Take Away dim-SIM

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Take Away dim-SIM

Post by Skipper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 pm

How 'bout some shots of it under the Harbour Bridge or off the Oprah House.
Maybe even skurfing it behind a pair of 225 yammies?
:roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 pm

yeah, whatever, just some fuckin pics for fuck sake, I just fell like fuckin swearing for fuckin once...
that feels fucking better :roll:

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:35 pm

skipper wrote:... Maybe even skurfing it behind a pair of 225 yammies? :roll:
despite my patrician demeanour, i'm not above trying out westie pursuits. so do i just buy a regular ticket?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Okay, so after surfing the board three times in different types of wave each session, heres my verdict.

The summary: In waves with some push or with some wall, the thing absolutely takes off and flies. Its like hydrofoiling above the water once it really gets going and barely looses any speed when you turn it due to the wide tail keeping you up, out of the water. The tail never skipped out with the fins quite large and set so far back, even on sucking rip-bowl waves or in the barrel. In fact it just goes faster and faster the more power the wave gives it.

The first session in smaller waves felt a little strange and I wasn't used to how snappy the turns are off the tail, and it felt hard to pump it to get it going. I started to get the hang of it in the last session in even more terrible waves, connecting plenty of turns in and above the lip and cutting back, all in 1-2ft wind-blown junk. I think NC is onto something, there feels like a loss of efficiency going on off the front foot, and on more drawn out turns. Then again the last surf in junk felt really fun once I was used to it.

The board seems to need much smoother and more subtle body English, particularly when pumping the board. This made me feel like a super cool-cat. Most of the control was through subtle shifts of the ankles and use of the shoulders, with nice and relaxed arms. I'm used to boards that prefer you to be active to keep pumping speed into the board, so this took some getting used to.

In all of the mini-boards I've surfed, I've noticed that they all have a very small sweet spot, with all of the apexes of the curves meeting up in a very small point before they transition. This seems to mean the front foot slightly off makes it feel a little off, too far forward and it feels like you're fighting the curves of the board, too far back and its sinking the tail a little too much and not planing properly. The difference between the two spots can be really small I've noticed. Its the same in my dim-SIM.

The fins being so far back did give it a feeling of oversteer as NC was describing, with it preferring short snappy turns off the tail. This helped it on the backhand however, making it really easy to hook up into the lip. I was really surprised by how happy this board was for top-to-bottom surfing, especially on the backhand. It could make some very tight arcs when I asked it to.

Strangely enough, this is actually the sort of board I would want for waves with some quality. Just to feel like of was flying or hydrofoiling above the water, going super fast and enjoying the pure speed feeling. On a fast wave with some wall its just pure lift-off. Its definitely not a board for ball-tearing surfing as the volume and width make it hard to dominate and throw around, and a little hard to pump in smaller waves (although as I got used to it pumping got much easier).

My preferences would want a more forward widepoint, the fins set further forward and some deep double with vee through the tail. I think this would just make it a little easier to throw around in smaller junk and work for speed yourself by pumping, dropping and weaving. Seeing as it went so well in more quality waves, thats another story and worth it for the pure speed experience alone :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:38 am

Stu from Swellnet has it now but waves have been big and messy, plus he has been crook, should be some info on his time with the board soon...think he has a wave in mind to test her out in and hanging til the conditions are suitable..... 8)

not sure who is next, LessorMORE or Topher I think...L or M is taking it on a roady early Sept.... 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah Mark, if I can get it on or around the 9th of Sep in Sydney I can have it back to whoever's next a week later.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 pm

cool...there's been several guys contact me via my web-site but I dont know there names, if you are out there and still keen, please email me again...or post here and we'll get it sorted.....

L or M, where's the roady ? any mates gunna see if they can ride a 5'2" ? 8)

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:01 pm

pridmore wrote:
South of Sydney- somewhere/ anywhere between The Gong and Ulludulla.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm

lessormore wrote:
pridmore wrote:
South of Sydney- somewhere/ anywhere between The Gong and Ulludulla.
My favourite stretch of coast. :D Enjoy!

Send me a PM lessormore and we can meet up at the end of your trip if ya want.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Topher wrote: Send me a PM lessormore and we can meet up at the end of your trip if ya want.
Will do.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I've had a few surfs on it and am ready to pass it on. Who's up? Was it you Topher...?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:02 am

Dont forget the gong guys, we'd love to try it out for a bit!

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:19 am

2nd Reef wrote:I've had a few surfs on it and am ready to pass it on. Who's up? Was it you Topher...?
Yeah - keen to have a crack. You northside? Dunno when I could get out there - Monday? Send me a PM if ya want.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Who has the dim-SIM at the moment?

I just had an offer from a guy who lives at Tamarama to come and take shots in the early morning, afternoon or sundays. He said if a bunch of us are going for a surf to just let him know and give him some guys to shoot. He doesn't have a professional front yet, so just wants some guys to practice with.

We could tee up a surf and get some action shots of the dim-SIM?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:42 pm

sounds good mate, ope it happens..... 8)

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm still wating for 2nd reef to PM back. If you are northside too you may as well try and grab it. I'm not really going to be able to squeeze any surfing in untill the weekend and into early next week,

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Any updates? 2nd Reef? Lessormore?

I will be in shellharbour 1st week in oct, so If I end up with the board then - could take it down there for any 'gong guys.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Topher wrote:Any updates? 2nd Reef? Lessormore?

I will be in shellharbour 1st week in oct, so If I end up with the board then - could take it down there for any 'gong guys.
maybe contact him ( 2nd reef- Stu ) via Swellnet.....but I think Captn is trying to get it this weekend for some pics.... :?: 8)