Take Away dim-SIM

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Take Away dim-SIM

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 am

the new travelling board is a dim-SIM which is my version of the mini simmons, it was ridden yesterday at my Aussie Day board testing day, we scored some decent waves, it started about 2-3ft and very clean in the morning and the swell slowly grew thru-out the day and the winds stayed reasonably light SE which made it fun for testing the boards, was crowded and bamks were not great but still very surfable and quite fun.....
there will be more pics added soon of the day and possibly some footage that Steve took, Smorgasboarder magazine was there to cover the day and they also joined in and rode several different shapes so look for it in the next edition....
Surfdenbeer was first to ride it, he seemed to really enjoy it but there is an interview of him discussing it as he gets out of the waves, its all in the footage that I'll post as soon as its all sorted...
I rode it next, lotsa fun although I didnt get any decent waves, but could feel it wanted to go if I could have only got a waves with a bit of shape , then Dave from Smorgasboarder had a go and also said he liked the way it felt...but anyway, the pics and footage will be here soon....a fun day with lots of like minded people, thanks everyone who has been involved already....
Thanks to Digger and Steve who hung around and helped pack up, also thanks to Cuttlefish who lent me his marquee, but thanks to all who showed up and made it a great fun day.....Digger has the dim-SIM now and hopes to get some waves on it before passing it onto Ryan from Rainbow beach, keen to see how Digger adapts to the little slab.. 8)

www.moresurfboards.com

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Take Away dim-SIM

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am

*takes a ticket*
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:40 am

What are the dims of the Sim Mark?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 am

I think if I tell people the dims, it may put people off from trying it , seems many surfers dont think they can ride a 5'2"....oops..... :roll:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 pm

pridmore wrote:I think if I tell people the dims, it may put people off from trying it , seems many surfers dont think they can ride a 5'2"....oops..... :roll:

ha ha haaaa, 5'2 is it, wish I didnt know that :lol: Had it out today in the shorebreak at coolum, extremely blown out and junky, hopeless surf unfortunately to test it in. The takeoffs were step and the board did not mind it. I struggled with paddling it in the rip but overall so far I have really enjoyed surfing it. I have had one wave were it just powered of the bottom but no faces yet, hoping for a cleaner day tommorow to try to put it through its paces.

On my back hand it spun on a dime off the top and extremely loose but again, the surf wasnt any good at all and all I can take from that surf is that its very stable off the takeoff, doesnt like heaps of chop which was what the surf was like, but on the plus side I may have found a short board solution that I have been looking for to have some more fun instead of riding my 6.6 quadfather. :D

More reports to come
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

with the current trend of shorter boards, going down to 5' 2" isn't that much of a stretch. not so bad if you're an old time skater like me, going short seems to make reasonable sense given that you don't actually ride the nose of a shortboard that much, it's the back 2/3 that counts the most ! Looks great Mark. My local shaper, Tiki, makes them about 5' 0" !!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

I used to ride a single fin like this back in the early to mid 90's, thing was obviously built in the 70's, it was burnt orange on the deck and rails, with a square tail and stub nose, dudes back then looked at me real funny as they were all riding kelly slater rip offs, but that board ripped it up in summer slop up so I didn't really care. Funny how things turn around over the years. Wish I had some pics of that board.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Can't wait to have a crack - any photos from board testing day?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:50 pm

should have some soon mate, had to loan my Mums camera coz I cant find my charger after moving house, good excuse for a newy I reckon...plenty of pics coming as soon as I get them, should be tonight or tomoz at the latest....Keen to see what Mr. Shearer captured of the day.... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:29 am

Such a great day, I got so much valueable feedback from alot of different surfers, met some great people and got a few waves, thanks alot to everyone who showed up or was involved in some way, might just have to do it again in a few months time.... 8)

most popular board was by far the 5'11" Swinger, the dim-SIMs were the next most ridden and enjoyed... 8)

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Looked like a top day. Annoyed it was so far away. Still, at least I'll get a burl on the Dim Sim :D .
How many walk -ups did you get as opposed to RS crew?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:06 pm

another test on the dim sim today, surf a little bigger, maybe two foot, cleaner too :D I found it a little bit hard to paddle into waves and unless I was right under the peak no chance, this may be solved with me getting a slightly bigger one than 5'2 :D Had a few waves, still getting a feel for it but one wave was awesome to feel it out, a long right, the board came off the bottom nice, its impossible to get the feet in the wrong spot cause the thing is so bloody small :lol: It gained great speed quickly and just flew across the flat section and once the wave sucked up it handled it great, cuts back easy and im super impressed. Few more waves tommorow I hope and someone is picking it up off me on monday, so got tommorow and sunday to try a few things.

I am definately sure I have found my shortboard solution for my quiver. I gotta get my hands on one of these things for sure............... :D

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 pm

haha the speed addiction hits another...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Quangers wrote:Looked like a top day. Annoyed it was so far away. Still, at least I'll get a burl on the Dim Sim :D .
How many walk -ups did you get as opposed to RS crew?
probably 1/4 RS crew, 1/2 customers, 1/4 walk ups, maybe more walk ups then I expected which was cool but there was alot of guys who were looking alot but werent game to come over and ask, I know alot of walk ups expected to have to pay or something, need bigger signs next time to make sure it is clear that it is free to try the boards....

seems you are enjoying it Digger, maybe a 5'6" could be good for you, bit more length and bit easier to paddle with the extra volume....stoked you are gettin into it and persisiting coz I know its alot shorter than you said you imagined surfing...but then again you also tried the alaia the other day...good stuff, hope you score some really nice waves before you hand it on.... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Digger,
You need to catch up to me and have a paddle on my 5'6" and Mark's personal board if you haven't ridden that one yet.
It'll be a good one to then figure what works for you out of the two boards and get Mark to make it happen.
My 5'6" will feel like a canoe. :lol:
I'm usually surfing M'dore (Seabreeze-Sharks and Alex corner or Bluff).
Only a rat can win the rat race.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Cuttlefish, I nearly left my board in your garage today to try the new fins I am running on it, wish your board had plugs ....Are you keen to have the traveller for a while too ? it is smaller than you would usually consider but would be keen to hear your thoughts on it also, seeing how you ride a mini most surfs recently.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:18 pm

pics of me standing next to marks board coming soon so you can get a idea of how small it is standing next to me :D Hope to take it out today in the wind just to see what happens 8)

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Defo up for a crack at this when it hits sydney.