Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Slater?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trilobite

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Slater?

Post by Trilobite » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 am

Pro surfers' nonchalance about losing is either a cheap facade to save face, or it's the truth, and these guys simply don't care that much about losing. If they don’t care, why should we?

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/whos-afr ... ad-slater/

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Slater?

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am

" After all, I don’t have to watch a webcast to see the most progressive surfing in the world; I can check it out on various web sites any day of the week. So why watch a competition? Well, for the competition"

good point :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

awesome article...

if u think about it, the last person to give kelly a can of whupp ass was andy - and thats when he was in hate mode... since they now all love each other in tour, no-one has really beaten kelly....

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 pm

@ first i thought what a piece of condescending tripe

then i checked out Endo's credentials and realized the mistake........Endo has no credentials.

Inertia & Surfer Magazine = Silly k.unts

shish
regular

Post by shish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:53 pm

I hope he wins 10 world titless. but can he then retire and give someone else a go.
yeehaa!

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Post by Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am

No....no....no....I want Slater to keep surfing til age 65. If the rest of the crappy tour are too lazy to bother turning up for contests why would slater stop at 10.

Keep going, otherwise the whole thing becomes irrelevant. The only reason I follow the tour is to be a witness to slater winning 10. I certainly wont be watching next year if Slater is not around. there is no point. He seems the only one of them who treats the tour with the respect that it deserves.

C'mon, this is a professional sports organisation running a series of events at the end of which someone is crowned world champion. The whole show is based on rankings determined by consistency and slater is and has been the most consistent surfer in the history of surfing. He is the strongest surfer, mentally, and also the best heat style surfer. What credibility does the tour have without him. So someone else wins the title and everyone says well you didn't beat slater.

I agree with the other posts, there are too many people in awe of him and who just being in the water with him. What the F. For chrissake get a spinal cord will ya...develop some kind of backbone. You want friends...join the scouts. You wanna be the best surfer in the world then train your ass of and hate every one of your competitors. You should be trying to smash them every heat. And particularly now. Lets face it, the tour is screaming out for a super competitive surfer to grab it by the scruff of the neck and smash it to peices.

Where is their desire. You wanna surf join the womens CT. You wanna win join the Mens CT.

C'mon

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 am

shish wrote:I hope he wins 10 world titless. but can he then retire and give someone else a go.
well this is the thing right.

from what i can see, everyone winning a title will be compared to competing in slaters era. for example "since surfer x just won the world title in 2012 - do you think he would of beaten slater..?"

the answers will probably be no.

it kinda points how competitive andy was, and how focused mick was...

i guess in sports we will always have comparisons. michael jordan is a great example as well with constant comparisons and people saying is this player actually better etc...

one thing for sure, its going to be interesting when he gets off tour....

maybe parko will finally win one now.... :shock:
Lets face it, the tour is screaming out for a super competitive surfer to grab it by the scruff of the neck and smash it to peices.
but the kelly era has ushered in is a super friendly "hi im rob machado i high 5 you coming out of a barrel at pipe instead of taking the world title" pysch. (sorry rob, but mate you were a douche for doing that)

the last person wanting to "smash" everyone was andy, and he beat kelly at pipe....

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Post by Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 am

but the kelly era has ushered in is a super friendly "hi im rob machado i high 5 you coming out of a barrel at pipe instead of taking the world title" pysch. (sorry rob, but mate you were a douche for doing that)

the last person wanting to "smash" everyone was andy, and he beat kelly at pipe....onawave
regular

Private message

and thats the problem gentleman. Everyone loves each other too much. We need to find someone like Andy was back and put them on tour. Jordy should sit down with andy, bottle whatever it was that made him angry back then and drink it by the boxload.

Jordy is the only one who can save the tour. He needs to smash the next two events and he should be publicly sledging KS for being soft. He should be out there with a campaign encouraging every surfer to smash KS and stop him from getting a perfect 10. No one should get a perfect 10. KS needs to be put under pressure and it is up to all of us to do that.

We (Realsurfers) should start a movement to get the word out to stop KS getting 10. It should be NO!! 10 in 2010.

Tell all the pros you know to stop it from happening. if we can do that it would the greatest thing to happen ever!!!

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am

Wow... Ned.... That's a damn, spirited view point.

Like, er.. more urological Fat Mike's on Tour? :twisted:

(Picture the Messiah doing a round of Tequila shots with the faithful surrounded, before Pipe heat perhaps?)

Ned Flanders
Grommet

Post by Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 am

dinosaur wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:but the kelly era has ushered in is a super friendly "hi im rob machado i high 5 you coming out of a barrel at pipe instead of taking the world title" pysch. (sorry rob, but mate you were a douche for doing that)

the last person wanting to "smash" everyone was andy, and he beat kelly at pipe....onawave
regular

Private message

and thats the problem gentleman. Everyone loves each other too much. We need to find someone like Andy was back and put them on tour. Jordy should sit down with andy, bottle whatever it was that made him angry back then and drink it by the boxload.

Jordy is the only one who can save the tour. He needs to smash the next two events and he should be publicly sledging KS for being soft. He should be out there with a campaign encouraging every surfer to smash KS and stop him from getting a perfect 10. No one should get a perfect 10. KS needs to be put under pressure and it is up to all of us to do that.

We (Realsurfers) should start a movement to get the word out to stop KS getting 10. It should be NO!! 10 in 2010.

Tell all the pros you know to stop it from happening. if we can do that it would the greatest thing to happen ever!!!
What you need to concentrate on Ned is the fucking quote button and how to use it.

yeah because thats the important thing isn't it!!!

How you like them apples!!!

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:22 am

Ned Flanders wrote: Jordy is the only one who can save the tour. He needs to smash the next two events and he should be publicly sledging KS for being soft. He should be out there with a campaign encouraging every surfer to smash KS and stop him from getting a perfect 10. No one should get a perfect 10. KS needs to be put under pressure and it is up to all of us to do that.
Every interview you see with Jordy though his attitude is always "Yeah I'm just having fun", Nah, I'm not thinking about the title" "I'm just stoked to be able to surf against Kelly" bla bla bla. Kelly has them psyched out.
Jordy Smith wrote:
It’s good, you know, but I don’t really care about it that much. I made an oath to myself that this year I was just going to try and have fun with everything and I’ve found that I’ve had my best results when I’m having the most fun. Like down in J-Bay, I was just super relaxed down there. And I don’t really care about the title right now. You know, maybe if I was going into Pipeline in first or second place on the ratings then it’s a different story, but right now there’s still a way to go. It’s like a boxing match and there are still a few rounds left, but someone can knock you out in the next two rounds. So I’d rather just be happy — and that’s what I’ve been. I’ve just been cruising, surfing and enjoying myself.
The original article is hardly an original thought. People having being saying that since Andy last won although Parko, Mick and Taj have been trying hard.

But surfing is hardly like most competitive sports, certainly not Tennis. How much has Kelly won this year? $300K. Jordy has won half that and Dane only $80K. That would hardly cover the travel and hotel bills. But how much do they get paid by their sponsors? Their prize money would hardly make a dent in their yearly earnings so why do they need to get super-competitive when they get paid mostly for their free-surfing? Its not like they are playing for a $million like the tennis players and golfers do.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 am

But surfing is hardly like most competitive sports, certainly not Tennis. How much has Kelly won this year? $300K. Jordy has won half that and Dane only $80K. That would hardly cover the travel and hotel bills. But how much do they get paid by their sponsors? Their prize money would hardly make a dent in their yearly earnings so why do they need to get super-competitive when they get paid mostly for their free-surfing? Its not like they are playing for a $million like the tennis players and golfers do.
its a good point. i wonder which market is bigger or makes more money? the greater surfing market or tennis?

however, (and this is something that has been discussed at length in other threads) sports like tennis is more accessible to the avg joe blog. they *get it* more easily. they know that getting an ace or down the line shot in tennis is freakin hard....

with surfing for the majority, its so out of the range of comprehension that it doesnt make the best spectator sport for people who dont surf. yeah its awesome watching the highlights of good jbay... but you can watch highlghts of an entire event in less than 5 minutes....

tennis is much easier to break down. so because people watch and get into it - there will be more cash.... i suk at tennis, but i still enjoy watching it....

lots of people cant surf at all, and there is no way u could make em watch a final on kelly vs jordy..

until we figure out how to communicate surfing to the masses (not via the brand but actual surfing itself), prize money will always be a challenge....

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 am

Golfs the big one isn't it?

Comp surfers get paid to compete. Paid free surfers get paid to surf.
Am I envious of comp surfers?
Nope.
Paids free surfers?
You betcha.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:We (Realsurfers) should start a movement to get the word out to stop KS getting 10. It should be NO!! 10 in 2010.

How deluded are you to think that a bunch of serial masturbators on an internet forum have the ability to inspire a bunch of pro surfers to take down the most consistent surfer in history?

Fcuk the most influence realsurf has ever had was being mentioned as nazi esque in the herald for making some comments on the cronulla riots...

Keep taking your pills mate, before you drink a Redbull and jump off a building thinking that you can fly.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 am

ah dont get me wrong, im still all for KS to get 10. when he retires after this, its just going to be known as the post slater era, and just about every title holder will be compared to slater... thats the only thing that will suk from KS getting 10....

probably the greatest achievement in sporting history, and a fact that not many people will be able to comprehend...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Keep taking your pills mate, before you drink a Redbull and jump off a building thinking that you can fly.
What, I can't fly :?: WTF :!:

Hang on, there's a tall building. I'll be back in a min...

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 am

I don't believe the articles, the quotes, the words out of their mouths. The young guys on the WCT are after the big win. It's just that Aussies are trained to like the the underdog so everyone tries to appear humble. I bet in the dark of night they're trying to think of some way, any way, they can get an edge. Kelly is, incredibly, still the best, and it's just easier to say you don't care than to say you feel like a loser.

We better get somebody interesting, in both personality and surfing, to shake up this tour before Kelly retires.

Shari

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Right on Shari.
I’d give up surfing tomorrow if there is anyone out there within the professional surfing fraternity that could sincerely disagree with anything you’ve just stated.
What annoys the absolute sh.t outta me is just how underrated our sport is. There’s no doubt It’s bikini- palm tree and pina colada image along with its piss poor prize money largely attributes to its understatement……….and then we have those media types such as Endo(whose involvement is purely seasonal) down playing the ability of the elite involved
I SAY- GET FUCKED TO ALL YOU ENDO’S!
if all sports were judged on physical dynamics alone it’d be a poor judge to predict surfing outside the top ten of most difficult sports participated…….and then throw in the mental aptitude of those involved who commit to 12’ to 15’ T’poo or Pipe and you have a sport that is basically Inco severable to all but those who really have an idea.
Kelly’s peers recognise his brilliance and its about time the rest of the sporting world paid tribute to this once in a lifetime athlete. If the Laureus World Sport awards want to restore any real creditability then KS will not only be judged sportsman of the year for the first time he’ll also be presented with the lifetime achievement award.

I admire the greats like Ali, Armstrong,Jorden and to a lesser extent Tiger but KS has done his shit for three decades and is still dominating lads 20 yrs his junior today.
KS is going to leave a massive hole .
Last edited by Hano on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.