Cutbacks on a longboard

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

buzzy
barnacle

Cutbacks on a longboard

Post by buzzy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Ok, I'm inevitably going to reveal how crap I am on a longboard...nay, probably crap on any sort of a board...but here goes. And I'll probably put a shaper nose out of joint in revealing a dirty little secret about my quiver.

So, my "problem" is cutbacks on a longboard. Coming from a shortboard background I didn't immediately realise, but did after a while, that I needed to walk the board a bit to perform cutbacks. I realised I needed to get down toward the tail. So now I can do a cutback without toppling like a stone statue onto my back as I bank and the board goes nowhere, but the cutbacks are slow. There's a foam bounce but not because I'm bringing the nose around to point at and bounce off the foam - I'm maybe at 45 degrees to the vertical (if that makes any sense). Then the crumbly foam gives my ankles a bit of a push and off we go again. I was watching some pro-longboarding the other day and saw that they had snappy cutbacks, seemingly generating drive from their fins and having a nice energetic foam bounce. I can't seem to do that (although can do so on a shortboard). What gives? Now to the dirty secret. My longboard is a chinese shaped generic board with black plastic fins. My excuse is I'm not a longboarder,and I only planned to use it on tiny days where it was too small to use anything else, and it was cheap. However, I do wonder if my difficulty is due to crap technique, a crap board, or a combination of both.

Any tips?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Cutbacks on a longboard

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:54 pm

buzzy wrote:
So, my "problem" is cutbacks on a longboard. Coming from a shortboard background I didn't immediately realise, but did after a while, that I needed to walk the board a bit to perform cutbacks.
The only reason why you need to walk the board in order to cut back is because it is a 'mal' which is the most badly designed surfboard type of all time.

Well designed longboards don't require walking in order to cut back. They are almost non existent however as the global surf industry has decred that overcoming bad design via inefficient walking is 'classic style' and therefore you all have to do it.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I clicked on your new vid last week Roy, hoping that maybe there would be something different for a change.......I thought , same same.......and then I actually saw something that surprised me....you walked... yes , you actually walked. I think an explanation is called for here.... :shock:

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:13 pm

That was not walking.

Calm efficiency is as usual beyond your ken it seems.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:14 pm

kayu wrote:
I clicked on your new vid last week Roy, hoping that maybe there would be something different for a change.......I thought , same same..

:
It's both: The same as myself and different from everyone else.

8)

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:47 pm

My kens fine thanks......you walked...no doubt about it..an explanation is in order... :?:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm

One possible explanation is you have obviously moved slightly towards more commonly used dimmensions in both rocker , planshape and weight ,which would allow you more options for performance....

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm

A few minor foot movements have always been part of my surfing, clearly these are subtle and unlike the walking required of malibu riders.

The board being ridden is one of my oldest designs and does not noseride, it has the sweet spot which malibus lack... hence no need to pedal up and down it.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:34 pm

kayu wrote:One possible explanation is you have obviously moved slightly towards more commonly used dimmensions in both rocker , planshape and weight ,which would allow you more options for performance....
More absolute poppycock, the rocker is the same as the Ghost 13 footer and 12 footer, the weight is heavier than the Ghost 12 and lighter than the Ghost 13.... and the planshape is the same as all boards in the series.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm

....sure it is Roy.. 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 am

hook line and sinker is the saying I think :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:44 am

kayu wrote:....sure it is Roy.. 8)
You are thread hijacking, this thread is about cutbacks on a longboard if you wish to post uninformed nonsense about the Earl do it on the Earl thread.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:47 am

diggerdickson wrote:hook line and sinker is the saying I think :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not really.. history has shown that he actually believes his own BS.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:32 am

Actually Roy, this thread is about a guy asking for some advice , not an opportunity for you to hang more shit on surfboards you dont ride and dont understand... :roll:

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:39 am

buzzy wrote:Ok, I'm inevitably going to reveal how crap I am on a longboard...nay, probably crap on any sort of a board...but here goes. And I'll probably put a shaper nose out of joint in revealing a dirty little secret about my quiver.

So, my "problem" is cutbacks on a longboard. Coming from a shortboard background I didn't immediately realise, but did after a while, that I needed to walk the board a bit to perform cutbacks. I realised I needed to get down toward the tail. So now I can do a cutback without toppling like a stone statue onto my back as I bank and the board goes nowhere, but the cutbacks are slow. There's a foam bounce but not because I'm bringing the nose around to point at and bounce off the foam - I'm maybe at 45 degrees to the vertical (if that makes any sense). Then the crumbly foam gives my ankles a bit of a push and off we go again. I was watching some pro-longboarding the other day and saw that they had snappy cutbacks, seemingly generating drive from their fins and having a nice energetic foam bounce. I can't seem to do that (although can do so on a shortboard). What gives? Now to the dirty secret. My longboard is a chinese shaped generic board with black plastic fins. My excuse is I'm not a longboarder,and I only planned to use it on tiny days where it was too small to use anything else, and it was cheap. However, I do wonder if my difficulty is due to crap technique, a crap board, or a combination of both.

Any tips?
If you want to ride a modern high performance longboard ,Buzzy, best bet is to get a real one. There's plenty of good Aussie shapers around that know exactly what you need.......

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:41 am

.....and the bonus is , it will have good resale value if you look after it , compared to the Chinese one... :)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm

I've ridden mals and understand them very well, 'high peformance' is aptly applied to them only in the sense of 'stage show'.

My comment was apt and on topic Kayu, your on the other hand were your usual rank trolling, bloody internet stalker :roll:

I stand by what I said, walking to the tail to turn is only necessary on mals because they are an appalling design concept, they are not really longboards either by the way.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:43 pm

....you still walked goober !.. :lol: