quiver pix

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

quiver pix

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Image had all my boards out yesterday and got my daughter to take some pics, thought some might be interested in checking out the current quiver, I know I always like to see what different boards people have and especially like seeing the whole quiver.....
Image these ones are at home , the above ones are at my shaping shed....
it is interesting to see what ya ride when they are all in one spot.....please post pics of your quivers.... 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: quiver pix

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Got a bit of Welsh blood in you Mark? :wink:
Last edited by Trev on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Yep, my Dad was born in Wales....

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 am

Edit:
From left to right.
Robert August - What I ride
For tiny days, or teaching friends to surf.
Cutloose 7'2" 20" 2 3/4"
2nd board - when I realised my first was too small.
Cameron Liddle 6'8" 19 1/2" 13 3/4 2 3/4
I love this board when it gets over head high.
Webber Fatburner 6'6" 20 7/8" 2 7/8"
Daily driver for small waves. Almost dead.
I wouldn't get another red board - I feel too obvious in the water.
Plus the wax melts faster on it (maybe)
Channel Islands 6'3" ?" ?" (on loan to a friend)
I somehow learnt to surf on this. Solid as a rock. Nugget.

All bought from pawnbrokers or garage sales.

If I get back in the water, I'l get myself something in-between the Farburner and the Liddle.
Last edited by bc on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm

The line-up

The owner

The "active" quiver

Yorky 6'0" x 19 1/2" x 2 1/2" swallow tail thruster, low rocker and low boxy rails.
McGrigor 6'0" x something x something single fin. Forward foil and rocker apex.
MORE Quadfather 6'0" x 19 1/2" x 2 9/16" roundtail McKee quad.
MORE Swinger 5'11" x 20 1/2 (18 1/2" after stinger) x 2 1/2" roundtail McKee quad.
MORE Kritta 5'7" x 20 3/4" x 2 3/4" flat-deck small wave rocket.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Makes me quiver.jpg
QUIVER
These are my crew mostly long,add to them my two mats the booger is for IMO grovel stuff and grandkids' surf expeditions.
The bisect is for serious OS travel where boards are not the flavour on the airline.
Miss Metallica is for scaring the crap out of ignorant drop in note the riveted metal nose :shock:
The Outer Island is the dark yellow one called Mango Ganesh with the V stringers and C drive fins is my current Indo travel board, no airline worries there , the swallow tail Magic Fish is my short board myo only Surftech and even shorter is my son's kneeboard, for pit punching on a couple of rock shelve around here where I cannot fit a long board.
The blue one is a Na Papa I won in a contest :D
I still ride them all when the time is right
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 pm

a metal nose? how did that come about? doing a bit of flashing work when you noticed a ding?

who shaped the kneeboard?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 pm

purple pyramids wrote:a metal nose? how did that come about? doing a bit of flashing work when you noticed a ding?

who shaped the kneeboard?
Yep, a fake metal nose. When I had Miss Metallica shaped by Terry Glass in Ulladulla there was a firm that was doing photographic underlays for boards and there was one of a hot riveted boiler so I had that glassed top and bottom on the nose. There was a brick wall too but I didn't think it was so believable.
Caused quite some squawks out of any poor drop in at the time + local crew told heavy stories about the metal nose boogey hunter :shock:
The knee board is a Kneeon shaped by Wayne Hutch, good questions, but it's flat down here at the moment!
Ah well Sunday :!:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 pm

wheres your quiver pic PP ???

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Green one is a 10' Wegener Model A
Red railed is a 9'4 Takayama Joel Tudor Model (or a DT2)
Orange on is a 6'8 McCoy Astron Zot
Pale one is a 6'6 DVS Classic fish (longboarders short board?)
The blue one is a home brewed 6'3 twin keeled fish.

The McCoy is my go to board for 90% of the time.

I'm not long back from Wales Mark. Got to surf the Gower and Porthcawl. Lived there for 22 years but had never surfed there. It was good to go back and look at the old country from a different perspective - made me appreciate it a lot more, but I'll never move back - we've got it too good here :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm

cool, very interested in pics of Welsh waves if you have any......good quiver mate..... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:
The McCoy is my go to board for 90% of the time.
You obviously enjoy the Astron mate. How does it surf? Whats it like to ride? I'm always curious in designs very different to anything I have ridden before.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:27 pm

yeah, be keen to try one myself, hear very mixed reports on them, some love em and love evrything McCoy does, legend in the shaping game but his boards arent for the majority so it seems or not for the way the majority choose to surf might be a better way of puttin it..... 8)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:16 am

Hey Capn ...

Mark nailed it, they're not for everyone.

That Zot is very big - 21 3/4 wide and just over 3" thick. I reckon half of it for me is having a shorter board, and it's really easy to step down off my longboards cos they're essentially the same width and thickness.

I found the Zot is stable but really twitchy and lively underfoot at the same time :?: It replaced a 8ft Single McCoy.
My son has a 6'10 McCoy thruster which I don't get along with, it doesn't do anything for me. I've heard the singles are meant to be for perfect, clean lined up waves, but I enjoy taking them out in slop too and trying to find the bowls in the local beachies. For me it's all about the turns. I've only had it for a couple of months - I have struggled with it on my backhand a bit, still getting used to it.

Mark, I don't have many pics of Welsh waves but I'll post one up when I can get my hands on it.....

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 am

Tried riding a 6'4" Stumpy nugget this last weekend and while it had flashes where "I get it" they were in the absolute minority.
28 years since I'd ridden an early zap and I can safely say the Stumpy thruster is not for me.
Rode this morning in 3' fast reeling beachbreaks and found the board dictated its own position on the wave.
It went quite well... straight.
I know what I can normally do on this kind of wave and the board was literally holding me back.
I swapped to a different board I'd never ridden before and then it was easy to go where I wanted on the wave not just try to make it and hang on.
The other thing is of course duck diving.
I have plenty of boards that are thick but the McCoy is in a class of its own when it comes to lack of penatration.
Push the nose down and wait for the ineviatable pummeling. Classic.
The one thing that makes me reticent to try an Astron Zot is the wide tailed single.
I still have absolute clarity in my memory of putting the Lazor Zap up on a rail in cutbacks at the wreck (Byron) back in 82 and having the board just fly away from me as the fin let go.
Can't see how an Astron Zot wouldn't do the same.
Figured the thruster Stumpy with the 17" tail would have the hold. Well yes but the rest of the planshape didn't work for me.
Find it strange that the McCoy mantra is about neutrality but the board dictated how it was ridden.
Have said it before. More shapers need to make demos available to back up their claims.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 am

good and interesting feedback CF, cant beat ride report on boards from someone like yourself who has a diverse quiver ( pics please ? ) and has been around ( sorry not trying to make ya feel old ) and ridden alot of different designs. I have never ridden a McCoy of any shape so no opinion, but read articles and chatted with quite a few guys who swear by his boards. There is a local guy round here who surfs well on his boards but think he'd surf well on anything... I agree with the demo boards, just wish I had the dollars to have more available, my occasional demo days and travelling boards will have to do ( a new traveller on its way soon too )... 8)

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 am

Today.
I'll take a quiver shot today.
It will probably take me a while to figure the photo upload bit though.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:40 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Today.
I'll take a quiver shot today.
It will probably take me a while to figure the photo upload bit though.
Once you have the photo on your computer, go to tinypic.com and upload it there. It talks you through the process there, send me a PM if you have any questions (keen to see the quiver as well, haha)