Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:41 am

I like the look of those Josh, epsecially DV8's.

Which way does it point?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am

You really are obsessed with boards, Caveman.
You didn't even notice that Josh mentioned he's got a pair of your missus's knickers.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I've jumped in line again, for board no.2. Last was 5'9" x 21 1/2" x 2 3/4" keel fish. After having a go of a sweet potato, the next one will be a few inches shorter, wider in the arse, flatter and thinner. A longboard replacement, only a good 3'+ shorter!.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:57 pm

You should, I only just got the ball rolling. Though if josh were to show me preferential treatment I wouldn't mind. Doubt it though hahah

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Which way does it point?

We're not sure yet - he keeps changing it!!!

Hint for Beery - if you keep changing it, it goes to the end of the queue...

Nevermind...I'm just grumpy today.

Lurche's Lightsaber - 6'8 x 21 x 11/16 -
lightsaber_three_s.jpg
lightsaber_six_s.jpg
lightsaber_four_s.jpg
lightsaber_seven_s.jpg
lightsaber_ten_s.jpg
JD

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

The Frankenboard - for Matticus - 6'8 x 20 1/2...
frrankenboard_shape_five_s.jpg
frrankenboard_shape_four_s.jpg
frrankenboard_shape_seven_s.jpg
frrankenboard_shape_six_s.jpg
frrankenboard_shape_two_s.jpg
JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 am

You've just made his week josh haha. Nice

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 am

Whoah! Some very interesting boards coming out there Josh, loving them all so far!

The single made my legs wobble, what type of waves is it best suited for?

Matticus' last one made me afraid of my shins if I ever drop in on him. The speed that thing will generate I can only imagine.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 am

Hey Capt - The single is for my mate Jason down here, who is a one-time Aussie Masters title holder...

'He gets regular boards dirt cheap, straight off a shaping machine file, and goes through them hard.

Ages ago he requested something different, a stand-out piece of work that would be a bit more special than the JS/Channel Islands/DHD clones in his quiver.

The single fin is a replacement for that board, a fish that he never rode - While waiting for the ideal waves to inaugurate it, he stacked a skateboard while dropping into a big bowl...and required surgery and a long recuperation. We decided the fish would be too small for his recovery board after what was supposed to be a full six months laid up on the couch, so I sold it for him...

Bad idea! Within months he was back out at Winki, tearing the crap out of it on his usual 5'11...so the whole call that he would need bigger boards was a waste.

So the single fin is his quality Winki board, for days off the competitive grind. I'm hoping to get some footage.

Here it is getting the finbox fitted -
little_steps_one.jpg
Moral - Get your board wet straight-up, in whatever is available...no poncing about.

And this one, which I figured Alakaboo might like - The Leviathan - 7'9 x 21
leviathan_shape_five.jpg
leviathan_shape_one.jpg
leviathan_shape_two.jpg
JD

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Will be interested to see it perform !

I love the look of the paisley fabric inlay, I think I'll prefer one in my board rather than on my coffee table for the next one...

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey again Capt - the fabric was the only piece I had - all my personal boards over the years since I found that scarf/tablecloth, have been a schmidgin too long for it...then Jason requested some purple..so...

But I have my eye out for more cool fabric.

You could just go with the revolutionary new...logo placement - My Lil' Bro's new board, The Hammer of Thor - 6' x 20...
hammer_deck._s.jpg
hammer_four_s.jpg
hammer_five_s.jpg
JD

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:12 am

wingnut2443 wrote:and a quoit ...
Wingnut...I have no idea how you get that! A quoit? WTF...the rope ring you throw over a post, let alone the other thing.

Anyway, fins will be a biggish side pair and a little stabilizer. I'm making them in this case.

Ric Vidal's Svelte - Never tell your shaper there's no hurry!
svelte_bottom.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_deck.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_five.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_four.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_one.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_three.jpg_s.jpg
svelte_two.jpg_s.jpg
JD

anglesurf

Post by anglesurf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Haha you make me laugh Josh! The coit stuff! Love the colour on Ricks board & little bro's looks nice as well!!

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:That's what he called it ...
Ahah! OK i get it now. There I was wondering if you were being wascally...

But what else to expect from the man who labels his boards "Stool"?

Very happy to see Matty's not laying about while he waits for the Frankenboard. But so many visits from the FUF in that thread, just on the one page...If i'd been around watching I just would have died, simply died with exasperation!

Anyways...this one's on the way to Dubwaa - The Torpedo - 7' x 21 x 2 3/4...I've had a rash of big-fella boards.
torpedo_two_s.jpg
torpedo_six_s.jpg
torpedo_seven_s.jpg
torpedo_one_s.jpg
JD

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Dumb beerfan comment edited.
Last edited by Beerfan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Haha ok. Trailers on twin fins are kinda like condoms, you know it's a great idea, but it just don't feel the same. With twin fins, I kinda want to be a little out if control

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
Look beery, it's simple, I got the award last year, and so every chance I've written something to require that comment ... don't sweat it, rather, give us your thoughts on the fin plan for the franken thingy ma board ...

Like to hear JD's thoughts too ...

JD, paging JD, ... you're wanted back in your thread (before the 'tard takes over )
Wow...biffo that was nothing to do with me!

hahaha...

I usually wait til' i've got new pics before I respond, but I dislocated my shoulder again on Friday, out surfing - my secoond lil' trip n an ambulance, so I've slowed down on the work front...but not for long!

I actually buy into Beery's attitude to twin-fins. Prettymuch everything fin-wise is a variant on either a single or a twin. When you move quad rear fins up closer to the front pair, you get progressively twin-fin-like characteristics. If you move them back and closer to the centre-line you get more thruster-like.

And then with thrusters clustered close, you get single-fin-ish.

With Matty's board, the front pair is further back than for a thruster, and the fins will be larger than standard. Literally as if to save on the tedium of excessive numbers of plugs that quad/fives mean.

Also the flex of those big swallow sides - keep it clear from the obstruction of a quad rear pair.

I'm enjoying mine, purely twin-fin, but despite the long straight rail line through the tail, I get some of what aeronautics calls "Yaw" - that'd be like having the rudder in an aeroplane too far up - the plane will face diagonally to the direction it's flying, with nothing pinning the tail to follow the nose.

This is the drifty feel twins are both notorious and well-loved for. I once loved that feel, but as a big guy and not getting younger, I like less of that. I think of my board, the Baumgartner some way back in the thread, as a "Dual-single".

The stabiliser on the Frankenboard would be for giving just a little of the central directive influence of a tail fin behind the back foot. This is what I also did with Dolf's Gizmo - his initial reports were a bit of a worry - though he stated it was blindingly fast, it was'nt giving him the joy in the looseness dept, so and I've decided Matt's will have less of the Tomo no-toe-in or cant story. Dolf tells me the Gizmo has grown on him with some more conventional sized fins.

JD