ft with onshore winds shortly after sunrise. arugum 1-2ft, uncrowded & clean. So not enough to keep me satisfied on that front but everything else was fantastic - particularly the food.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 am

I enjoyed Taiwan greatly, one side of the island was Typhoon swell smashed and just too big for me and the lee side was miniscule and each beach has a dedicated mass of learners that surf enmass as a social experience. good news if you surf reasonably they clear away to watch.
Lots of variety when it does get good powerful waves.
If I wasn't going back to my Indo spot this year I'd crack Taiwan again so it is Taiwan in 2015 for me.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 am

Im starting to think about putting Sri Lanka trip back to June/July Holidays. I know I would love the culture and food but really want a trip focused around surfing. Maybe if I can afford it I'll head back to Samoa in April for a short surf camp based trip without the other half, and save Sri Lanka till then. Anyone surfed Sri Lanka in June? I'm assuming Taiwan season is more around our summer months?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm

That time of year is the Aragan Bay side which is a far superior wave than Hikkadua by all accounts.
Check it out in Sprout if you have a copy.
Hikkadua was fun when I went there in February many years ago. Its a pretty soft peak with the right breaking into the reef so it holds the wave power better than the left which tends to just get softer and softer till it stops. A few other breaks around there as well. Love to go back again. Actually may be a slim chance of wrangling it in the next couple of years. Probably hitting either Taiwan or Hainan this year in October with any luck.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 am

Taiwan is looking even more likely now for mid October. So does anyone have some advice re: water temp in the middle to north end at that time?
I know it's tropical down south but I gather it gets cooler up north.
October seems to be the season for the top end.
Also I see there are a lot of board rental places around. What's the range like?
Looking at the range of waves it. Could be good to hire a fish or mal for some of the smaller waves. Also if it looks like being small when we go we may just rent a few if its a hassle to take boards over. Probably just take a 6'6" FireWire.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've flown Dragon Air before and that was pretty good but boards?
Flew from Xian to Hong Kong last year a d they had an instrumental version of Perfect Day by Lou Reed playing :-?
Found out on the plane he had just died.
Up there with being on the train from Melbpurne to Sydney when John Lenon was shot but way more unexpected.

How about general transport tonks?
South east coast or mid?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?