Fish or small wave performance?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

axolotl redux

Re: Fish or small wave performance?

Post by axolotl redux » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:28 pm

You do know that the afterburner wasn't designed for waves over 4 ft. If you want a board thats designed to work in small waves don't be surprised to find it has an upper limit. :roll:

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

monkeyman wrote: I'm looking for a quad performance shortboard so I don't have to ride my traditional fish anymore... I want to be a real surfer again with a pointy nosed craft!! I rode a quad in byron and loved it... desperately looking for a fat floaty, loose, fast down the line, forgiving of my occasional skill shortage board that suits a 6 foot, 75 kg 40 year old surfing east coast mush from 1 to 4 foot.
made my first real leap away from the HP thrusters this summer and ordered something different for the summer mush. It’s the first fish type design ive ever owned(6’2” x20 ¾ x2 ¾ flat deck full outline with a good concave under the belly) and on top of that it’s the first quad I’ve ever ridden. took me agood 8 to 10 weeks to adjust to the different characteristics of it but now that ive worked out what lines to draw I have to say its lifted my stoke and my surfing…wish I had done it sooner. The only problem I have with the board is that the extra paddle(volume) power, drive and down the line speed has given me a false pretence of its capabilities and as a result I’ve taken it out in conditions beyond its limitations.
So like you monkeyman I was looking for something of similar nature-a general HP quad to go to that I can take out my favourite reefs that’s gunna aid in digging out of the “steeps” but also give me the performance I want.
What we’ve decided on is 6’4”x 19 ¾ x 2 11/16 boxy railed, rockered and outlined alrounder with a single into double into vee round tail.
ive previously ridden boards 1.5 to 2 litres under volume and i still cant tell if the positives outway the negatives for rididing such low volume sticks.
@ 41yo and cruising with 93kg of permanently relaxed muscle I don’t know if this newy will be the answer but I’ve a feeling its going to be closer than ive been before.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 am

thanks axylotyl, you're not greg webber are you?? ;)
But you are right, I'm actually talking about at four foot it slid weirdly, but I could never work out why? The only thing I could put it down to was speed, every time I was absolutely flying and needing to nurse it off the top in vertical hollow waves, it tail drifted and would not naturally carve through the turn. That's all I'm saying!
Anyway, I love webber's shapes, they have curves all the way through them just like a surfboard should.
gonna see if I can borrow a mini fish at manly...

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 am

Hano - who's shaping for you??

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm

monkeyman wrote:Hano - who's shaping for you??
check your inbox monkeyman.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 pm

8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Sounds like a Kritta on the loose... ;)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:
Little wrote:Monkey, I've got a Webber Minifish that I've fallen in love with. Just back from Crescent where it ripped 6ft Racecourse. Just too fast. I'm 51 and 95kg riding a 6'3" and I reckon I could go down to 6'. The only change I would make is to go thinner in the tail because it sometimes feels a bit corky or too high in the wave, although it is over 3" thick. Actually, I'd like to keep the length at 6'3" and trim it to about 2 3/4" thickness, then it would be perfect. I bought it for the usual Sydney slush, which it is perfect for but since it surfs a fair bit differently to a usual performance board I now just use it in anything because I can't be bothered adjusting. As long as you know what to expect it's fantastic! My best board ever.
I used to enjoy my 5'9" Mini-Fish too but had the same problem. Turns driving off the middle of the board were fine seeing as the concaves were so grippy, but hard back foot turns would make it sit on top of the wave and flat-slide slideways. It made it lose a whole repertoire of turns which I didn't like.
i have a 5'9" webber mini fish. yes, too corky. hit a bit of chop & it bouces all over the shop!
but get the feet in the right spot & i have no trouble digging it in, heavy on the back foot. i have an M5 in the middle with the two pink twinnies. The M5 takes a way the "out-of-control" looseness of the twinnie, but still manoevrable in the small mushie stuff. I use it in small, mushy, low-tide/hollow stuff. If it's weak & full, i take my mal out.
Hano wrote:
monkeyman wrote: I'm looking for a quad performance shortboard so I don't have to ride my traditional fish anymore... I want to be a real surfer again with a pointy nosed craft!! I rode a quad in byron and loved it... desperately looking for a fat floaty, loose, fast down the line, forgiving of my occasional skill shortage board that suits a 6 foot, 75 kg 40 year old surfing east coast mush from 1 to 4 foot.
made my first real leap away from the HP thrusters this summer and ordered something different for the summer mush. It’s the first fish type design ive ever owned(6’2” x20 ¾ x2 ¾ flat deck full outline with a good concave under the belly) and on top of that it’s the first quad I’ve ever ridden. took me agood 8 to 10 weeks to adjust to the different characteristics of it but now that ive worked out what lines to draw I have to say its lifted my stoke and my surfing…wish I had done it sooner. The only problem I have with the board is that the extra paddle(volume) power, drive and down the line speed has given me a false pretence of its capabilities and as a result I’ve taken it out in conditions beyond its limitations.
So like you monkeyman I was looking for something of similar nature-a general HP quad to go to that I can take out my favourite reefs that’s gunna aid in digging out of the “steeps” but also give me the performance I want.
What we’ve decided on is 6’4”x 19 ¾ x 2 11/16 boxy railed, rockered and outlined alrounder with a single into double into vee round tail.
ive previously ridden boards 1.5 to 2 litres under volume and i still cant tell if the positives outway the negatives for rididing such low volume sticks.
@ 41yo and cruising with 93kg of permanently relaxed muscle I don’t know if this newy will be the answer but I’ve a feeling its going to be closer than ive been before.
hano, i have a sam egan custom that i had shaped for me about a year and a half ago, that is along those lines & for similar reasons. Bloody works great! I use this board more than 80% of the time, now. yours should go well.
Mine's 6'2" x 19 3/4, 2 5/8, wider nose than a shorty, not as wide as a fish. single concave in the guts, double concs through the tail, however when looking at the profile, the rails protrude further than the stringer, different to any s-d conc i've had before. (previous boards include a sam egan single concave 6'6" - this thing absolutely flew in overhead stuff - i love his shapes :lol: )
swallow tail, light nose rocker, decent tail rocker, nice big round rails to keep the volume. Bouyant enough to paddle easily, I'm 41, 5'9" & 90 kegs.
i ride it in 2 foot mush up to solid 6 foot avoca point / pines - just swap fins.
it's a shorty/fish hybrid, (more of a shorty) but easy paddling with performance.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am

is yours a quad matt ? any chance of posting a couple of profile pics of it?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 am

not a quad, hano. i haven't delved into the quad world.
it's a thruster with the FCS plugs.
i use my k2.1's in 2-3 foot, M5's when it's a bit bigger. i've taken it out in overhead stuff with glass k3's.
yeah, i'll post some pics tonight, when i get home. i've got photos from most angles.
i take photos of most of my boards, but this one in particular becuase i did the spray job on it. i took the advice of the famous "platty" post and used automotive spray paint cans to do it & it's still on there, nearly two years later!

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm

here's some pics, hano, this is when it was new...
profile 1.JPG
tail & bottom contours
profile 1.JPG (64.84 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
front 1.JPG
spray job
front 1.JPG (66.26 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
profile and spray 1.JPG
profile and spray 1.JPG (70.79 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
side profile 3.JPG
side profile 3.JPG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
side profile 4.JPG
side profile 4.JPG (56.06 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
tail 1.JPG
tail 1.JPG (87.87 KiB) Viewed 6526 times

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Yeah nice looking stick, neat spray job too- it looks like a tweaked version of Sam Egans rocket fish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 pm

looks nice...theres some info on this thread that is relevant...if you havent already seen it...
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 60#p423460

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm

nice board, love know how u feel it goes :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 am

i'm just about ready to order a new board and it's the first time where i'm going to order EXACTLY the same board - i'm that happy with it.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:nice board, love know how u feel it goes :?:
the first thing is it floats 90 kgs. it is really easy to paddle & really easy to paddle into waves, even full waves. i used to order boards with a rolled deck & it wasn't until i rode this board, that i realised i needed the volume for the paddling into waves.

it's range is 2ft - overhead. beach & point waves. choppy to glass. weak, choppy waves or solid head high clean barrels - i just change the fins. it feels skatey only if i have k2.1s in surf that is bigger. if i was lazy i could leave the M5s in there all the time, but i'm a bit fussy. it really suits my backhand style, which is heavy on the backfoot drive off the bottom/reo/carve style.

smaller than 2 foot i ride my mal, or the minifish.

i ride this board that much that i use the mal & the fish a lot less now.

really solid overhead i ride my chilli "stepdown" model 6'4"x19 1/2x2 3/8, rolled deck, rounded square thruster. the difference in volume is huge. this is probably the best "off the rack" board i've had, [along with a T&C Gunther Rohn board i bought off the rack at sunshine surf in manly from tim jones, 1986].the chilli is very precise & holds firm. with glass k3's i've taken the chilli out in double overhead a few times & it only feels small when i'm paddling for waves. once i'm up it's fine.

monkeyman
regular

Post by monkeyman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 am

I had a T&C Gunther Rohn, 6 channels - one of kerbox's old boards that I bought in bondi at the start of 89 that was a miracle board and I've been searching for another magic board since... I even have a fin that I kicked off it before I threw it out, brown, snapped, depressed and over used and over travelled about 4 years later... I talked to gunther about getting another one from him... but I'm older and uglier now so it might have just been right board right time right travels through europe :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:07 pm

I think you are spot on with the last comment, boards that were magic, sometimes arent years later, or even months..my magic few in Yamba arent so magic up here on the Sunny Coast...different waves, I have put on 3 kg's in the last 2 yrs too, plus surfing differently.....but when you have a magic one, its great to get that confidence in a board....