Sri Lanka

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus_h
charger

Sri Lanka

Post by marcus_h » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 am

Anyone been? Thinking of a solo mission mid to late July for a couple weeks.

If I don't get surf I suppose I can always join the Tamil Tigers, sure they could always do with one more.

Google hasn't been that helpful

Thanks dudes! :D

BA
Duke Status

Re: Sri Lanka

Post by BA » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am

Sorry Marcus, haven't been, but Smorgasboarder had an article on it. Check their website. Or you can order back issues I think.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:39 am

Cheers BA i'll check it out

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Plenty of videos here.

:Surfing Sri Lanka:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

From what I've heard it's the euro bali....every fecking Euro goes there for their surfing holiday.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Israelis actually.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Went there in 1982. April so I missed Aragun Bay just hung at Hikkadua. It was a cruisy little scene then. The waves a bit like Changu without the punch except the left is way fatter. You stay directly in front of the break so it was order breakfast and it might be ready by the time you finished surfing. Apparently the locals are quite heavy now which is funny since its a light wave. It is possible to get barrelled on the right :D but not very likely to happen. Great country, great people, great food, really interesting culture, basically like India but a tropical island.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm

reginald wrote:read the papers much?

The tammil tigers and most of the tammils were wiped out about a year ago.
It was pretty brutal too, here is some light viewing: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sri- ... fields/4od or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_eCLcp1Mc

The Sinhalese based government still continue to deny the atrocities ever took place and that Channel 4 and other independent observers fabricated the events.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 08, 2012 4:09 pm

I believe a few things have happened in Indonesia in the last 30 years too.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Not quite on the same scale. Sure there has been murder, corruption, terrorism, oppression and a bit of torture but I don't think it has ever gotten to scale of genocide. Perhaps in Irianjiabut I just don't think the Indos could ever be organised enough to embark on systematic genocide. Even in East Timor it wasn't genocide

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Sat May 12, 2012 9:22 am

Slowman wrote: I just don't think the Indos could ever be organised enough to embark on systematic genocide.
How about up to two million Indonesian communists and communist sympathisers killed in the backlash against an alleged attempt to overthrow the Sukarno government in 1965. How about over 250,000 deaths in East Timor following the invasion by Indonesia in 1975. There's a really strong case that the atrocities committed by the Indonesians in East Timor amounted to genocide, though it's never going to be prosecuted.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat May 12, 2012 10:21 am

Second time I went to Bali I had something like $200 to last me two weeks and I blew half of it the first day :roll: :roll:
Anyway this made me do things seriously on the cheap and use a lot of public transport and hang out with the locals rather than downing flaming sambuccas at the Bounty. This guy up at Ubud used to come over and have a bit of a rave when I was staying at his brothers losman. He told me about some of the things that had happened in Ubud during the communist purges in the sixties. People being shot everywhere. Chased through town and hunted down. Bodies in the waterways. Kind of reminded me of stories about the Spanish Civil War in For Whom the Bell Tolls. Since everyone had to keep living together and divisive talk was forbidden everything remained under the surface.

I was in Sri Lanka in 1982 before the Civil War there and blissfully unaware of much other than waves, where to score and the fact there was really good cheap food but not a lot of women available. We used to fire sky rockets up the main street at night. One time right between the legs of two policemen who were patrolling. Hired a van and driver and drove around the south of the island with an ebony chillum loaded most of the time. Drove into a Tamil Funeral by accident in Candy. Just saw all these angry faces. The civil war erupted not that long afterwards but its one place I always want to go back to.

We are so ridiculously lucky in this country.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Sun May 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Beanpole wrote:Second time I went to Bali I had something like $200 to last me two weeks and I blew half of it the first day :roll: :roll:
Anyway this made me do things seriously on the cheap and use a lot of public transport and hang out with the locals rather than downing flaming sambuccas at the Bounty. This guy up at Ubud used to come over and have a bit of a rave when I was staying at his brothers losman. He told me about some of the things that had happened in Ubud during the communist purges in the sixties. People being shot everywhere. Chased through town and hunted down. Bodies in the waterways. Kind of reminded me of stories about the Spanish Civil War in For Whom the Bell Tolls. Since everyone had to keep living together and divisive talk was forbidden everything remained under the surface.

I was in Sri Lanka in 1982 before the Civil War there and blissfully unaware of much other than waves, where to score and the fact there was really good cheap food but not a lot of women available. We used to fire sky rockets up the main street at night. One time right between the legs of two policemen who were patrolling. Hired a van and driver and drove around the south of the island with an ebony chillum loaded most of the time. Drove into a Tamil Funeral by accident in Candy. Just saw all these angry faces. The civil war erupted not that long afterwards but its one place I always want to go back to.

We are so ridiculously lucky in this country.
Couldn't go there without wanting to bring a family back, even 'tho' I'm not particularly in favour of immigration.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Daz I would rather live there myself than bring back a lucky few. The government isn't the people.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

davdfoge

Post by davdfoge » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for the link to the videos Trev, :D
How was your experience on the beaches marcus? have you visited Sri lanka?