Kids surfing - how young to start

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

S4MS
regular

Kids surfing - how young to start

Post by S4MS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Really keen to get my kids into the surf (inspired by stories of woolly & his 3 generations). Have a 4 and a 2 year old and have taken them each a couple of times into the surf and pushed them lying down onto a knee-deep 1/4 ft shorey on a 6ft foamy with limited success.

So few questions for you who have successfuly introduced your kids to surfing:

1) any age?
2) should they be able to swim first (or if they are in their depth is that enough to get started)?
3) is it best to work on getting them accustomed to being knocked around by waves first?
4) what's the best sort of board? Foamy or a bodyboard?
5) does stuff like this - http://planetgadget.com.au/products/Sur ... oduct.html help?

Thanks

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Kids surfing - how young to start

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:54 pm

If they can swim, all the better.
If they can't, as long as they aren't scared of the water, fine.. But remember, if they're 2 & 4, you need two of you to look after them.
Don't think it matters what craft you use, as long as they can experience the thrill of being pushed along by the wave.
Enjoy.

ps. Take no notice of the sad, wannabe Kiwi.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Sorry but
dinosaur wrote:Well if they're harlequin kids, you'll probably wanna get them some pretty good rash vests.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 am

just watch out for the inevitable dumpings. It put my kids off riding boards at about 3 years of age :) Now they are 4 and 7 and are keen to ride boogie boards but i got them an el nino mini. Almost like a really small surfboard with no fins, it's narrower so they can hold on to the sides better as they only have short arms. No need for a leggie or armie (?) yet but it does have a loop for one. They can't swim that great but they love it, as long as I am there to grab them when they get in a bit of strife it's all good.

the 4 year old tells me she wants to be a pro surfer, with a ute, and a dog. not sure if that's a good thing :)

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:28 pm

climbo wrote:the 4 year old tells me she wants to be a pro surfer, with a ute, and a dog. not sure if that's a good thing :)
Start worring when the ute turns out to be a van.... :shock:

As far as getting kids surfing any age is good to get them into it.......... but I would also think about getting them into a surf club as they will learn a lot of skills and understanding of the ocean (surf swimming, paddle boards, saving lives ect) with other kids their own age............ :wink:

lawny
Grommet

Post by lawny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 pm

one of my kids is 8 and he is starting to get out there.... still not a strong swimmer though so its tough. i have seen some bloody young groms in the water down here in vicco, theyd be under 10 for sure and they rip! wish my dad would still push me in! :(

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Quite apart from the obvious fact that its great fun it also allows kids to go out and test themselves, take a few risks and learn how to look after themselves. It can also make them rude arrogant self centered little pains in the butt. Of course thats really what surfing is all about.

Ultimately what can be better than the ability to surf all those tiny days when everyone else wishes they were 4' tall.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?