Show us your guns!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Show us your guns!

Post by Cuttlefish » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Here's my 8'6" DVS.
Just bought it from a friend.
I was talking to him about looking for a longboard with a pulled in nose and he said he'd sell me his DVS.
Bugger all to do with a pulled in longboard though this kind of board can be a tonne of fun to ride in the small stuff as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Show us your guns!

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Here's my 8'6" DVS.
Just bought it from a friend.
I was talking to him about looking for a longboard with a pulled in nose and he said he'd sell me his DVS.
Bugger all to do with a pulled in longboard though this kind of board can be a tonne of fun to ride in the small stuff as well.
Good stuff cuttlefish. Something like the yellow board I've got on loan from Fong. 8'10 "but his has a more rounded tail. Bring it down to my local when the swell is right. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 am

I remember that board Trev.
I love guns. Crazy (for here) big guns not a 6'6" with a pulled in tail type guns. :shock:
Thing about them is they can be surfed more often than most think.
Especially this one as it has thickness right through nose and tail.
Just have to put up with stupid comments from people. :roll:
I was surfing Broken head this past week and when it was only 2' on Wed but with fast hollow walls the above gun would have been a blast.
When I paddled out there was only 4 longboarders out.
But in no time at all there was 25+ as the Pass hipsters must have all texted each other. :roll:
However, the waves speed was beating most. :)
I borrowed a 7'6" X 23" X 3 &1/4" 7T (short board nose/swallow tail) board from Michael Cundith to ride when it was small and was having a ball pumping down the line for speed and then stalling into little tubes that I had to fold my body into. :D
I've ridden a 9' Michael Cundith gun which was made to surf Sunset out at the Pass when it's been 2-3' low tide and hollow and it was great fun paddling past all the longboarders in the rip which was running like a set of rapids.
Hands down the fastest paddling board I've ever been on.
The Cadillac feel of a big board like this on small waves is something most will never know. A different feel from longboards.
I reckon I'll have fun out the Bluff on this too. :wink:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 am

Cuttlefish wrote:I remember that board Trev.
I love guns. Crazy (for here) big guns not a 6'6" with a pulled in tail type guns. :shock:
Thing about them is they can be surfed more often than most think.
Especially this one as it has thickness right through nose and tail.
Just have to put up with stupid comments from people. :roll:
I was surfing Broken head this past week and when it was only 2' on Wed but with fast hollow walls the above gun would have been a blast.
When I paddled out there was only 4 longboarders out.
But in no time at all there was 25+ as the Pass hipsters must have all texted each other. :roll:
However, the waves speed was beating most. :)
I borrowed a 7'6" X 23" X 3 &1/4" 7T (short board nose/swallow tail) board from Michael Cundith to ride when it was small and was having a ball pumping down the line for speed and then stalling into little tubes that I had to fold my body into. :D
I've ridden a 9' Michael Cundith gun which was made to surf Sunset out at the Pass when it's been 2-3' low tide and hollow and it was great fun paddling past all the longboarders in the rip which was running like a set of rapids.
Hands down the fastest paddling board I've ever been on.
The Cadillac feel of a big board like this on small waves is something most will never know. A different feel from longboards.
I reckon I'll have fun out the Bluff on this too. :wink:
Yep. Lotsa speed and with the rounded tail, turns beautifully too. Strangely, all I've had is favourable comments and genuine interest. All agree there's a certain type of day at my local, about 2 or 3 times a year when it'll be "the" board. Not sure I'll be the right guy to ride it on those days though, but I'll have a go. :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:23 pm

For a minute there i thought this was a thread about bicepts.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:27 pm

However my acquisition was short lived.
The board was featured at my mate's wedding and when the wife's heard about him selling it he was told to get it back forthwith.
So back to him it must go. :cry:
Now where's the guns?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Shit. Hard luck mate. :(

hang on.................. "The board was featured at my mate's wedding and when the wife's heard about him selling it he was told to get it back forthwith."

You're kidding, right? :shock:
Beanpole

Skipper

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:27 pm

She's a keeper

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Tall tales but 100% true.
Oh well...I can always buy back an MC longboard gun I sold a mate.
Shame the DVS was only $300 too.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:36 pm

....an 8 footer.. :)
Attachments
gull-wing 005.jpg
gull-wing 004.jpg

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Noice!

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, I was going to give the red gun back to its rightful owner tomorrow but looking at the forecast by Shearer this afternoon I may have to try for a stay of execution and see if I can keep it for the week. 8)
Hoohaa! What a forecast for Sth East Qld/NE NSW. :D

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 am

ImageImage

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:48 am

ImageImage

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am

ImageImage

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Hey WingNut they sure are cool looking pintails. I'm a sucker for the shape and will almost always opt for similar. Care to put some dimensions to them - just for curiosity sake. Again though nice sticks

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 am

Hey Jorgo,

All of these boards are Friedman Flyers, made by Steve Freidman...he's previously spent quite a bit of his life living on Maui so I believe he has an affinity with guns.

The first 7'8" was his personal board that was never waxed or ridden but was for sale so I couldn't say no to it, actually I haven't ridden it myself yet. I'm unsure of the glass job but doesn't feel as heavy as some I've previously purchased. I usually go heavy in the glass...thought this board would be good for "Big Left" at Flinders, Vic on large fat days when extra paddle power is req.

The second is a 7'2" glassed strong, a beautiful solid board to ride. Just flows so nicely and is great through waves with some chop in them, still quite maneuverable too. This is a go anywhere board for me...

The third is a step-up 6'6" I had made, feels just like a shortboard but with nicer flow off the tail. Glassed strong again so feels more solid than the average shorty. Good for solid days without any skip in it, not overly touchy and paddles really well.

I have one other really nice Friedman gun, I think it's a 7'6" single fin but in epoxy rather than PU like the previous three. I don't have any pics as of yet but can get some soon if wanted?

I also have a Speedneedle Widowmaker made by Josh Dowling that feels gunny to me but probably shouldn't be in this catagory...fantastic board that is so light and strong...called "The Traveller". I'll never part with this board, EVER!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 pm

This is Fong's board. I've posted pics elsewhere on here. But it deserves a showing in this thread. I'm "minding"it while Fong is interstate. 8)
8'10"
Beanpole

Skipper