*** BREAKING NEWS*** Bali Being Spoiled By Tourism

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

eel
regular

*** BREAKING NEWS*** Bali Being Spoiled By Tourism

Post by eel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm not old enough to remember when Denpasar airport was nothing more than a tin shed, nor can i remember surfing Kuta with my doodle out after lunging a few billys on the sand.

But I can remember taking off on the inside after patiently waiting my turn and not get blatently dropped in on by a Jap each time and then told by the Balos that they are allowed to do that because they,"Pay alot of money" and if I don't like it go somewhere else.

With a new hotel on Keramas and Villas springing up elsewhere on the same coast I think this will become more of the norm.

I also don't remember Hot Russian trophy wives without bikini etticit on deck chairs out the front of Nusa Dua hotels one leg pointing to Green Balls the other to Sanur whilst getting out of the water. So its not all bad.
Last edited by eel on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eel
regular

Re: *** BREAKING NEWS*** Bali Being Spoiled By Tourism

Post by eel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Done

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Must be really sad for the guys who started going in the 70 early 80's, even since ive been going in the 90's ive seen huge change, very sad to see whats happened and happening to Ullus and dream land, canggu, even kuta which you think couldn't get any worse, is getting worse looking more like Jakarta.

Used by date well and truelly expired.

Just as weird is the fact people pay western prices for property and move there, when you can get dirt cheap places in other places in Indo without localism and true indo living cost.

Thank god Indo is a huge place, me Bali was a great place to party when I was young, now its just a place to pass through on route to better places.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Sorry, first went in 82. I still enjoy going there. You can get out of the main rat race and see how beautiful the rest of the place is. Theres still parts I haven't checked out and I think they handle everything amazingly well. Last time I took the kids and that actually made it a lot better. Surfed Medowi with my son when he was in primary school and he was stoked. Wanted to move there. He wanted to learn Indo and we looked into it a little bit but that didn't go anywhere much. Pity cause its so easy and used in Malaysia as well. They used to teach it more 20 years ago. Funny, they don't teach Chinese much but they still concentrate on Japanese in Australian Schools.

Wouldn't mind living over there for a while actually.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Beanpole wrote:Sorry, first went in 82. I still enjoy going there. You can get out of the main rat race and see how beautiful the rest of the place is. Theres still parts I haven't checked out and I think they handle everything amazingly well. Last time I took the kids and that actually made it a lot better. Surfed Medowi with my son when he was in primary school and he was stoked. Wanted to move there. He wanted to learn Indo and we looked into it a little bit but that didn't go anywhere much. Pity cause its so easy and used in Malaysia as well. They used to teach it more 20 years ago. Funny, they don't teach Chinese much but they still concentrate on Japanese in Australian Schools.

Wouldn't mind living over there for a while actually.
Suprissed to hear that from someone who went for the first time so long ago, yes it is true though that once you get out of the touristy areas there is still nice areas.

Yes I can see how Medewi would be great as a grom spot.

Bahasa Indonesia, is also a really easy language to learn compared to other asian languages, im lucky my wife is indonesian so im close to fluent which is extremely rewarding when traveling in Indo.

Yes Bahasa Indonesia is bassed on Bahasa Malay, and all the books say how similar they are, but in reality over time everyday spoken Bahasa Indonesia has become so slangy and evolved into its own language that when an Indonesian person mets a Malaysian and they speak, they can communicate but they both walk away a little conffused as there so many words that are now different and same words that have different meanings.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:44 pm

OK that's enough of the reasonable conversation.

Let's move on to who is to blame for this terrible state of affairs.

That's what the internet is good for -- blaming people! So now we know Bali is being Spoiled by Tourism, who fcuken did it?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Its a toss up between Tony Abbott and Roy Stewart although Tommy S may have had something to do with it.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:OK that's enough of the reasonable conversation.

Let's move on to who is to blame for this terrible state of affairs.

That's what the internet is good for -- blaming people! So now we know Bali is being Spoiled by Tourism, who fcuken did it?
We all ruined it...

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Ha ha yes and Tommy Soeharto

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:55 am

The answer is MORNING OF THE EARTH
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 am

Blame the Ozzies, I mean shit, they drink beer at bars there...

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Indo dreaming wrote: Yes I can see how Medewi would be great as a grom spot.
I'll have to check that out that next time I'm on the island.
Indo dreaming wrote: Bahasa Indonesia, is also a really easy language to learn compared to other asian languages, im lucky my wife is indonesian so im close to fluent which is extremely rewarding when traveling in Indo.
I'm probably biased but I'll agree that Bahasa Indo is probably the easiest South East Asian (or even East Asian) language to learn. It is completely phonetic and the grammar rules are simple.
Indo dreaming wrote: Yes Bahasa Indonesia is bassed on Bahasa Malay, and all the books say how similar they are, but in reality over time everyday spoken Bahasa Indonesia has become so slangy and evolved into its own language that when an Indonesian person mets a Malaysian and they speak, they can communicate but they both walk away a little conffused as there so many words that are now different and same words that have different meanings.
I think Bahasa Indonesia was created from Bahasa Melayu (which became Bahasa Malaysia later on) in the 1920s. I would still say that they are 70 - 80% similar. Of course, both languages have evolved differently over time and I'm not up to date on the slang in both languages. However, based on my limited experiences in Indo (Bali and Medan), I get the feeling that Bahasa Indonesia has kept some of terms that have long been phased out of Bahasa Malaysia.

e.g. "toko" which means "shop". You will hardly find that term being used in Malaysia now. The term "kedai" is used. "Toko" can still be found on shop signs in the old parts of town and in text books from the 50s/60s.

Some other differences off the top of my head

mobil - kereta
speda motor - motorsikal
benzin - petrol / minyak
bandar udara - lapangan terbang
tetanga - jiran
tamu - tetamu

Though my favourite term that is different is "bisa". It means "poison" in Bahasa Malaysia.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

saucy gibbon
barnacle

Post by saucy gibbon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:08 pm

up your kabah !!!

And bite my terima kashih !!
Uni is not the real world.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm

From my experience it's mostly f-wits from the sunshine coast (or groups of them) that's done it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 pm

ˆˆ I dunno ... I had an experience or two with some guys from WA. Well not me personally, but guys I was with did.
Last edited by crabmeat thompson on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I think Bahasa Indonesia was created from Bahasa Melayu (which became Bahasa Malaysia later on) in the 1920s. I would still say that they are 70 - 80% similar. Of course, both languages have evolved differently over time and I'm not up to date on the slang in both languages. However, based on my limited experiences in Indo (Bali and Medan), I get the feeling that Bahasa Indonesia has kept some of terms that have long been phased out of Bahasa Malaysia.

e.g. "toko" which means "shop". You will hardly find that term being used in Malaysia now. The term "kedai" is used. "Toko" can still be found on shop signs in the old parts of town and in text books from the 50s/60s.

Some other differences off the top of my head

mobil - kereta
speda motor - motorsikal
benzin - petrol / minyak
bandar udara - lapangan terbang
tetanga - jiran
tamu - tetamu

Though my favourite term that is different is "bisa". It means "poison" in Bahasa Malaysia.
Actually bisa is used in Bahasa Indonesia for poison also but not poison from bottle thats racun, but bisa is poison from like animal like snake venom.

offcourse bisa more commonly used to ask question.

funny how the bahasa malay words are often very similar in subject matter but totally different in meaning.
Last edited by Indo dreaming on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 pm

On the topic of places being ruined - anyone been to NSW lately? Seriously the joint is full of people, and surfers, and hotels and resorts, and dont even start me on all the badly behaved mexicans on holiday drinking our beer in our pubs. Back in '82 you could surf all the point breaks with your wang hanging out - nowadays... >><<

In all seriousness, the blame for the parlous state of affairs in Bali lies solely with all the euro chicks who want, nay need, their brains bonked out by aussie surfers...this unbridled lust precipitated the migration of mincing, tri-hard euro surfers who followed their lost women down the backpacker trail...followed by everyone else

What we need is some cataclysmic event to wipe out approximately half the worlds population - meteor or volcano would be my preference (wars are a nasty, messy business and the possible negative impacts of earthquakes on coral reefs is too great a risk). About 100 years later when the ash has cleared, life will be much better for the survivors. :twisted:

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Bet cha in 100 years you won't be amongst the survivors either! >><<
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?