10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

SurfieC
Local

Re: 10 sharkiest waves In Aus

Post by SurfieC » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Copper sharks. Not big, but many ..

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 am

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:56 pm

i thought the bloke said he dragged it in by the tail.
which is very likely considering the intelligence of the local garden variety Sunny Coaster around sharks and waterways.

bumfluff
Owl status

Re:

Post by bumfluff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 pm

straddiekook wrote:morteon island is full of sharks. so is fingal and around cook island.
I've only surfed at Fingal once.

And I saw a small shark about 2 metres away from me, probably a bully.

A lot of fish activity around there and general marine life.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 pm

For Queensland it would have to be Rainbow Beach?

Followed by Noosa

Then Cooly

Ever had a beach with no consistant shark sightings or attacks but feels sharky anyway?

Currimundi..

There's only ever a few people out, no idea why as the banks are quite good, but there's always fisherman and dogs swimming in the water. By fisherman, I mean spear fisherman in the water, boats and plenty of fishing off the beach.

But I don't think there's ever been an attack there. Though they did pull a monster of a tiger shark from that area in January.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am

A-Bay and the noosa rivermouth are the only remotely sharky spots on the sunshine coast.

actually, a french backpacker showed me a photo from A-Bay few months ago, his friend sent it to him. A big arse shark was about 5 metres away while he was surfing, the bloke's girlfriend took it on her phone.

A-Bay is kinda sketchy even on a sunny day when you're by yourself.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:05 am

I'm becoming less concerned. Sat morn I was at a remote beach with 1 other guy. Bust up headed towards us. It was a large school of salmon that settled down and stayed about 50 metres away before it disappeared. Didn't see what spooked them. Until a couple of years ago, I'd have been out of there

Hour or so later we talked of going in. The school came back and sat right below us. Could not see the edge of it in any direction. They didn't seem spooked, but we started talking about what had happened earlier. My mate then said, "I'll give you $50 if I can have the 1st wave of the next set."
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Only ever seen 1 shark was a fairly solid white cruising about 50m parallel to the line up was in the middle of the day sun was out water was clear.

But Fcuk sharks anyone up north ever seen a croc whilst surfing?

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Was surfing a costa rican beach about 15 years ago. we had to cross a small creek entrance to the sea to get back to the 4WD. Did the paddle bit, were in knee deep water and looked back just to last check the surf. Saw a "log" 10 metres away, heading up the creek entrance.
But the tide was going out.
Decent sized croc.
Heard several years later a bloke was actually attacked by a croc in the surf near there.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Last time over at SW Oz, I had a look at the beachie where, on the outside reef, those maniacs surf 'The Right'. Whoever sits in the water out there with a camera are deadset lunatics. Surely its just a matter of time before a photog gets his arse bitten. Its dangerous enough on land, I nearly stepped on the biggest brown snake just walking in!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

bombora wrote:Was surfing a costa rican beach about 15 years ago. we had to cross a small creek entrance to the sea to get back to the 4WD. Did the paddle bit, were in knee deep water and looked back just to last check the surf. Saw a "log" 10 metres away, heading up the creek entrance.
But the tide was going out.
Decent sized croc.
This sounds like a replay from "The Endless Summer 2" movie when they went out to surf Witches Rock. Those reptiles are actually caimans, smaller and not as nasty as saltwater crocodiles.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Crocs freak me out. When we were up in Cairns a few years ago we went out in a little tinnie off the village of Daintree. Saw a few at a distance. Kind of hanging around in the tinnie not thinking much about it danger wise. Later we went out to Green Island off Cairns and since the weather was crap we spent a lot of time in the crocodile farm. You could go in all day once you paid. Anyway its quite a confined space with some massive crocs. One about 3.5 mtrs long :shock: :shock: could lift itself from flat out to at least 2 mtrs vertically and grab a dead chicken. We'd watch these other crocs just lying a couple of inches under the water looking at you. They are predatory hunters and will stalk their prey over a matter of days.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm

They can also slow their heartbeat down to about 4 beats a minute and stay completely still underwater for hours, have a second transparent eyelid so they can see underwater, and if they get a serious injury (e.g. lose a limb) they can cut off the blood supply to that part of the body until it heals, with no apparent long term problems.

Crocs are pretty amazing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah we would turn around in this croc farm and there would be a croc that had snuck up behind you all the time. We saw some more at the zoo later but you didn't get the full effect since they were a fair bit further away. Made us realize you would have f*ck all chance if one wanted to drag you out of a tinnie on the river. Feet inside the boat.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:07 pm

I surfed at Kings beach one day and had a very small shark chase me onto a few waves.

I got sick of surfing there so went around the corner to currimundi and nearly stood on the biggest eastern brown snake I've ever seen. It was about 6ft long and dead still in the sand. I was too busy looking at the swell and only saw it when it was about a metre away from me.

I back peddled about 5 metres and only just stopped an old man from stepping right on it. The old man later thanked me for essentially saving his life.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:58 pm

5 years ago I probably went to the same croc farm as you did up north of Cairns.

The bloke doing the croc demo was a carbon copy of Steve Irwin.

He said that crocs rely on the element of surprise and are quick sprinters but only for short distances. If a croc chases you on land and you can outsprint it for 20 metres it will give up............. all the same I think that I would just keep running and not look back. :)

There's Eastern Brown snakes warning signs the whole way from Fingal car park to the beach........put the frighteners on the whole family first time we went there. :shock:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 am

Seems fair.

cycd

Post by cycd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 am

Surely the Ellensbrook to Gracetown stretch would have to bethe top in Aus now ... i would count Blacks, Cactus some other Eyre peninsula waves and south coast WA as the spookiest gut feeling waves when in the water.