Skin Cancer

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

eMpowered
Local

Skin Cancer

Post by eMpowered » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:14 am

Skin Cancer,

Not sure we have ever done this...

My Dad has had some cut off.

Both my Grandfathers died from Melanomas.

I always at least wear a rashie....

But onAustralia Day... I thoght fcck it. Waters warm bit of a wave at my local. I'm going Boardies.

mrs put on quality sunscreen on my.

BURNT.

At 38, not o.k.

Should i have worn a rashie?

When i was a lad, Very brown. Since dad and Grandfathers see ya, A lot more concious.

You?

roy Stewart
regular

Re: Skin Cancer

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 am

Sun exposure is required for vitamin D production. .. lack of vitamin D causes cancer. Most people are chronically lacking in vitamin D

Most 'sunscreens' also cause cancer.

The whole thing is a scam.

We sunbathe every day the sun is shining ( 10 to 20 minutes exposure to 90% or more of the body ), and our health has improved dramatically, the most noticeable effect is that we don't seem to get viruses or infections.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:15 am

roy Stewart wrote:Sun exposure is required for vitamin D production. .. lack of vitamin D causes cancer. Most people are chronically lacking in vitamin D

Most 'sunscreens' also cause cance
r.

The whole thing is a scam.

We sunbathe every day the sun is shining ( 10 to 20 minutes exposure to 90% or more of the body ), and our health has improved dramatically, the most noticeable effect is that we don't seem to get viruses or infections.

:shock: :roll: :?: WTF :?:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 am

^^^^ and that ten per cent of Roy's cult that's not exposed, Trev?
Chockablock with pox scurvy herpes scabies and poo stains....
let the sun shine in on Roy i say... full force.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 am

Roy you were sprouting the same shit in the other thread...see you in five years without your nose and ears

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 am

OK Mike,
now we've dispensed with the "strange person", back to your original query.
I'm sure we've discussed this before but it's far too important not to re-visit from time to time.
I'm almost 62 and had a VERY mis-spent youth growing up on the Goldie from age 8.
Freckled, fair, Scottish skin.
I was in high school before there was any advice about skin damage from the sun.
Far too late.
So I have lots of little scaly bits iced off every year (there's a medical term for them somewhere in my records but they are a precurser to skin cancer which generally take years to develop). Simple procedure as part of an annual inspection.
I've had 2 worse ones cut out. Biopsy showed they were caught in time, but only just in the case of one.
So my time in the surf is limited to dawn patrols (in at first light and out when I've had enough - generally a couple of hours or so).
On the very odd occasion when I venture out during the day, like Shearer I have a hat, and I use plenty of sunscreen and limit myself to an hour or maybe 90 minutes.
Melanoma can surface anywhere, anytime and doesn't play by the rules of the things I get iced off. Can be deadly in a matter of months from first appearing.
I try not to be paranoid about it and I ain't about to give up surfing but I'm pretty aware of it.
Don't take any risks.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:45 am

depends on yer melanin

brown skinned people have huge amounts of melanin compared to rednuts
melanin is the bodys natural resistence to UVA and UVB rays, the atmos blocks out the UVC

so the more melanin your skin has the more resistence to damaging rays
sunscreen works by multiplying your PERSONAL resistence to sunrays. ie 30 plus = 30 times your natural protection.
so if your pale, freckly then you'll still get burnt wearing sunscreen because clearly, you have zero UV protection built in.

when your skin tans, it is an indicator that your skin is protecting itself from UVA and UVB radiation.

so for me, i've got reasonable protection built in, my dad is supertanned, barely any freckles and almost zero moles.
my mum is super freckly, no tanning really.
thankfully i take after the old man, but i screen it up cos qld sun is badass

i reckon they're 50% of the way to melanoma cure anyhow, they've just genetically mapped skin cancers last year.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Well it's true actually.

Without vitamin D from the sun you are F.u.ck-ED !
Almost all of your sunscreens are full of known carcinogens !

You blokes are the ones with tin foil hats on you are being sold a Mickey !

The stuff which you are putting on your skin causes skin cancer, also a lot of what you eat causes skin cancer. . .. the skin is one of the main organs used for excretion and can become cancerous if you keep eating industrial waste and smearing it on your skin !

:roll:
Last edited by roy Stewart on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3 prong
Grommet

Post by 3 prong » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

el rancho
Don't want to be alarmist but like you i'm naturally tanned(to the point in summer people have questioned my heritage) :lol:
and this colouring was from my old man who also was "supertanned" dark brown hair eyes etc..
My old man surfed every day possible for 40+ years and seemed to never get burnt.Had "barely any freckles/moles etc. yet In the space of 3 months he was diagnosed with Malignant Skin Melanoma and passed away due to the severity of the condition.He was 56... :cry:
Do youself a favor and get checked...just hoping someone might learn from his death...
Not lecturing :D

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Here's the current state of Roy's tan

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Roy, I suppose you think Martin Bryant and Ivan Milat were framed, too.
I can't believe you'd post this alarmist crap. So you are suggesting the Cancer Council is screwing us.
Vitamin D requirements are filled by a few minutes to a couple of hours in the sunlight. Depending on how far from the Equator you are.
And what qualifications do you have to counter all the medical practitioners out there who disagree with you?
Beanpole

Skipper

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 pm

^
Man in a skirt, woohoo

As l r said, it depends on your skin type.

Some ain't so lucky.

A balanced build up of some tan is recommended, in addition to use of sunblocks and clothing.

Also there's the vit D requirement, as pointed out by roy, and that requires a large area of skin be exposed, for 10 min or more.
Last edited by daryl on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 pm

3 prong wrote:
just hoping someone might learn from his death...
People are scared of the sun but not of their beer, food additives and other toxins, nor are they scared of vitamin D deficiency !

No point in blithely assuming that it's caused by the sun when the evidence says otherwise.

Better to learn the truth

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 pm

daryl wrote:As l r said, it depends on your skin type.

Some ain't so lucky.

A balanced build up of some tan is recommended, in addition to use of sunblocks and clothing.

Also there's the vit D requirement, as pointed out by roy, and that requires a large area of skin be exposed, for 10 min or more.
Sunblocks prevent vitamin D production though, so it has to be exposure without sunblock.

As one tans it takes more exposure to get the necessary vitamin D. . . start at 10 minutes and build up from there.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:47 pm

fu$%^##%#&* *&%^%#%^#iot

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:59 pm

This could be the first time I've actually had the opportunity to discuss nutcase ideas with an actual nutcase.

So Roy, what ingredient in an average bottle of sunscreen is a 'known carcinogen'? And don't make up some crap about zinc oxide being a 'toxin'.... I want sources too. NIOSH, OSHA something with a semblance of respectability.

Over to you.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Do it yourself, only you know what you standard of respectability is.

In my opinion health is a matter of chemistry not social respectability.

Have a look at the problems caused by vitamin D deficiency while you are at it