The phone call you do not want

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

unclethirsty
Grommet

The phone call you do not want

Post by unclethirsty » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I got "that" phone call today about 4pm Sydney time informing me that my mate 50yo died in the surf at Sth Narrabeen today. At this stage it looks like a heart attack, no physical injuries obvious. I'm absolutely numb and shattered, I just returned from 5 weeks overseas, not surfing, on friday and was looking forward to a surf with him this week. I cannot believe what his family now must go through. If any of you guys were there, or know someone who was, and lent a hand I can only say thank you from the bottom of my heart as does his family. He went doing what he, and all of us surfers love doing, surfing. He's now in the big green room with Huey, RIP Andrew you will be sorely missed.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: The phone call you do not want

Post by Beanpole » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Sad news unc. Condolences to you and all his loved ones.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Sad news indeed.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 am

Condolences, uncle
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:52 am

And from here as well. Jesus, 50 years old...

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys Ill pass them on to his family.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 pm

RIP... Pass on condolences.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Again, thanks guys. At this stage no reports, like a lot of us he was surfing by himself and things are pretty muddled at the moment. Another mate who's into surf photography has contacted someone within the surf photography community and they believe they actually know the person or someone who was involved in bringing Andrew in, freaking unreal if this comes off! We're keeping our fingers crossed that this,any,information will help his family and friends with closure. Apparently the police and coroners people were appalling and more interested in who's got responsibility than the families need to have a final moment with a loved one.Thanks.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:27 am

sorry to hear that Uncle. I know a few surfers who have dropped dead of heart attacks whilst surfing and all around that age.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 am

Some morbidly obese salad dodging american had a heart attack on my flight meaning we had to divert to Honolulu . Got into LA an hour after my connecting flight . Shit fight after shit fight people harassing mothers with 3 young kids in queues killing 3 hrs to get a flight 6 hrs later than I should've . 2 hrs sleep in the last 24. At least they have decent IPA on tap. All because some load thought cookie dough was an acceptable snack.

Condolences for your loss. I'm sure your mates heart attack was genetic and not self imposed.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 am

Uncle, I have been in the same situation as your mate, but made it out. Apart from feeling a bit uncomfortable he probably did not know what was going to happen.
Last edited by Rustt on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 am

Had a phone call this morning to pass this on for those looking for further info can contact…

Narrabeen SLSC

and apparently there is some coverage of the unfortunate incident in both the Manly Daily and the Hornsby Advocate.

Didn't know the person but always sad to hear such news.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:39 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
unclethirsty wrote:... We're keeping our fingers crossed that this,any,information will help his family and friends with closure ...
Hard to know, but the person who was involved in getting him in / helped him may be:

- impacted in some way (i.e. first death type rescue, feelings of hopelessness for not having "saved" him)
Sorry for your loss, Uncle, and that of the family and friends.

Having been in that sort of situation before, I'd say Wingnut's advice was good. Particularly the bit above.
Very few people are actually resuscitated, the people attempting to revive are often under the impression they've done something wrong when there was nothing they could've done even with full training and all the equipment.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Uncle's friend was spotted from Narrabeen SLSC where the patrol captains were having a meeting. They saw a board without a visible body.

They got the IRB out and retrieved the patient, who was submerged at the time. Commenced CPR and got him to the beach where oxygen and defib were deployed.

Paramedics arrived and took over resusc to no avail.

Uncle, just contact Narrabeen SLSC, as suggested by ric. Sorry to hear the news mate. Going on my own surf that day, Sth Narra must have been pretty thick with few takers.

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 pm

A few years ago I was walking along Freshwater Beach and another local with the surname Mulquinny called to me to help a guy in the shallows.
He was white, not breathing, not moving, totally gone but we pulled him out of the water, up on the beach and put him in the recovery position.
We cleared his airway, removed his dentures, tried to drain the frothy seawater from his lungs and screamed for the clubbies who raced down with the defibrillator and Oxygen.
To their credit the clubbies were on to the situation instantly, moved like a professional resuscitation team and needed to 'shock' the guy several times before the Ambos arrived who took about an hour to stabilise the guy before transporting him to hospital. I think he went to Royal North Shore where he made a full recovery after being underwater for more than 5 minutes.
Moral to the story is always be there for your fellow surfer, sure he's a Knut for dropping in in you but if you saw him 'face down' you should help him as you would wish he would help you in the same circumstances.
Life tough enough with everyone trying to be the 'tough guy' / bad boy / idiot loser, but at least make the surf an area of compassion for your fellow surfers.
I think Ive personally saved about 8 people in absolute panic in the surf and I hope someone will be there for me if I need it.

unclethirsty
Grommet

Post by unclethirsty » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks guys, yeah we picked up that report/story in the various papers which has helped a lot. I/we (friends) are just trying to piece together what happened. We are all in shock over this incident, and i would never,ever denigrate the people who tirelessly give their time and put their lives at risk for the sake of others, be it lifesavers, police or ambos, I have nothing but admiration for these people and if i gave the impression otherwise please accept my sincerest apology.
The hard part is at this stage is that we do not know, possibly never will, weather it was an accident or freak medical incident. Andrew was exceptionally fit and an experienced surfer of 30 plus years. Apparently the coroners report will be another 10 days,approx. Thanks again to all who responded. I'll keep you posted.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Uncle, a guy died in the surf off Moffs up here a couple of years ago. He was brought in but had been down too long. At the time it was assumed a heart attack - he was in the age group of your friend, but I never heard a final result.

The only reason I mention it is because, as some of the guys on here know, I recently suffered an attack of vertigo out in the surf. At the time I was off my board and in the drop zone and couldn't stop the world spinning to get to the surface. Only a leg rope which somehow wound itself around my wrist saved me.
I had never experienced vertigo and had no idea what was happening to me.
I was lucky and I'm a bit older than your friend was.

So, someone fit and healthy doesn't have to have a heart attack to die in the surf.

I'll be interested to hear what results you get from the coroner.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 pm

$10 buffet for breakfast and dinner . lunch obscene servings of Mexican or for a healthy treat In n Out burger. $2 dollar beers at every meal. 4 temazepans to get at best 5 hrs sleep each night.

I expect to submerged at the end of. my leg rope not too soon after I get home
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy