Ask Carroll

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Re: Ask Carroll

Post by Dingus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Dae wrote:What is the most base attraction the ocean holds for you? What do you feel when you close your eyes and it is there in your mind?
I feel a limitless space, open, wide and deep. I don't understand it, I want to and I know I never will, and I'm not really meant to either. I feel a yearning for something and sense of simplicity and impossible complexity intertwined. It's powerfully symbolic for me.
There's more of an answer there for me to comprehend at this point in my life. It would be nice to find myself with the opportunity to read a longer narrative of this, written in your latter years.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

osakabob

Post by osakabob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Nick , thanks for the previous replies to my questions.It's great to get observations from someone who has such a long history and knowledge of surfing.
I was wondering what improvements to the ASP World Tour broadcast presentations you think should be made ? And which contest has the best presentation and why ? thanks in advance.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 am

osakabob wrote: I was wondering what improvements to the ASP World Tour broadcast presentations you think should be made ? And which contest has the best presentation and why ? thanks in advance.
Well I reckon they've taken a bit of a leap forward this year; there's a bit more pressure to perform thanks to the Fuel feed (and to the shellacking the whole webcast shtick got from Kelly and the Other Tour threat last year -- remember that everyone?).

I think there's still plenty of improvements to be made in commentary and in background clip prep, Billabong are far and away the best at this and also seem to have the most settled and effective commentary crew; if they could see past the whole cottage-industry hangup over label rivalry and got Pottz on board as the star ex-pro, they'd tie it up.

Surf spot/conditions analysis is pretty weak and could be stepped up with graphics and some strong information, and down the track some sort of intelligent graphic analysis of critical heats and rides; "heats on demand" is pretty simplistic and often badly edited. But all this will happen in time.

I also reckon it's high time they got some POV vision going somehow, and I think it would be fcuken awesome to hear from the surfers themselves during their heats, the way you can hear from the V8 Supercar drivers while they're in mid-lap. Naturally there'd have to be some limits on it but I'm sure it could be done.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:54 am

Hey Nick,
Thanks for answering my questions as well as everyone elses. Like many have said before me, your wisdom and input to the board and to our 'sport' of surfing is much appreciated.

Few more if you're keen:

* Name your top 5 favourite tuberiders
* Name your top 5 favourite 'style' surfers
* Power Balance: Fact or fiction?
* Malloy Brothers: Marketing coup or genuinely talented siblings?
* Rasta: If Rasta took the CT route, do you think he would have won a world title?
* What will you be surfing when you are 70?

Cheers bro, have a good week.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:16 am

Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:09 pm

NC. Is 7000 a better number than 6000?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:26 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote: * Name your top 5 favourite tuberiders
* Name your top 5 favourite 'style' surfers
I'm sorry! I don't really have a top five! There's just been so many great surfers and I always feel like I'm missing somebody, or about 30 somebodies.
rightbrainpositive wrote:* Power Balance: Fact or fiction?
Ha ha, I recall the US surf writer Matt George sending me something a while ago, it was some incredible bit of rubbish he'd written, some mythologising of some sort (I love Matt, don't get me wrong here) ... anyway I wrote back to him calling total bullshit on it, and he then wrote back this line: "It's only bullshit if you don't believe it."
rightbrainpositive wrote:* Malloy Brothers: Marketing coup or genuinely talented siblings?
Well it's a different world, California...there's a lot more money around, and there's also a real market gap for what you might call Lifestyle Avatars -- people who, rather than compete on the world tour or otherwise appear to earn their contract money through direct results, make their living through quite literally selling their lives -- living the kind of life, in other words, that lots of other people would seemingly like to live, and allowing it to be recorded as much and as often as possible. It takes skills to do this, but surfing skill is only one aspect of it: you've also got to clearly understand what you're undertaking, and be prepared to find ways of advancing it. There's been some great examples of this emerge from the US West Coast over the years; Donavon Frankenreiter springs to mind, as does Rob Machado, whose movie "Drifter" has to be right up there at the top of the Lifestyle Avatar marketing tree. Aussies don't seem to be as adept or inclined to it, though the guy below has done all right at it.
rightbrainpositive wrote:* Rasta: If Rasta took the CT route, do you think he would have won a world title?
Try asking the question the other way around: If Rasta had wanted to win a world title, why didn't he take the CT route? World titles are HARD to win; I don't think you can guess someone into one.
rightbrainpositive wrote:* What will you be surfing when you are 70?
Man I don't know if I will be alive at 70. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

osakabob

Post by osakabob » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Nick ,
I think its great that ex pros like your brother and Ross Clark Jones can continue to make a living out of surfing .I am guessing that they can continue to do that because they are riding such big gnarly waves ? So my question is how much pressure is on them from their sponsors to continue to chase these huge waves aroung the world and are there times when they just dont want to go ?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:From my POV .

wtf does POV mean....sorry wrong thread i'll ask it in the other
:lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:43 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:From my POV .

wtf does POV mean....sorry wrong thread i'll ask it in the other
:lol:
Point Of View
Kunji wrote:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:50 pm

his use of captials threw me

gawd who abbreviates with caps :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm

osakabob wrote:I think its great that ex pros like your brother and Ross Clark Jones can continue to make a living out of surfing .I am guessing that they can continue to do that because they are riding such big gnarly waves ? So my question is how much pressure is on them from their sponsors to continue to chase these huge waves aroung the world and are there times when they just dont want to go ?
Oh ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahaha .... The day those two idiots do something they don't want to do will be ...well it will be a day long removed from today.

They do exactly what they want and the sponsors just cheer 'em on.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I have ask as we're winding down. The RCJ question sparked my interest.

What's your limit in the ocean? When does NC say no bloody way, too big?

Would you tow into 30 ft plus Jaws/ anywhere else, or paddle into 25ft Waimea?
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm

I feel wasteful using up one of the last posts, but thought I'd sneak a couple in:

In truly competitive, driven people there seems (as an outside observer) to often be an underlying void that is filled through the competitive outlet. This sometimes stems from great tragedy or loss, sometimes from inherent personal demons...
Do you think it's possible to be driven at the level without these influences?
Who is the best-adjusted world champion you've met?
I hear a lot about the new crew of Australian surfers coming from great families with lots of support etc. Is this enough, or are they ultimately going to be cannon fodder for those with more drive?

I'm specifically not asking anything about your own history, though you can draw on anything you like in answering.

What's the best tip for progessing my surfing, as someone who hates hassling, yet surfs at highly crowded, competitive surf breaks, and isn't at the top of the pecking order?

Why do you think that few people who openly identify as surfers get actively involved in coastal management and policy?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 pm

dinosaur wrote:Are you really Nick Carroll?
Yes. But you're no goddam dinosaur.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Braithy wrote:What's your limit in the ocean? When does NC say no bloody way, too big?

Would you tow into 30 ft plus Jaws/ anywhere else, or paddle into 25ft Waimea?
This is sort of weirdly interesting I suppose. I really think the answer to this depends on the day and the situation. I'm not very interested in tow-surfing Peahi but I reckon I could do that if I concentrated on it for a while. I like surfing Waimea and when you go to Hawaii in winter you get yourself ready to ride the waves you want, so most days I'm there if it breaks, I'd happily surf it, unless something felt wrong about the day or I didn't have the right board or whatever. I guess I don't see any of it as some sort of test of your manhood or surferhood or whatever, you ride a wave or a spot because you want to and you're prepared to, not because you think it will make you more of a Man, and if you're not there on the day, you can't really judge it either.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
dinosaur wrote:Are you really Nick Carroll?
Yes. But you're no goddam dinosaur.
Fcuk that was a wasted post.. Nick I think you should give us another hundred due to some of the retarded questions you've had to answer... Maybe even bow out on 6666. Nice round number and sort of suits you in a way.

Come on Dino.. You could have at least thrown in something else to make it worthwhile..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole