F******g J*w

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bc
charger

F******g J*w

Post by bc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/surf-star-rid ... -qn77.html

Interesting article, however the comments from Vic Alhadeff seem to be addressed more towards Stab magazine rather than Fanning.

(The article is not on the stab website yet)

Assuming what Mick says is true, and his comments were ironic, it seems to be like John Mayer's N****R comments - there are just some things that are always going to be taken out of context.

http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/john-mayer- ... ntroversy/

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: F******g J*w

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Not a nice place to be as a Professional Sportsman, tagged as an anti-semite.
That kind of odour can take a long time to wear off.

Seems STAB are backpeddling a bit lately.
Being a CNUT just for the sake of it, as a raison detre, just to sell skinny jeans to brainwashed yoof, is a losing deal if you ask me.
Which they aren't.

I know this won't happen but a cage fight between Fanning and Chas Smith would be a noble way to settle the score. At least keep the lawyers out of it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

daisy
regular

Post by daisy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Assuming what Mick says is true, and his comments were ironic, it seems to be like John Mayer's N****R comments - there are just some things that are always going to be taken out of context.
i think you are misunderstanding either 'ironic' or 'context' or both

it is pretty safe to say that the context in the case of the John Mayer interview was prior ingestion of a lot of alcohol or another similarly performance enhancing substance. in the case of Eugene, i think the main irony would be that he set himself up so badly talking to a journalist. i'm thinking there is some pretty serious remedial media training going on in the Rip Curl camp right about now.

that said, the focus should rightly be on Stab for printing that sh*t.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:51 pm

daisy wrote:i think you are misunderstanding either 'ironic' or 'context' or both
Lets have a loot at the article I referenced:

"But he blamed the magazine for taking his words out of context, saying they were intended to be ''ironic''."

''Prior to the exchange with the reporter, I had refused to speak with him because I understood he worked for Stab magazine and that it had previously published articles which I believed were racist and anti-Semitic. I strongly object to views, statements and comments of that nature.

"Smith published a Fascist Issue of the magazine when he was guest editor in early 2009, including a lengthy excerpt from Nazi leader Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf. Stab publisher Sam McIntosh told The Sun-Herald Fanning's quotes were newsworthy and publication was in the public interest."

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm

seems like plenty of folks have a poor understanding of what irony means - bigotry fits better

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 pm

The NSW Jewish Board of Deputies is possibly the most ridiculous and least credible organisation on the planet.

Vic Alhadeff is their chief apologist/propagandist.

Regardless of the topic, I am not the slightest bit interested in what those fucking plonkers think.

Vic Alhadeff was able to get an article published last week in the SMH. I have never read anything from anyone associated with the Jewish Board of Deputies that wasn't the most spin-infected piece of Goebbels inspired propaganda.

How ironic!

I don't care what Fanning said, the Jewish Board of fark knuckles virtually define unthinking, one-eyed, blinkered, brain-dead, anti-argument, mono-think, you aren't allowed to think any independent thought if you have any jewish relations, bunch of neanderthal fruckers.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

(Whoa, Olds, didn't see you coming out of my blind side their big fella, but popped this out while you were winding up)

This is... a SuperCharged and highly vexed issue here my mateys.
I felt alarm bells ring recently when a contributor to these forums cynically made reference to residents of 'Belljew Hill" as ..what? i dunno, some kind of slight at lesser beings?..morally or intellectually bankrupt surfers in the geodemographic region of the Eastern suburbs of Sydney..? What the fcuk was that all about you may ask...?.
What was Fanning thinking? A sleight directed at a flaky surf mag writer and their parasitic path on the surf bandwagon?... What? as though calling em a 'Jew' was to suggest they were lesser beings for their mercenary objective? FAAArk. That can't be right. But maybe that's how those with a limited capacity to retort intelligently or at least without resorting to hideous racial stereotypical malice, might...
Not Eugene you might think... But what if? Fa chuck steak guys, he's a frikken good athlete. No more! No less! Got himself wound up, stiched up, fucked himself up.
And, as some responses to the Mayer kerrfuffle suggest, is our frequent use of the soubriquet CNUT!? any less offensive to those with one? Gotta wonder. And remember, all those that wonder aren't necessarily lost!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm

going buy stab just see wats going on :shock:

haven't paid for a surf mag for a while

but this will get me dig into the wallet :P

hell knows...stab broke the news about sarge when rest surf media turned a blind eye ( for decades)

if i'm gonna fork out $10

i want the truth :idea: mick sounds lousy as in the sound bites :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:going buy stab just see wats going on :shock:

haven't paid for a surf mag for a while

but this will get me dig into the wallet :P

hell knows...stab broke the news about sarge when rest surf media turned a blind eye ( for decades)

if i'm gonna fork out $10

i want the truth :idea: mick sounds lousy as in the sound bites :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
And thus the whole ruse has worked on you MKM this is nothing more than Stab trying to sell magazines. Micks no anti semite, hell I seriously doubt he even knows the meaning of the word. The reply that was printed in the SMH was a carefully scripted piece by one of the Ripy marketing crew or a legal eagle from Micks management running cover for the champ. Mick Fanning is a gifted surfer from Coolangatta, a regular Aussie bloke and friends to anyone no matter what their religious view is.
This whole blow-up is a symptom of the classic growing pain that pro surfing is going through as it starts to infiltrate through to main stream interest, kinda like those hilarious statements that come from football players managers when their charge is caught with a beak full of gak chock-a-block up a lady of the night.
Mick got caught off guard by a clever journo who has no real connection to surfing and therefore no fear of throwing a cheap shot at the champ about something that has NOTHING to do with surfing, the writer is clutching at the proverbial straws and trying to get something … anything that will attract readers. Sam Mac on the other hand is the one really putting his balls on the block as the publisher it's a big risk to take to try and sell the last few editions of a small print run magazine but it has thrown the spotlight on Stab. The real Irony here is that Sam MAc Stab's publisher and part or full owner (I dunno the deets) is very best mates with Taj and he also has VERY strong business ties with the Billabong group of companies. If we wanna get real "Area 51" we could suggest that perhaps this is part of some jewish led plot to throw Rip Curls boy off his game and help open the door for Billabongs boy TAj as the Title race heads to Rip Curl country. What does a Billabong world champ do to the stock price? Is lots of Billabong stock held by the jewish community …oh the possibilities … oh the suspense … oh the humanity, it has all the components of a spy thriller or at least a Geoffrey Archer novel. I can't fuckin wait for Bells. Bring it on!
PS. Mustkill read that piece of crap at the news agents and drop the tenner on Taj to win Bells with sports bet but watch out for Fanning when he's hurting he's like a surf version of Jason Bourne.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 am

Peel , you represent , what Smith very adequately revealed by the Stab interview , that the surfing industry is fcuking boring and has lost touch with the real world. It , like you , hasn't grown up. Fanning was racist , no doubt about that , and is trying to get out of it by saying he was being ironic??? Come on , anyone with half a brain won't buy that.

The interview was very revealing about the "scene".....every surfer that has a vague interest in the "industry" and "culture" or more importantly the lack of , should read the Charlie Smith piece.

Don't be a pawn Peel , show some individuality pal. It's pathetic.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 am

A re-post from elsewhere-relevant methinks!
Research finds PR spinning most newspaper stories
Posted 1 hour 23 minutes ago

MAP: Sydney 2000
Researchers have found more than half of newspaper stories surveyed over five days were driven by the public relations industry.

More than 2,000 articles from 10 newspapers were analysed by the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism at the University of Technology in Sydney and online publication Crikey in September last year.

The results showed nearly 55 per cent of all stories were triggered by public relations firms.

The Daily Telegraph came out on top with 70 per cent of its stories sourced from the PR sector, with the Sydney Morning Herald at 42 per cent.

Crikey editor Sophie Black says it is not what most readers would expect.

"It's not to say there isn't a role for public relations," she said.

"But I think most readers would be very surprised to realise that a lot of the news they read has been generated by PR in some way."

Crikey says most journalists and editors refused to respond when asked about the public relations element in their stories, and some later withdrew comments out of fear they would be reprimanded or fired.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 am

Whether or not you believe the article to show Mick as a racist, you have to admit it succeeded in making him look like a spoilt, egotistical wanker.

You'd HAVE to admit that if you've read it.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

skipper wrote:(Whoa, Olds, didn't see you coming out of my blind side their big fella, but popped this out while you were winding up)
Yeah, thought I would throw it out there skipper.

I just have no time for the intolerant and hateful Jewish Board of Deputies. I don't know any organisation so well organised to conduct witch burnings of anyone and everyone who utters anything remotely critical of the divinely perfect state of Israel.

Particularly if you are an articulate jew who rightly points out the rank hypocrisy that is ever-present in modern day Israel's policies towards Palestinians. Just ask Antony Lowenstein how immoderate and intolerant the Jewish Board of Deputies can be.

And as for calling someone a fuc&#@@ jew, well that is widely accepted as being a racist comment these days, but I just can't see it being quite as significant as throwing people out of their own homes so that you can build more houses on land that is in another country, keeping a whole people virtual prisoners in their land, allowing only limited access and movement to the peoples of a state. The on-the-ground extant racism that is current Israel government policy hardly matters though, because apparently Mick Fanning called some journalist (cough) a fuc@#$% Jew.

Well get the ropes boys, lets string him up.

Meanwhile, we have the Jewish Board of Deputies to rationalise away a virtual apartheid system of government. Studied ignorance is their game, frightfully abhorrent arguments of moral relativism are their stock in trade.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

^^^ agreed, mical.

he got caught out & said something he shouldn't.

No, i don't think Mick is a racist.
Yes, he is in a bit of sh.it for saying that.
Yes, it looks as if the opportunistic journo caught him out & got a story.
Yes, i think opportunistic journalism is lower on the socio-morality scale than a politician, but only just.

i did think article in the sunday paper was put Mick in better light than the journo, and i think that's the way it should be in this case.

i've got no time for someone who's main aim is to follow professional sportspeople around & suck any juice of a story out of them like a leech.

i admire mick for standing up for something he beleives in & reacting passionately about that person & issue.
i don't agree with his word choice. if only he had swapped the word "JEW" with VAGINA...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am

A significant conflation of issues there Olds. I too don't agree with Zionism, but this issue being addressed is particular to here and doesn't make their comment about Fanning less valid. Bigotry is bigotry, whomever calls it out. The Israel - Palestine issue is very different and a little bit more complex, don't you think? It is pretty far from the issue at hand here, surely?

And why people are making excuses for him being a bigot baffles me? People are responsible for what they say, whether it is fueled by alcohol, anger, or whatever. To utter racist slurs is an expression of one's beliefs, whether we like it or not. Otherwise, we wouldn't utter such slurs. We all do of course, the thing is do we own them and try to wrestle with our own bigotry and challenge those racist ideologies in future, or do we make excuses and run for our PR team?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am

Context beyond the naughty comment....

I like Chuckie but think about it, the whole year he'd been mocking Fanning in print and in online reporting, calling him a robot and implying that he's a disaster for professional surfing's progressive image etc etc. And it's not like Chuck knows a shit load about surfing at that level.

Then after this whole year of more or less pissing on Mick, while Mick is quietly going about a task that's frankly well beyond most of his peers much less anybody else, he actually goes to Mick's world champ celebration party!

If youse reckon he went there hoping for a kiss and make up then you don't know how some writers think. Conflict is the blood of journalism...but when the journalist provokes the conflict, it's less blood and more pus, if you get my drift.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am

Huh Nick?

How can you say you like the guy?

Your saying he's clueless about Pro surfing (which he makes a living writing about) and that he's basically a pus-filled chancre on the body of the noble pursuit of surf journalism.

Please explain.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 am

The Stab Mag in question is plastic wrapped,
so can't be read in the shop.
Although it is only $4.95.