BOARDS TO NEW ZEALAND

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

BOARDS TO NEW ZEALAND

Post by diggerdickson » Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 am

I have heard that it can be trouble taking boards to new zealand, anyone got any information on this or have taken boards across to new zealand lately
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: BOARDS TO NEW ZEALAND

Post by channels » Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 am

No problems I know of, took a mal and a shorty to Noosa in March from Auckland and took boards to Fiji from Auckland in April. Flew Air NZ to Noosa and Qantas/Air Pacific to Fiji.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Air New Zealand is sweet boards can go as sporting equipment like golf bags etc, just read the baggage notes on the website. Tells all, only one current issue, checking wetsuits for the abalone virus so have your wetsuit dry as ( less weight too)
Enjoy, some great breaks across the ditch. :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun May 30, 2010 8:44 am

Hey Digger, I'll be taking a couple over in September, although that's probably a little late to give you info about how it goes.
When are you heading over?

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sun May 30, 2010 11:30 am

I never have any problems when I head back to NZ and I normally take at least 2 boards. I did get stung by crapstar at Christmas for being over my luggage allowance but it was to do with total baggage weight - not my boards per se. If you fly with Qantas or Air NZ you should be fine.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun May 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Quangers wrote:Hey Digger, I'll be taking a couple over in September, although that's probably a little late to give you info about how it goes.

When are you heading over?

not till after that, pls update with the info when you get it for cost as I will be deciding wither to take 2 boards or just one. Im looking to shape one to take with me and am just excited to be going, even if its heaps away, taking time to suss things out. :D

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeah, will do mate.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey Mate,
I only took one board- my QF over. I went with Air NZ and they were happy with it being one of the specified pieces of luggage (it did have to go into oversize though).
Customs NZ asked about the wettie (make sure it is dry) but other than that it was cool.
All in all a fairly painless experience (as long as you are under weight I don't think they give a shitte).
I caught some good Raglan - check it out, a view from the back yard of where I stayed...
Attachments
raglan.jpg
raglan.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 4958 times

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 am

Don't fly by Jetstar

Unless your board is under 6'4"
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 pm

those waves look great Quangers.....had the Qf repaired yet after your run in with some raglan rocks ???..... :?:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:29 pm

if anyone is goin to NZ soon and willing to carry a few extra boards over, and be compensated for their efforts, please let me know..... :?:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm

pridmore wrote:those waves look great Quangers.....had the Qf repaired yet after your run in with some raglan rocks ???..... :?:
No, she is still in emergency - I'll get her sorted tomoz. :oops:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Air New Zealand it is then, thanks mate. Ive had some setbacks in going thanks to the bike accident but I will get there. I have other spots in mind than raglan as going over with a local, have to be very patient, money will be there one day

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Quangers wrote:Hey Mate,
I only took one board- my QF over. I went with Air NZ and they were happy with it being one of the specified pieces of luggage (it did have to go into oversize though).
Customs NZ asked about the wettie (make sure it is dry) but other than that it was cool.
All in all a fairly painless experience (as long as you are under weight I don't think they give a shitte).
I caught some good Raglan - check it out, a view from the back yard of where I stayed...
Yeah the wetty check is about the abalone virus that is on the south coast of OZ . Make sure your wetsuit and any rubber water stuff is dry and clean :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?