Fat cats gettin' fatter

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mical
barnacle

Fat cats gettin' fatter

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 am

Billabong buys RVCA

Billabong own how many 'brands' now?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Fat cats gettin' fatter

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 am

"Billabong said RVCA was "an art and design-driven brand focusing on a diverse range of activities that both represent and inspire youth"

I'm sorry MR P. R. Wanker who came up with that sentence, but I'm afraid that it doesn't mean anything, and you haven't said anything.

Represent and inspire youth.

Oh yeah, youth everywhere are just hanging on your every design.

Damn you, damn you all to hell.

Now I have to clean all this vomit off my keyboard. :cry: :? :evil:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:33 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:05 pm

robzig wrote:I knew they owned a lot but fricken hell.............I'm sure I have missed a couple.
West 49
That one's not quite in the bag yet... but I expect 'bong will counter it.

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7928317

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:14 pm

robzig wrote:I knew they owned a lot but fricken hell.............I'm sure I have missed a couple.

RVCA
West 49
Becker
Surfstitch
Swell.com
DaKine
Sector 9
Xcel
Quiet Flight
Element
Von Zipper
Honolua Surf Company
Kustom
Palmers
Nixon Watches
Tigerlily
man thats insane....

personally i prefer shopping at quiksilver.... their stuff just seems better quality...

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

onawave wrote:personally i prefer shopping at quiksilver.... their stuff just seems better quality...
OAW NO! It's probably made in the exact same place!

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Can someone please tell them that plaid boardshorts, t-shirts with logos, beanies with logos, hoodies with logos and some miscellaneous garments with miscellaneous, derivative patterns do not amount to "an original, highly creative design element," as Mr O'Neill said.

Then again, I guess you don't shift units by saying "...underpinned by a derivative and pedestrian design element".

Be refreshing, though.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Then again, I guess you don't shift units by saying "...underpinned by a derivative and pedestrian design element".
www.patagonia.com

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

What is it that makes people pay top $$ for some piece of shit garment, made by a 6 year old in terrible working conditions, with a big fcuking logo on it advertising someone else's company that announces to the world that they 'surf' when they could probably buy the exact same thing without the advertising on it for 1/3 the cost?

Do they feel sponno'd? Closer to the 'core' of surfing? Part of the tribe?

WHAT THE FCUK IS IT? :?

Edit: Not directed at anyone in particular. I've just always wondered about people decked out in surf gear and their reasons why they do it. Probably the same reason people wear footy jumpers and the like I guess.
Last edited by mical on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:43 pm

mical wrote:What is it that makes people pay top $$ for some piece of shit garment, made by a 6 year old in terrible working conditions, with a big fcuking logo on it advertising someone else's company that announces to the world that they 'surf' when they could probably buy the exact same thing without the advertising on it for 1/3 the cost?

Do they feel sponno'd? Closer to the 'core' of surfing? Part of the tribe?

WHAT THE FCUK IS IT? :?
Acceptance by the herd.

It is very, very important to most people as they love to be associated with images and ideals that they feel defines, validates and to a degree, hides them
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Once again Hatchy comes to my aid with an answer.

I don't mean to say that I don't have clothes with surf logos on 'em, I'm sure we all do.

I just don't go out of my way to buy 'surf wear' to look the part. Most of it is gifts from family for Christmas, birthdays etc and most of it's bloody terrible and gone unworn too.

Some of the homeless folk around my way sure must look the part.

onawave
regular

Post by onawave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 pm

in regards to choice of clothes, id much rather purchase something from a surf brand than say, target, david jones, glue or whatever shop is cool....

i guess we have a certain image of ourselves, and the surf brands do a good job of supplying that image....

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:12 pm

onawave wrote:in regards to choice of clothes, id much rather purchase something from a surf brand than say, target, david jones, glue or whatever shop is cool....

i guess we have a certain image of ourselves, and the surf brands do a good job of supplying that image....
Fcuk that, Target usually have cheap t-shirts going for less than $10 and some of the big stores can have some really good bargains - even wihout the lurid logos adorning them.

I'm motivated more by price than anything else and the cheaper the better. Kind of why I wear a lot of flannies as they're always warm, cheap as fcuk and you never care if they get stained or wrecked - and when it's $5 bucks for one (or more if they're on special :D ) why would you!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Agree Hatchy.
Everything is made in Asia anyway.
So it's Rivers, Lowes and Trade Secret for me. And Target. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Just buy during sales...can get shirts $20 bucks

I like the soft cotton of RVCA. probably only surf clothes i buy...they have a good cut

Need to have some fashion to get a root..

sure u lads wearing lowes and rivers must be wacking it raw...or married.

nothing better than italian fabrics...i will pay top dollar for that!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:20 pm

lovenutz wrote:sure u lads wearing lowes and rivers must be wacking it raw...or married.
Reckon there's more than a grain of truth in this one nutz...though they'd be fcuken slow to admit it.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 pm

lovenutz wrote: I like the soft cotton of RVCA. probably only surf clothes i buy...they have a good cut

nothing better than italian fabrics...i will pay top dollar for that!
That I pay because you're not talking about 'surf fashion' or 'image'.

You just like good clothes, as do I but not because of the label attached. :wink:
lovenutz wrote:sure u lads wearing lowes and rivers must be wacking it raw...or married.
Not slow NC, was just replying as you did.

Not married here, but may as well be. She's got the ring, the baby, half of everything.

Doesn't mean I can't look good :(