Injuries

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Goouch

Injuries

Post by Goouch » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:27 pm

just wondering if anyone else has an injury thats are currently keeping them out of the surf as im not allowed in the sun for 6th months cause i have 2nd degree burns to 17 percent of my body.If any 1 want 2 share the war stories im sure im not the only unluck bastard out there

aaronn
barnacle

Re: Injuries

Post by aaronn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:51 pm

that sucks

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm

yea, i been out since early may. ive got a bulging disc in my neck that has flared up, and a couple of joints in the mid back that farked up, sending intense nerve pain down around right shoulder blade and into the arm. just as i got over that, i lifted a few bags of cement, and now i have permanent pins and needles
in half my right fingers, and it shoots up my arm. i need to get an MRI. ive been told i may not surf again.
ive been munching prescription painkillers like they are jelly beans. ive been snowboarding a few times this yr, it hasnt effected it, so at least i can still do something for now. but it is slowly killing me mentally. i cant even take a break form work. self employed. no work = no cash = cant make mortgage repayments :cry:
such is life

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Congenital spinal problem means I've had two surfs in 12 months. I know what you mean about mental torture.
Bad thing is, I now almost don't miss surfing. That's scary.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Fractured 5th metatarsal....good news is no ligament or tendon damage and the doc reckons its a good fracture. So i am hoping for 14 more days in a boot....but expecting 21. I only did it 4 days ago and i am just frothing to get the boot off, ditch the crutches and go surfing.
I suppose if you could pick a month to not surf it would be the middle of spring on the east coast. Cant wait to get wet again tho!
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:31 am

I've done my time out of the water:

1995 high femoral osteotomy right hip...6 months on crutches and 12 months out of the water

2005 revision osteotomy right hip...5 months on crutches, 1 month on a walking stick, another 12 months out of the water.

2011 Birmingham Hip Resurfacing right hip...10 days on crutches 6 months out of the water

all because of a pretty bad cycling accident, finished what was a mediocre triathlon and cycling career the worst way; slowly bit by bit!

The time passes and you get back into it when you're ready. The recovery in 2005/2006 was hard as I tried to get back in the water too soon and my leg wasn't strong enough yet. I couldn't get to my feet properly (natural footer) and right foot used to cross over my left - because my leg was made longer the tendons and muscles also had to stretch. Until they did I couldn't properly straighten the leg and that seemed to affect all kinds of things - like coordination and flexibility. I was a bit worried at first but once all the metal was removed things freed up and flexibility returned.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 am

brendo wrote:yea, i been out since early may. ive got a bulging disc in my neck that has flared up, and a couple of joints in the mid back that farked up, sending intense nerve pain down around right shoulder blade and into the arm. just as i got over that, i lifted a few bags of cement, and now i have permanent pins and needles
in half my right fingers, and it shoots up my arm. i need to get an MRI. ive been told i may not surf again.
ive been munching prescription painkillers like they are jelly beans. ive been snowboarding a few times this yr, it hasnt effected it, so at least i can still do something for now. but it is slowly killing me mentally. i cant even take a break form work. self employed. no work = no cash = cant make mortgage repayments :cry:
such is life
Very similar to my affliction and it's symptoms.
Can still surf but the pain chases me out of the water when the painkillers wear off and the pain and stiffness in my upper back and neck afterwards are highly annoying.
:(
Like I said though...at least I can still surf.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
brendo wrote:yea, i been out since early may. ive got a bulging disc in my neck that has flared up, and a couple of joints in the mid back that farked up, sending intense nerve pain down around right shoulder blade and into the arm. just as i got over that, i lifted a few bags of cement, and now i have permanent pins and needles
such is life
Very similar to my affliction and it's symptoms.
Can still surf but the pain chases me out of the water when the painkillers wear off and the pain and stiffness in my upper back and neck afterwards are highly annoying.
:(
Like I said though...at least I can still surf.

yea mate, but is it worth it long term? the disk could shit itself completly, then u wont be doing much at all let alone surf. my condition has improved somewhat, but still getting some pins and needles.i really need a scan, but i know it will be shit news. im not missing the surf that much now, i dont bother looking at it or it will do my head in. i gotta build my house over summer, so i wont even contemplate surfing till march. i got a season pass for perisher next yr, and snowboarding doesnt affect the nerve, so im putting my energy into that and teaching my daughter to ski, which was alot of fun.i did that this past winter, and i gotta say, i enjoyed that as much as surf days ive had in gland, or pow days in canada.
im selling a few boards if anyone is interested. a 6'3x181/8x21/8 hps, super low volume.$120 with m5 fins. also a pretty much brand new 6'3x185/8x25/16 step up round pin.$400 with m5s. pm me for pics

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I got a rooted left shoulder that dislocates every so often.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Got a nice fin chop surfing near DY lagoon couple years back. Went to bust the fins out when my back foot slipped over the board and i landed on the fins while the nose of the board speared into the sand. Snapped the nose of my board too, lucky it was only about 2 foot that day. I will post pics when i work it out.

JSB
regular

Post by JSB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Hmm hopes this works.
Attachments
phpmrPGUYAM.jpg
phpmrPGUYAM.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
phpHCmzL1AM.jpg
phpHCmzL1AM.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
phpc9f4e3AM.jpg
phpc9f4e3AM.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
php88EJQGAM.jpg
php88EJQGAM.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 5911 times

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:47 am

I have a scar under my lip from the nose of an old board in 1' slop.

I've also got some kind of issue with my knee from 1' slop. Don't remember doing anything painful but there's some kind of side loading issue, with sharp pain if loaded. Freaking annoying.

jamessurfsallday

Post by jamessurfsallday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm

sorry to hear you our out the water mate nothing worse, wishing you quick recovery