Take Away dim-SIM

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Re: Take Away dim-SIM

Post by scod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:52 am

geez, it went so fast that blokes hair blew orf !!!

Balts

Post by Balts » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Will this beast make it to Vic?

Would love to test it out! :D

Cheers, Balts

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

PM me your details and I'll let you know if we can get it to you, if theres other interest from people down that way, it'll be more likely..thanks for the interest... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Looks good Steve.
They ARE dolphins in pics six and eight aren't they. :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah, and Tyler Wright is in there too, totally underwhelmed by my high voltage shredding.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:14 pm

dont let her have a go on it :roll: :lol:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 am

Steve after riding the dim sim how would you compare the way it surfs to twin keel fish you've ridden?
Only a rat can win the rat race.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 am

Cuttlefish, I'll chime in here if thats ok.
I have ridden a 5'7 twin keel for the last few years on and off.

For me, the dim sim felt very similar to the twin keel in the way that it gets up to speed really quickly and feels quite flat rocker wise under your feet.

That is where the similarities end though.
The dim sim outperforms the twin keel when it comes to handling and responsiveness.
The twin keel feels slippery when there is a lot of water moving around and doesnt like not being on a rail all the time. The Dim sim feels really solid under foot and never felt like spinning out.

The dim sim come out of bottom turns better with more speed to get a bit more vertical. This was probably a combo of the shortness and the fact I felt more confident it wouldnt slide out mid turn.

They both are good for doing a nice big cutback as they keep they're speed well through turns but the dim sim is a lot easier to change direction when you get back to the whitewash. the twin keel tends to track a bit and is harder to spin back around on the foam. hence I tend to cut my cutbacks a bit short and go straight into another bottom turn instead.

I would recommend it over a twin keel any day.
Scot

PS
Anyone want to buy a 5'7 twin keel with dark blue resin tint?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your take on them. :)
I've ridden a lot of twin keel fish and now my 5'6" DMS mini so was curious to see how Steve perceived the differences as I know he's no fan of twin keel fish but is enjoying the mini simm's feel.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I think Scot nailed it.

I second his comments wholeheartedly and in fact if he was here right now I would chink glasses with him and say "hear, hear".

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 am

Priddy,
That thing coming to Newy yet??

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

it is mate but seems to be taking a bit longer than first planned...Shearer has it and still enjoying it but next in line is Andrew Kidman but he is away on tour with his band and there was mix up with dates of when he'd be right to take the board, the 14th of June was mentioned but tis July actually so its hanging around with Steve til then, he has also plans for some footage of it, so that'd be great, sorry for delay mate but it'll get there...also not sure how to get it from Lennox to newy area, so if you know anybody travelling that way in a few weeks, please let me know.....thanx 8)

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I'll keep an eye out for it in September when i get home. :?:
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 pm

scot wrote:Cuttlefish, I'll chime in here if thats ok.
I have ridden a 5'7 twin keel for the last few years on and off.

For me, the dim sim felt very similar to the twin keel in the way that it gets up to speed really quickly and feels quite flat rocker wise under your feet.

That is where the similarities end though.
The dim sim outperforms the twin keel when it comes to handling and responsiveness.
The twin keel feels slippery when there is a lot of water moving around and doesnt like not being on a rail all the time. The Dim sim feels really solid under foot and never felt like spinning out.

The dim sim come out of bottom turns better with more speed to get a bit more vertical. This was probably a combo of the shortness and the fact I felt more confident it wouldnt slide out mid turn.

They both are good for doing a nice big cutback as they keep they're speed well through turns but the dim sim is a lot easier to change direction when you get back to the whitewash. the twin keel tends to track a bit and is harder to spin back around on the foam. hence I tend to cut my cutbacks a bit short and go straight into another bottom turn instead.

I would recommend it over a twin keel any day.
Scot

PS
Anyone want to buy a 5'7 twin keel with dark blue resin tint?

Scot (& others?)

Just wondering how these comments relate to the more traditional mini-simmons with the larger wooden keel-type fins, as opposed to the smaller/more modern FCS fins Mark is using in the dim-sim.

Do you reckon they sit somewhere between a twin keel fish shape and the sim?

scot
regular

Post by scot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

Damo, I cant comment on that as I havnt ridden one but I would guess that Mark has done quite a few tweaks on those original style mini simmons and that makes a lot of diffrerence.

I would liken it to comparing a twin keel fish to a high performance twin fin. Same number of fins and rough planshape but lots of differences in how they perform.

Scot

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:59 pm

I have been told that the mini-simmons with more traditional half-moon keels tend to surf quite tracky, particularly with the wide-tailed parallel planshape.

I actually like surfing normal M5 type fins in mine to get a bit of tail release while the fins are set so far back, and that is super fun to surf. Mark's has extra rocker and tail curve than mine, so I can imagine the keels with a little bit of rake that he uses would be super fun. I'm looking forward to surfing the take-away dim-SIM to feel the difference :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

your first Captn, then the boys from Swellnet are doing a bit of test and review, there's a few others who are keen but not sure how it'll pan out, see when it gets down there....can anyone help with getting it to Newy from Lennox or from Newy to Sydney, ?, :?: please PM if you can.....gotta get it down there somehow.... 8) keen Sydeney test pilots should PM in next week or so.... 8)