Breaks spotted in non-surfing docos

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bombora
Local

Breaks spotted in non-surfing docos

Post by bombora » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Anyone spotted waves in docos, tv shows which have nothing to do with surfing. The question about Broome in another thread reminded me of a pefect, glassy three foot left point break which features for about five seconds in a fishing DVD which had a story about Broome shore fishing and came with a mag a few years ago. The wave was glassy, peeled in perfect shape, beside a low hill, and looked absolutely ideal a fish or mal.
Anyone watch Attenborough's Galapogas doco on the weekend. Aerial shot of one of the islands had what looked like a seriously solid, ultra glass, A Frame breaking into a bay. Shot from behind, but the white water was a perfect V.
Any others?

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Breaks spotted in non-surfing docos

Post by chrisb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I was going to mention the Galapagos doco too. Great show. Part 3 next week. I've seen some Easter Island non-surfing documentaries almost always including nice waves in the background. Both expensive destinations.

While touring South America last year our plane followed the coastline southwards from Northern Chile. From the window seat I saw many waves, beach and point breaks, probably never ridden, breaking in very isolated areas.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I've seen some serious slabs in Antarctica on a doco. It was a pumping left reef with some icebergs and Sea Lions floating around perfectly groomed by a stiff offshore. World class wave.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:48 pm

There is a documentary called Point Break about a gridiron quarterback who befriends some hippie bank robbers.
They surf some great waves somewhere in Victoria, but apparently they are really inconsistent.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Not only that, they surf an unknown left hander in Victoria that is accessible from Torquay train station.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 pm

petulance wrote:Not only that, they surf an unknown left hander in Victoria that is accessible from Torquay train station.
Oh well, there you go Steve. Get the train from the airport.
Oh! Sorry. Wrong thread. ))((
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 am

Jaws 2 when the cops kids head to a sandy island with a lighthouse in their little sailing boats. Pretty amazing left wrapping diagonally down the island, sand bottom long lined perfection.

That would be a classic locals secret for sure.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm

On Getaway or a show in the same vein, Frankie J. Holden is doing the great ocean road in a big yank tank convertible, red of course. He's at a beach known for whale watching down in swvics region, it is normally just short hollow peaks on the shore break, but while he is on the viewing deck talking to the camera, 2 guys are surfing a barreling lefthand bank at least 100m. long. the 2 guys took off one after the other and both got nice barrels, he then points down the beach toward town to point something else out,the camera pans in that direction and there is another bank just as good 200m. away with 2 guys riding. spoken to a few guys from there, it's pretty rare to get banks like that apparently.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Surf that very spot frequently. Pretty rare indeed and whenever it's over 4ft you do a lot of duckdiving and boards get broken. Packs a punch for it's size. I snapped a board in a little barrel I barely fit into
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Yeah, I have it on the to do list, I'll have to get down there with the caravan and have a good poke around, in the winter of course when every ones gone to indo. :wink:

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am

fong, a right? i'd come to expect better from you.
what's the point of having foreign countries if they have rights?
bomb the bastard till it's a left!
it can be done. a mate of my brother's changed the course of the murrimbidgee river with a few sticks of gelignite. it's now a left at jugiong.
fongss wrote:fox news tonite on the Korea nuke crisis

shots of u.s forces deploying on Guam

awesome right in the background barrelling thu :!:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm

While close by .............on a Sth Korean Island (the name escapes me) featured last Tuesday night on the ABC's "Foreign Correspondent" I saw what looked like waves. Windblown and cold but some potential.

BTW, the island is being used as a storage depot for nuclear waste. :(