Surf Etiquette in the Line-up

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: Surf Etiquette in the Line-up

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:48 pm

happyripper wrote:wow your original headjobber. Yeah well when Im old I plan to be fit enough to mix it with the rest of the crew. Not be a slow old has been that has to resort to violence or get a fat talking about the local tuff guys getting violent with a few kooks. Is that you headjobber, do you like to watch?
Pay him no heed.
It's the arrogance of youth and perceived immortality.
Same arrogance that see's carloads of P platers wrapped around telephone poles, trees or other unsuspecting drivers.
Everyone gets older and your body decays.
You cannot outrun father time!
The percentage of people that are both old and fit are miniscule in our society and getting lower every day with processed food and easy living.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Headlander

Post by Headlander » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Well well nappyripper, you do seem to have some anger management issues don't you? Maybe you will mellow out when you get a bit older, like in your 20s say.
Marcus, thats what happens at most places if you snake.So what your saying is if you don't want it happening to you, wait your turn especially if you know the person you just paddled inside of has been waiting their turn or cop the dropin or abuse on the chin. The way you describe is what manners are about and I wish more people would go about it your way!

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:27 pm

happyripper wrote:wow your original headjobber. Yeah well when Im old I plan to be fit enough to mix it with the rest of the crew. Not be a slow old has been that has to resort to violence or get a fat talking about the local tuff guys getting violent with a few kooks. Is that you headjobber, do you like to watch?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:14 pm

^^^^^^^^^

Yep. I can't work out whether happy is just looking for a bite or an absolute idiot. Either way, I'd like to meet him in the surf. :wink:

Oh. Sorry. maybe he hasn't graduated from the skate park yet. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 pm

You'd be welcome to watch me catch waves trev.
tomtom wrote: Im daddy's special boy

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Headlander wrote:Well well nappyripper, you do seem to have some anger management issues don't you? Maybe you will mellow out when you get a bit older, like in your 20s say.
Marcus, thats what happens at most places if you snake.So what your saying is if you don't want it happening to you, wait your turn especially if you know the person you just paddled inside of has been waiting their turn or cop the dropin or abuse on the chin. The way you describe is what manners are about and I wish more people would go about it your way!
um, not sure what your saying.

see there are two take off spots at a spot up here at Newcastle, one deep one where you get barrelled, and one where a lot of the shortboard crew sit to get a nice face with a wall. i will usually wait my turn with the shoulder guys and then when the last one has caught a wave, i will paddle deeper to the spot i like.
however, if you wait on the shoulder your out of position for the tube.
so ill ask them if they mind if i sit deeper, and i wait my turn over there.
i usually dont surf it with more than 3-4 people so its never been a problem.

it would be nice to do what the cronulla guys do and just paddle to the inside (big cronulla point) but i like to treat people how i would like to be treated.
same goes when i ride a shortboard or a mal, i might say to a guy, hey if a good one comes through and im on it, just go, ill usually stack it anyway. they usually say, nah its cool.

speaking of big cronulla point, all the good guys and island crew paddle really deep, both shortboard and bodyboard. when I'm with them super deep i kinda feel sorry for the guys out along the line up towards the shoulder. but what are you supposed to do? wait out on the shoulder with 100 guys and wait your turn for a shoulder?
i think that's a tricky one. instead of blatantly paddling deep, ill try to slyly make my way over as a few waves go as people move around. stopping for a convo and moving again when everyone's paddling around for the next set.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Headlander

Post by Headlander » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Yeah sorry Marcus, I reread my post and I've had a full dyslexic moment. What I was trying to say is, nobody has a worry if you paddle inside and wait your turn which you say you do and even have the manners to ask if they mind. Would be alot better for us all if more people did likewise.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Marcus, Nappycrapper has anger issues because he has red hair and freckles and is most commonly referred to as a ranga. He hates himself, which manifests itself in his manic posts in these forums. I've advised him to dye his hair and apply some type of foundation to cover his spots but it seems he's comfortable to remain uncomfortable with his appearance. I guess hair dye and foundation isn't acceptable for a young guy from the western suburbs.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

hey little your mums here she wants to say hello

mmmmmgggffdyyth aagghh ffyy mmmmgggggffffh

sorry she's got her mouth full at the moment. silly bitch. I'll give her a slap for ya

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

See what one guy's lack of sex, and too much beer and coffee, has descended into?

Happy's about as freckly as he is young.
Rangas shmangas. You sad ass deluded waxheads.

On topic though. Get real. Surfers are cunce. Mostly.
Uneducated. Willfull. Selfish. Juvenile. Egotistical. Boorish. With more holes in their manners than a mini golf course.

Lineup hassling is mostly caused by the better quality surfer over the lesser. Or the more thuggish over the meek.
Pure and unadulterated Darwinianism.

Back to the top. They're mostly cunce. Too full of their own self importance and skill to bother with etiquette and manners.

The hapless and the kooks might stand a chance of redemption if guided so.
Sure, advise them at purchase of their stick or wetty or mag or whatever, but despite becoming 'aware' of how to and what not, they'll always encounter a surfie Caarnt.
Its in their jeans and bloodlust. Their wanton ways and errant assumptions and cluelessness about the truer meaning of life and it's beauty. The stoke is a prod to the fire for them.
Barrel chested bogans in Vans with sunspots. Corporate banner boards in their ripaquikbong boardies and T's.
Salt and scum of the earth in equal measure.
Teach your children well. Don't let them grow up to be cunce. Or surfies.
Last edited by Skipper on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:03 pm

surf etiquette.....what a laugh

whats next...localism :idea:

i know and appreciate what you said in the first post gibber

but its dead.....gone...like a dino :!:

we are the old guard clingin too out dated ideas

it's a sheer free for all now....u take and be taken....i respect no one and no one respects me...i imagine the amount serios injurys we see surfin now are a result this no idea /etiquette new world surfin order

a zen moment :arrow:
if i surf and don't dropin.....did i surf :shock:
or did i just catch all the shit waves
my idea of etiquette is not hassling 12 yr olds and only dropin in with three all ready have

and it's not just qld...the whole surfing world is just like land now....over crowded hassle.....i prefer just think.....who can i blame :x

someones made a buck out it.... :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Yeah, good one Happy.....original.
Your hair's still red.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:05 pm

clackertyjack wrote:Put this suggestion in the never gonna happen file .
What if the companys that have sold surfing down the drain in their quest for more dollars
just put a simple message on every item they sell explaining surf ettiquite ,
what if the mags spared 1/2 a page each issue reminding people of surf manners
and even better what if everyone behaved like i say not like i do ?
Yeah Hey the SUP companies put a leaflet on how to behave in the lineup with their SUPs you judge whether it works :cry:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Little wrote:Yeah, good one Happy.....original.
Your hair's still red.
Little old buddy.. Can you understand why people might ignore you? Just sayin'
Last edited by jimmy on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Your hair's still red.
A great string of posts over the weekend with a hilarious but realistic view on rangas. I've learnt so much!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

happyripper
regular

Post by happyripper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 am

Your hair's still red.
So's your mums hole

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm

alakaboo wrote:This will play out like all previous discussions on the topic.
Let me summarise the key points and save a few pages:

No one has respect for the rules of the lineup any more.
Someone should teach them respect.
Someone will blame surf schools for not imparting etiquette as part of their lessons.
Someone will say they used to work in a surf school and they made sure to tell people not to drop in.
Someone else will say that legropes/the internet/immigration/homosexual clergymen are to blame.
Surf cameras, surf reports, SUPs, mal riders, bodyboarders, tufflite construction, thai and chinese boardmakers and climate change will probably get a serve too.
Very good 'boo. You forgot the obligatory flame war, but otherwise, 10 out of 10.
skipper wrote:On topic though. Get real. Surfers are cunce. Mostly.
Uneducated. Willfull. Selfish. Juvenile. Egotistical. Boorish. With more holes in their manners than a mini golf course.
I can't go down the 'all youth are bastards' meme, as much as the evidence helps to support it.

Just as many old buggers on mals who take rudeness and selfishness to levels that no short-boarder could match. And anyone who paddles a SUP out is instantly and correctly branded a sociopath, by definition. While my local is thankfully bereft of the mal/SUP misfits, they certainly ruin a number of holiday breaks I frequent.

Narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths, surfing almost certainly has a higher percentage than any other sporting population.

It comes with the territory. Work out how you are going to deal with it and stick to it. It ain't gonna change.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Little old buddy.. Can you understand why people might ignore you? Just sayin'[/quote]

In case you didn't understand what you were doing Jim, you just responded to me....