Where are they now ??????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gibber
Local

Re: Where are they now ??????

Post by gibber » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:52 pm

most likely singing fitba tunes

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Saw kong at a party on the weekend....

He now runs Kong For Kids Swim School just north of Byron Bay, 2 indoor heated saltwater pools and he teaches kids to swim in the ocean too.... nice lifestyle change I reckon. My mate up there says the school is fantastic.

He's also still surfing and said he got out at kirra last weekend when it was amazing... better him than me, punishing guillotine barrels are not my style anymore and he's probably closer to 50 than 40.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Oh and Carwyn Williams lives in Hossegor i believe with the occasional visit to dragon land.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 pm

monkeyman wrote:Saw kong at a party on the weekend....

He now runs Kong For Kids Swim School just north of Byron Bay, 2 indoor heated saltwater pools and he teaches kids to swim in the ocean too.... nice lifestyle change I reckon. My mate up there says the school is fantastic.

He's also still surfing and said he got out at kirra last weekend when it was amazing... better him than me, punishing guillotine barrels are not my style anymore and he's probably closer to 50 than 40.
coincidentally, I was with some friends at the weekend who'd just come back from up north and visited him. This friend does acupunture on Kong quite regularly (which explains why he can still charge dredging barrels) when he comes down here. won't say where he's living tho probably no big secret,but he was showing me phone vid of Kong showing off his assortment of trophies. Including the massive headgear one for that Pipe win I guess. 8)

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone know of Matt "Doormat" Hepworth? Surfed with Cheyne Horan at Bondi in the 70s/80s.

Also, Greg Graham, Peter Dragar and Louie from North Narrabeen?

I think Greg's in Byron, but no idea about Peter or Louie.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

I can answer this simple question, they got old. There still around.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Zane Harrison. Saw him on Fuel yesterday tearing the bags out of it. Wasn't he the new wunderkind at one point?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 pm

he lives near me , used to skate his ramp in his backyard about 20 years ago, he ripped on a surfboard or skatey, not sure what he is up to, probably working as a builder with his old man...

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Anyone know of Matt "Doormat" Hepworth? Surfed with Cheyne Horan at Bondi in the 70s/80s.

Also, Greg Graham, Peter Dragar and Louie from North Narrabeen?

I think Greg's in Byron, but no idea about Peter or Louie.
peter dragar is still around. works for a smash repairer at mona vale. don't know what happened to Louie, of the famous Manor Parties.

Talking of people from NN, whatever happened to the Benbow brothers?
the tools of the trade are the head and the heart - mission of burma

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:13 pm

I bumped into Larry Blair in Bali, saw him at the same warung couple of times before going for surf at Turtle Island / beach (i cannae remember the indo name).

Nice guy, let me his phone when I got a message about my brother having a stroke. My phone carked it and I was stressing, he helped me out.

Cheers Laz !!!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Jeez, for a non-surfer you sure do a lot of surfing.

You aren't one of those breath-arians as well are ya?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:39 pm

I think I got 5 waves over those two days. It was siiiiiiiiiiiick !!!

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:06 pm

I just had Jeremy Byles "fix" a couple of boards for me at his "shop" in Byron. He's a character is a polite way to describe him. He did a rubbish job on the boards which his mate re-did up to crap standard. He was into the Coopers at 11 a.m. when I dropped the boards off. When I picked them up at 6 p.m. two days later he was fairly well oiled up and it took him 3 attempts to lock his shop, mentioning that shutting the mesh gates at the front reminded him of being locked in at Grafton gaol.
I gave him a lift to the RSL club and on the way he told me he'd been busted at the Rails by cops with dogs for a gram of coke just a few days earlier. He'd been barred from the Rails for a few years, apparently, and he seemed more concerned about being barred again than being charged with possession. Anyway, he told me he was able to get another gram the next day!
I've seen him out on big days and he's a great surfer still. Maybe the ASP needs a programme to look after it's people more instead of just hand picking a few cleanskins for marketing purposes and tossing the rest in the too hard basket or watching them go down the Andy Irons path.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Not sure I'd be calling Byron "the country" now.
Not sure what all the fuss is about with that place these days?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Proud, hell yeah. He got back into the Rails and didn't kick the sniffer dog in the guts when it came his way.
And turned an honest buck and got a free trip to the R-ey.
Did you buy him a beer Little?

Still, I agree, can't compare to the thrill one gets from getting served the latest app from some pencil-neck wearing a badge at the Genius Bar, or that awesome sense of possibility one gets from sitting in public transport with an anonymous mob of shiney-shoe clad zombies on their way to the cubicle for the day.

Shame Steinbeck never got to 69 Shirley to watch Bylsey and Herro in action, he would wrote a far better book that Cannery Row.

PS I hope he stays out of the pen. He's got a young family to feed. And I hope he gets clean again soon. He was doing really well there for a while.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Funny I was looking at this surfing book in dymocks to waste some time last week and it was called Top 100 Great Oz Surfers or something. It said Ted Spencer after dropping out to become a Hari Krishna was now selling real estate in Hawaii :shock: :shock:
Thats a turn around.

Also featured some pictures of a young Nick Carroll looking serious and subversive....and being dropped in on by his little brother in Hawaii.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

didnt tracks run a cover shot mid 70s of ted spencer......labelled when i surf i dance for krishna ?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 am

Hes on Kauai ; in shape and surfing.

Not a bad place for a morning of the earth stalwart to end up.