What's to be done with SUPs

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: What's to be done with SUPs

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am

They got regulated hard from the primo spots around here.

They now surf at a couple of more mellow breaks and not mixed in with shortboarders at high qual pointbreaks.

It seems to be a very workable solution.

They are a vessel, and like a jetski or boat should stay clear of other surfers/swimmers.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 am

steve shearer wrote:They got regulated hard from the primo spots around here.

They now surf at a couple of more mellow breaks and not mixed in with shortboarders at high qual pointbreaks.

It seems to be a very workable solution.

They are a vessel, and like a jetski or boat should stay clear of other surfers/swimmers.
Hey Steve. Do you mean council regualtions - or peer presssure?
Don't really have a problem with either but they are, as you can imagine, becoming an issue up here.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

Some of the bullshit in this thread is breathtaking.
It's no wonder the world is such a fucked up place, everyone's so quick to classify people at face value, when they'd probably never subject themselves to the sort of scrutiny they use for others.
IMO its not about what you're riding (unless you're laying on yar belly) it's about how you conduct yourself in the surf and how you use and display your skills and knowledge.

Particularly in regards to SUP's however; FWIW I've never liked them and I'm surprised there hasn't been more injuries from them, I'm more surprised there isn't more ridicule of them, I remember back in the late 80s and early nineties any dope who paddled out on a goat boat was heckled out of the joint, but what? standing on yar goat boat is okay?? FFS.

Finally, as a bloke who rides both longer and shorter boards I will definitely not defend the conduct of many longboarders, likewise as a dude who's been on shortboards out with longboarders and heard other shortboarders whinging - Don't use the presence of mal riders as an excuse for your ineptitude in the water on your chosen craft -it's not that your not getting any waves because of the mal riders, your not getting any waves because you're not up to the task on your shiny white pro-copy-popout - I mean if you're not getting at least 8/10 of the waves you chose to paddle for, then something's amiss with you and or your board.

HTFU.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am

Confusing post Wands.

Around here they were "dissuaded" from surfing the primo spots.

And with good reason.

To be very fair the bloke who owns the local surf shop and is an Aussie champ on the SUP (Noel Graham) set an example in how these craft should stay away from black diamond shortboard waves.
Self regulation which set an example.

A SUP paddling out to Lenny Point will not find himself accepted into the line-up.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 am

Be careful what you wish for, steve. After the accident at currumbin there is/was a proposal to classify all surfboards as vessels
Ostensibly to make right of way simpler, but I'm sure rego crossed their mind
Somewhat ironically, that would increase the political power of surfers so that they would easily argue against the boaties

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 am

steve shearer wrote:Confusing post Wands.
Thankyou, I do my best.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:52 am

I wouldn't paddle my SUP out to a wave that is worth surfing on a shotboard, Lennox would be great fun though :) but I could surf it on a short board so that would be it. I surf waves that are not worth surfing on a short board, though there are some trying too, some guys get pissed cause I am catching alot of waves but most of them are uncachable on any other board, the local guy's understand I'm a pain in the ass whatever I ride.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 am

Not many around here, but I'm sure it won't be long. Was in the water awhile back and two SUPpers were out. Not real good at it. One gets a wave and I get one a couple later. I had a chuckle because he was on his knees trying to paddle back through the closeout. Got back out before him
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

The few i see round here so far seem to follow etiquette ( spelling? ) quite well. This morning the local SUP'er ( who is a long time surfer ) called me into a few he saw coming, cheers mate!. He can surf it quite well, in good sized hollow waves too, although he'll often paddle away from the pack for a few solo waves. Actually, his etiquette is perfect really. Like i said though, he was a long time surfer, so he knew the rules to start with.

Inexperienced people on ANY form of water craft can be dangerous/ignorant. On the other hand, experienced surfers who feel "entitled" are, IMHO the worst kind of prick out in the water. Luckily, where i surf, shortboarders, longboarders, midlength riders, SUP'ers, alaia riders all seem to follow simple rules. Then again, come the weekend mornings, anything is possible hahaha

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

I personally think SUP's don't have much of a place in metro lineups. At least half the ones I see are flailing about in semi-control, falling off half the time. I see one and I'm immeditaley on edge, worrying they're going to lose control and run me over with their paddle powered Bismark.

I see a good analogy with powered waterraft. If powered watercraft aren't allowed within say 20 metres of swimmers/surfers, then SUP's shouldn't be within 10 metres.

FFS, if they've got those great big paddles and they're great big watermen surely there's some secluded cove only you can only reach under paddle power for these great watermen to go surf?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:55 pm

swvic wrote:Not many around here, but I'm sure it won't be long. Was in the water awhile back and two SUPpers were out. Not real good at it. One gets a wave and I get one a couple later. I had a chuckle because he was on his knees trying to paddle back through the closeout. Got back out before him
There is a few over my side, usually piloted by overweight middle-aged men that really don't know what they are doing. i.e. they tend to go straight or just in a direct horizontal line.

As the others have said, if you know what you're doing, stay in shape and paddle well you'll get your fair share anyway.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

I'd love to see lennox swamped with them

and stevie boy's internal conflict as what to do would be priceless to observe

would he go all JD on them or convince them with a wonderful story about surfing, bringing a tear to their eye whilst they are whisked away on a whimsical wank,

maybe both

followed by a kiss and some chastising

and around it goes
Uni is not the real world.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

i have beaten the SUPs at their own game.

I occasionally surf a board thats up there with an SUP for wave catching.

When SUPs are in the line up I'll pull out the Flying Pig.

the pig, is a nasty pink and blue, 1989, 7'6" windsurfing wave board (yeah i know....but)
17 cm thick in the middle, and a superlight epoxy/ carbon stringer construction.

it surfs great, and by some miracle, the shape works.

it has sharp rails from tail to mid that grip in a vert wave face, despite the volume.
the pintail makes the board loose (well.. loose within reason..it can pull nice cutties for instance)
and it has a weird almost straight raked 8" single fin.

I have been called a clown by my mates for surfing it.(and fair enough)
but must of the time surfers that know their sh*t, after watching me get a few, will paddle over and ask me what type of board it is.

if SUPs are in the lineup then this thing will match them for wave catching, and out perform them by miles.

yeah, it looks weird, but im just out there to catch and smash a heap of waves, and whats the alternative?

surf all the reform scraps on the inside bank?.

it works good, so I'll surf it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

This thread has convinced me to buy a SUP.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Skipper I agree completely. I was refering to exactly that kind of situation.That guy who can surf knows when he's burning everyone. The trouble is the f*ckers can start paddling for a wave way past where anyone else could possibly catch one and kind of half look like theyre on half look like theyre not. Then if you take the chance your confronted with 12-16ft of SUP quickly picking up speed as it hits the bank properly. If its a peak a good SUP rider can change tack and go left or right across a really wide area.
If the guy can't handle it the last place you want to be is right next to him trying to take off as he gets pitched. Because often theres no where to go.

At least with mals you can suss out the chances of them catching the wave pretty easily.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 am

steve shearer wrote: A SUP paddling out to Lenny Point will not find himself accepted into the line-up.
Not even if it's shaped by a xxxx drinking, red-necked local?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 am

After I buy my SUP I'm heading straight to Lennox to learn how to ride the fcuker.

And god help Steven Shearer if he fails to acknowledge my shakas and "what up brahs?" as I traverse throughout the lineup in above the knee boardshorts.

It could be a documentary. Who wants to film it?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:01 am

"Steve and braithy's SUPtacular adventures" is the comedy smash hit of 2012, a funny, feel good movie about and odd surfing couple finding out about each other, and themselves, on the NSW north coast. Touching, hilarious and bound to make you wax up that old windsurfer.