Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Damage
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Damage » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Long Reef late morning for an hour or so. Was getting better the whole time and a couple of absolute bomb sets to make it interesting.

:D

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Had a sesh this morning with Pridmore and his young fella and got some nice beachies. Then went to Kings and got some more nice beachies. Was pretty clean.

Saw a fella at Kings with the mother of all mullets, about 50 year old, on a boogie board with pink flippers....yeewwwww.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Yea Mark! Love it!

It's true then, I have left the coast!

Head high here today albeit a little bumpy, got 45 minutes in but nothing like you boys are getting back home! Enjoy!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 pm

pridmore wrote:who is iggy ?

THE PHOTO B4 WAS A ONE FOOT WAVE MARK.....( stupid caps :oops: )

the phot's since....one and a half foot.....but talk it up

all in the eye the beholder :roll: :wink:

imo

i surfed 1 ft out the front....clean as.....no banks :cry: :cry: :cry:

loving my new huie quad....still not sold on quads btw :idea:

it seems.....when i get a decent one and surf hard off my back foot

it's super super fast and can do anything 8)

it will shit huie to tears.....but i'm going put the big fins in the back....longbottom told me about this ages b4 his accident, gives a quad a lot more drive so he said :?:

my grom daughter.....loves her fins this way too :o
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm

headed down straight after work to newy and checked all the usual spots, but the swell was supposed to be east, but i reackon there was a bit of NE in there.
a wave that is usually a right hander was breaking left and closing out on a low tide shelf.
it was kinda onshore and every spot that was kinda decent was crowded.
a mate called and said Dixon was 3-5 foot, i checked it, and crowded, no thanks.
nobbys was the same, guys going shories, and guys out the back on the reef doing mini waimea eddie stance take offs then the wave would die off..
It just wasnt big enough.
checked the guys (50 to 100) out Newcastle beach taking the lefts from behind the pools, it was so crowded.
I could pick out stratty sitting there big bearded, brown skin and no shirt in the furthermost position out as usual on a big board.
other guys would hassle for the sets, take off, bottom turn and hope the wave would do something interesting.
thought bugger it, theres no way ill get a wave on a booger out there while every guy with a bintang shirt from Newcastle is out there.
so i decided id wait till it went dark, the wind was supposed to swing around anyway. and id have it for myself.
If i had my longboard id just go out the groper reef or somewhere for some fat longish waves..
went to the bottlo, got a can of scotch and dry and a bounty bar for dinner.
messaged the mrs and told her i was going for a night surf and would miss dinner.
waiting for dark to come, polishing off that scotch and dry, and getting into my wetsuit, it seemed dark would take forever.
helped a bloke named Tim move his toolbox into his house overlooking the surf, he was moving in and was stoked his work was paying most of the rent.
I asked him not to call the police if he sees me out there with lights on.

got my gear, walked around the pools and jumped in the crack in the rocks and sucked out past the rock platform.
waited for everyone to get their last waves for the day, which took forever, and hung back deep to avoid conversations about helmet torches.
finally it was dark and i got some left hander mush burgers. thought this is much better at g land.
had the whole joint to myself and took any wave i wanted,oily smooth as predicted, no wondering if someone wants my wave, just picking and choosing from an average lot of waves.
came home and the mrs had made chicken pad Thai with left overs.
mmm
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 am

Seen ya out there last night Marcus but didn't venture out. Will probably go for some of the same later tonight when the moon is nice and high - no need for the torches then! Hopefully the swell hangs in there...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 am

Just saw these posts by chance, I drink Corona, Henekin or Boasgs mostly but not that big of a drinker in recent years but if you are gunna start swinging em my way , might have to start getting into it... :roll: alot of time when I get notification e-mails from RS, it takes me to about 10 pages before the most recent post ? anyone else having this same problem ? Trev, can you wave you magic moderators wand ? and no, not the little one in ya pants .... :roll:

bumfluff wrote:
ledge71 wrote:
Oh. And unlike you BF he does tell me to stop being a pussy and just go. He has a strict pull back rule that earns him lots of beers and me lots of poundings...
Is there a way we can block this from Mark's view?...

just askin... :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:
pridmore wrote:who is iggy ?

THE PHOTO B4 WAS A ONE FOOT WAVE MARK.....( stupid caps :oops: )

the phot's since....one and a half foot.....but talk it up

OK, if you say so... but then again, I have surfed one ft waves with you, so I .. :roll: ..aww fuck this , not getting into it , had this lame discussion too many times before and seen this crap on this forum too many times, the fact is I surfed it and I know....usually say head high or shoulder high, then people can say there own measurement but doing surf reports changed that coz people wanna hear a number...apparently :roll:
plus I have soooo many good waves of late, it is rediculous, yesterday morning was best I have ever seen Maroochydore and I started surfing here in 1988....by best I mean, the most banks and all were really good, wont dare say a size but there were waves a bit overhead and constant head high ones...
8) 8) 8)

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 pm

stinky_wes wrote:Seen ya out there last night Marcus but didn't venture out. Will probably go for some of the same later tonight when the moon is nice and high - no need for the torches then! Hopefully the swell hangs in there...
hey wes
whats it look like from shore?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 pm

pridmore wrote:Just saw these posts by chance, I drink Corona, Henekin or Boasgs mostly but not that big of a drinker in recent years but if you are gunna start swinging em my way , might have to start getting into it... :roll: alot of time when I get notification e-mails from RS, it takes me to about 10 pages before the most recent post ? anyone else having this same problem ? Trev, can you wave you magic moderators wand ? and no, not the little one in ya pants .... :roll:

bumfluff wrote:
ledge71 wrote:
Oh. And unlike you BF he does tell me to stop being a pussy and just go. He has a strict pull back rule that earns him lots of beers and me lots of poundings...
Is there a way we can block this from Mark's view?...

just askin... :shock:
Not sure Mark. I stopped using that option years ago and just hit the "Recent Posts" or something button.
If someone sends me a pm, I usually get the notification within a few minutes.
I've got a few other things on the go in the background so I'll try to remember to chase this up when I clear them. In the meantime I'll reset the advice system for me and see how long it takes for notification.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Waves all up and down the coast again today. My local looked pretty ordinary but I punted on it improving with the incoming tide.
It did. 8)
Paddled out at half light..................tick
Surfed alone for 30 minutes..............tick
Murky water..........................half tick (I could just see my feet :wink: )
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

TrevG wrote: Murky water..........................half tick (I could just see my feet :wink: )
Well you thought they were your feet... :|

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Superfun offshore shoulderhigh beachies mid sunny coast .
Surfed straight over a 1m shark .
The first one i've ever seen while in the water surfing .
Paddled straight back out for another wave .
Ps: MP , i had work yesterday, no surf ! :evil:

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
loving my new huie quad....still not sold on quads btw :idea:

it seems.....when i get a decent one and surf hard off my back foot

it's super super fast and can do anything 8)
My opinion on quad performance type boards is that they're only really good in 3ft+ waves. Shithouse in the small weak stuff unless they're in a board made for the small shit...like a fish etc.

I ride my quad over here in 3ft+ but usually ride a thruster biscuit that I made for anything smaller. I don't really need a fish here because there's usually enough power on the smaller days to avoid riding one...on saying that, another board in the New Guinea quiver couldn't hurt!

The quads are also very fast and it took me a while to learn to control the speed (in other words control my surfing) as I was often running too far down the line too quick. I love mine here because we often get very fast racey sections that require that additional speed.

Going for an early before work, fingers crossed!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I just heard there was a large shark spotted at Kawana today for anyone up that way..

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Faaark. Cummmon. Didn't anyone south of tweed get something to gloat about?
Sydneys copped a solid bit of swell past two days.

I only got to sneak a drve by view of Tama on way to extra work I've picked up past couple of days. From what I saw it wasn't for the faint hearted. Or no lineup for old men. Noticed a jet ski zooming about there late this arvo. Lifeguard patrol I suspect.

So, anyway, if you consider driving tourists around the harbour in a speedboat and excitedly taking them acrossthe heads in rolling nor'easter lines, pulling up at south head and ooing and ahing at the slabs unfurling on the ledge there surfing....that's all I could manage. I know .. Bit of a stretch.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

skipper wrote:Faaark. Cummmon. Didn't anyone south of tweed get something to gloat about?
Sydneys copped a solid bit of swell past two days.

I only got to sneak a drve by view of Tama on way to extra work I've picked up past couple of days. From what I saw it wasn't for the faint hearted. Or no lineup for old men. Noticed a jet ski zooming about there late this arvo. Lifeguard patrol I suspect.

So, anyway, if you consider driving tourists around the harbour in a speedboat and excitedly taking them acrossthe heads in rolling nor'easter lines, pulling up at south head and ooing and ahing at the slabs unfurling on the ledge there surfing....that's all I could manage. I know .. Bit of a stretch.
Gotta be happy cruising around Sydney Harbour and getting paid for it, Skip. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 pm

I'll be south of Tweed tomoz.....I remeber when I couldnt surf everyday, I used to just drive by and have a look at the ocean, it was better than not seeing it....but if it was decent, then fark, the rest of the day was hard work..... :roll: