so what happens to the surfers who dont make it into the 32?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

onawave
regular

so what happens to the surfers who dont make it into the 32?

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am

anyone explain this one to me?

how do they re-qualify if they drop out of the top 32?

do they have to wait until next year to re-qualify?

oracle wisdom appreciated...

mical
barnacle

Re: so what happens to the surfers who dont make it into the 32?

Post by mical » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm

onawave wrote:they have to wait until next year re-qualify
Basically, it's one ranking system now so it's back to the 'QS to try and requalify for next years 'CT.

Looking through the scenarios of potential 32 who'll progress, there's still a lot of cannon fodder in the list.

Maybe a top 25?

The Oracle
regular

Post by The Oracle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm

onawave wrote:
oracle wisdom appreciated...
Sorry I got nothing on this one..

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Maybe a top 25?
when i looked at the list today i thought the same thing....

a top 25 would make things very exciting in heats, as almost every surfer would be top notch....

i understand that tennis has a one ranking system. but how do you guarantee yourself a place in the big games? by being in the top x?

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Sorry I got nothing on this one..
well id never...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:52 pm

OK it is complicated. For a while anyway.

After Chopes the world title deciding events flip to a 36 man format -- 32 seeds and four wildcards.

They're not sure of the format yet partly 'cause 36 is a cnut of a number.

If you're not inside the 32 then you only get to go in non-world title deciding events, ie the primes and six stars and so forth.

Only guys in the 32 get to win a world title 'cause they're the only guys earning world title points.

Down the track, ie once next year's up and running, the idea is that the ASP will re-seed the top 32 every few events, based on the One World rankings system (which combines your points from all ASP events and gives you a ranking based on your top eight results) so there's a constant mix of guys coming in and out of the bottom layer of the 32.

So you can only win a world title by being in the top 32 -- but you can get into the 32 by killing 'em in the primes and six stars.

But! Till then, next year's opening top 32 can ONLY be derived from guys who were in this year's original top 45. So there's still a bit of protected species-ism going on.

In real terms: once this whole thing is established, what'll probably happen is:

If you're a Top 32 bottom dweller, you'll get the flick a little bit quicker than a current Top 45 bottom dweller;

You'll have a chance to get back in a lot quicker too;

Guys who regularly get ninths and quarterfinal placings in world title type events will remain completely protected from relegation.

Go have a look at the ASP site and view the ranking system for more clues as to this mathematical shemozzle.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:01 pm

thanks nick. appreciate it.

do u think a 25 would be better like mical said?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 pm

well you know those guys you see at the shops and out and about that have quicksilver, ripcurl and billabong t shirts on.. but they dont look like surfers?
(whatever surfers are supposed to look like)
they are what happens to ex pro surfers.
they blend in with you and i but they have nice clothes at bbq's
sometimes when i see a guy in the doctors waiting room or on a bus that has a surf t shirt on, i ask them what's the surf like. but they never know.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:38 pm

onawave wrote:thanks nick. appreciate it.

do u think a 25 would be better like mical said?
Nah not really. I think you need room for generational change in the top echelon of pro surfing and a number much smaller than this current one would push that away.

What I DO reckon is that some smart person should back in a post-year Champions event for all major event winners, where they go somewhere sick (P-pass?) for one major swell and between the six or eight or however many of 'em there are that year, surf to a fcuken standstill over three days of slalom-style competition for a prize purse of $500k.

No spectators, just webcast and TV show.

No stupid man-on-man heats -- as mentioned, run it slalom-style, which means each guy waits in line for a wave like you do in a normal surf situation. Each guy gets 10 mins or whatever to pick a wave. The other guys can hang out in the lineup or wait in a boat for their turn or whatever they like.

Scores add up on a leaderboard, like golf in reverse (ie the bigger score takes the lead).

In three days everyone gets to ride 24 waves each -- eight per day -- or whatever number fits the conditions. Every single wave counts.

Viewer is guaranteed 24 rides from each of the year's best surfers in incredible conditions ... with the tension mounting as guys go up and down the scoreboard and the event evolves. It's trippy and interesting for the surfers 'cause the system's different, yet in a way that reflects true surfing. There's no repetition, 'cause there's a different guy on each consecutive wave. There's no elimination. It's not part of the world title race. There's just surfing, hard, trying to outdo the other guys and your own last score. And it's done in three days.

So what about it Hurley? Nike 6.0? Oakley? Anyone?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm

thats nice nick...but the asp can't even inform us who's judging the comps...so i fully cast doubt over your post that they may have considered anything past there knee jerks :roll:

the truth is :arrow:

if they don't make the cut

they have a choice of a desert camp behind barb wire or the same on sth pacific island

it's the gillard/abbot...hard core solution too no good pro surfers :idea:

your vote counts...shame they all stand for exactly the same :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 pm

great idea nick,put it together with online public judging within a time frame..would be great to be a part of it live

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am

yeah - that would be pretty rocking too watch.

pick a world class wave (mentawai's for example) and let them go nutz....

i like the idea of the slalom event too. seeing all the guys in the water at the same time, knowing that your "favourite" surfer is only 3 waves away would be very cool indeed...

sean doherty

Post by sean doherty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:07 am

Nick Carroll wrote:After Chopes the world title deciding events flip to a 36 man format -- 32 seeds and four wildcards.

They're not sure of the format yet partly 'cause 36 is a cnut of a number.
Pretty sure it's gonna be a first round of 12 x 3-man heats, 1st and 2nd through to round three, the 12 guys who finish 3rd drawn into 4 x 3-man heats in round two. Third place in these are kicking cans down the road, leaving 32 for round three.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 am

^^^ yeah...sorta like the chicks.

Weird points spread across the placings ... weird event rhythm. Eight guys surf two rounds of non man-on-man competition. Fcuken awkward however you cut it.

BDL77
regular

Post by BDL77 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:17 am

Wicked idea Nick.
“I am getting wealthy in ways that don’t count at the bank”
- Gerry Lopez

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
No stupid man-on-man heats -- as mentioned, run it slalom-style, which means each guy waits in line for a wave like you do in a normal surf situation. Each guy gets 10 mins or whatever to pick a wave. The other guys can hang out in the lineup or wait in a boat for their turn or whatever they like.

Scores add up on a leaderboard, like golf in reverse (ie the bigger score takes the lead).

In three days everyone gets to ride 24 waves each -- eight per day -- or whatever number fits the conditions. Every single wave counts.

Viewer is guaranteed 24 rides from each of the year's best surfers in incredible conditions ... with the tension mounting as guys go up and down the scoreboard and the event evolves. It's trippy and interesting for the surfers 'cause the system's different, yet in a way that reflects true surfing. There's no repetition, 'cause there's a different guy on each consecutive wave. There's no elimination. It's not part of the world title race. There's just surfing, hard, trying to outdo the other guys and your own last score. And it's done in three days.

So what about it Hurley? Nike 6.0? Oakley? Anyone?
Nick Nick Nick - you're so damn spot on. Slalom format was the absolute cat's pyjamas, and it's criminal that it got torpedoed by a bunch of CT tryhards who had no idea (you know who you are).

IMHO, the 45 is not the problem, the problem is that the format sucks - it takes forever, there's bugger all exciting heats, hasslers dominate heats without priority, and the best surfer mostly doesn't win the event. Slalom was so much better - it was quicker, you had to get very high scores to win, you surfed against the whole comp and the best surfer always wins, and it works with any number (it doesn't have to be a power of 2)

I don't know why people want the cellar dwellers out. We need underdogs, both for the drama they sometimes provide by getting up against all the odds and by side stepping relegation. All caviar makes a pretty boring diet.