It's 5am in J-Bay.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

It's 5am in J-Bay.

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Still dark.
Long period SW groundswell expected ( i personally think the Surfline call has overcooked it slightly) with solid overhead Supers expected.

Reynolds up in Ht 3.

thats a coupla hours time.

Fcuk the world Cup.......
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

onawave
regular

Re: It's 5am in J-Bay.

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm

awesome - could be the best comp so far this year....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm

actually the trials will be on today........boo :cry:

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

how long is the swell forecasted to hang around for?

every time i see a pumping j-bay - i think i should head over there.... looks insanely good..

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm

oh, don't bother.

fcuking whiteshorts bru.....you get min waves I tune you bru.

We have better and hollower pointsurf here.
True.

shambles

Post by shambles » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Trials is one heat that will run at 7.30am (3.30pm nsw time). Main event should start at 8am. Pretty sure its live on Fuel Tv

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:48 pm

onawave wrote:how long is the swell forecasted to hang around for?
Looking at the models the SW groundswell should wane throughout Friday and into Saturday morning, before another pulse arrives during Saturday afternoon, albeit, smaller than the pulse that's currently hitting there today. Looks to get pretty smallish after that, but still some small swells from the SW, but this direction isn't great for J Bay and usually requires a large swell height and corresponding large swell period to wrap around and get in there.

Winds don't look overly great from Sunday onwards either, potentially being crossshore at best.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 pm

The Messiah's already made half the top 44 look irrelevant.

Watch the replays of his opening top turn-roundhouse move.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Too true Nick.. wave selection was his only glitch..

Funny to hear Occy count Flores barrell as 9 seconds when it was in Slo Mo..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 pm

haha Occ is a classic...

"we're still looking at the empty line-up............ahh....eehhh....theres a bird in the line-up.....ahhh here they are" *camera changes to someone paddling*

I think they're getting desensitised to the perfect barrels. Thiago Peres was getting a solid long barrel way down the line and they were just chatting away like nothing was happening, haha.

Danes first turn on his high scoring wave was a pleasure to watch. It caused an immediate "ooooorrrrrrrr!" to come out of my mouth
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Bugger me, how much speed did Flores have to race that barrel. Can't quite understand how that wasn't a 10?

Anyway, Dane looked like he was surfing in fast forward. How quick was he and how were those turns. Giddy up young man!!!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm

It was good watching both Kelly and Dane ride small boards out there. I think there are performance benefits of going shorter and wider, I'm surprised not too many others have caught on yet...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 pm

OMG what an insanely gorgeous wave. best on the tour imo.
i've no doubt Flores fell in love today.
The king pulled off the snap of the day but he still looked a little disjointed by his standards(maybe he needed another fin in that board). he'll need to call upon the freak within(again) and Jordy will also need every ounce of his local knowledge if both want to stop Eugene.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 am

caught the coverage at Matt Wilinsons heat...was pretty good viewing, Owen was standout for me for what I caught...keen to see Danes first turn, will be watching highlights for sure....Interesting to hear what they are riding now in these waves, and remebering what they were all riding 5 yr ago....
Occ is a great surfer and icon for Aussie surfing but some pretty dopey efforts at commentary but dont mind coz its 'Occ'...haha.... 8)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 am

Weblink anyone?

Don't make me waste my morning trawling internet sites.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 am

http://www.billabongpro.com/jbay10/

There you go old's, ya lazy old cnut :mrgreen:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:23 am

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:31 am

Was a good day.

Man of the Match was undoubtedly Sean Holmes for his pre-heat interview with GT where he managed to comprehensively out rock-star the man.
Double Earrings, wierd 80's hairdo that seemed to channel Echo and the Bunnymen, shades. All boxes were ticked.

GT himself was slightly off-song.
At first I thought due to a lack of big match time but on sober reflection I believe the main contributing factor was a lack of headgear.
Allow me to explain:
GT normally has some effete beret or scarf combo going but stung by criticsim that he was being too metrosexual for the meat-eating Saffas he has toned down the look and ditched the headgear.
Now in terms of absolute volume of hair, GT is holding the line; but when the question of follicular distribution comes front and central,as it inevitably does at these gigs, eg when a gust of offshore wind comes blowing from across the African Veldt, there are some mighty thin patches there.
Not saying GT is any more vain than the average man but the uneven distribution and subsequent threat of balding and hence intimation of the slow decline of male powers into death was undoubtedly playing on his mind and stifling the free flow of thought forms from the brain to the mike.
Message to Bong : get GT some headgear.

Blakey was solid as always in the box. Louie does alright but suffers from ocassional brain lapses where he loses the power of logical thought and coherent speech.
At one Point, aided by a fairly sizzling cameo from Sal Masekala, Louie became convinced that Slater couldn't win Title Ten without winning this comp at J-Bay.
He became quite absolutist about it. It was just impossible.
I like men of passion who adhere to their principles but this was just a bridge too far.
Louie: Slater is winning mate. Leading the fcuking ratings. Look at Parko last year....he won J-Bay and destructed with spectacular precision.
Slater need do no more than finish highly in this comp and still be overwhelming favourite.

Thankfully Old Baldy poured the appropriate scorn on this suggestion in the post heat IV with GT. Diplomatically of course, as befits an elder statesman of the Sport.

Slater's performance didn't impress me. Too much tight radius pivoting in the lip, not enough full blooded carves. I've never liked the way he surfs J-Bay.
By God this wave can make people look like kooks : judges should be harsher on any uneccessary flapping, hopping, half turns, mini turns, set-up turns, double pumping, flailing recoveries, mistimed turns, unemphatic cutbacks, waving arms, dodgy stances etc etc.

By those measures Jordy Bru's waves were overscored. His timing was just off, his linkage between turns sometimes a little ungraceful.
Taj looked good, as did that Saffa wildcard Staples.
Bonus Points to Roy Powers for the Gimp Hat.

We pray now for a Messiah, Jordy Final.