Byron Bay Carnage

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Byron Bay Carnage

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 am

Just read about the little kid smashed at The Pass. Hope he makes it out okay.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus_h
charger

Re: Byron Bay Carnage

Post by marcus_h » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Edit: just seen the article

http://www.inbyronbaytoday.com/

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

This is seriously farked. I hope the kid is ok. I don't know how we stop chaos like this happening more apart from physical violence & or threat of. There must be some way to regulate the kooks to stop incidents like this happening.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Maybe clubbies with megaphones going,"Its too crowded. You are all a danger to yourself and everyone near you. Go in."in 6 different languages.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:57 pm

yeah, hope the kid is OK.

unfortunately you can't stop the idiots. a 49 yo male broke his neck at avoca yesterday while jumping off the point in some flat day fun. he hit his head on the rocks. i don't like saying this but he should've known better at his age.
westpac chopper landed on the footy oval to ship him down to RNS just after lunch yesterday.

likewise inexperinced surfers entering a crowded lineup well above their ability should be more responsible for their board in the first instance, and for their actions, if anything happens.
i agree with the byron report, who said the pass was a good place for people to learn to surf?
it must be circulated in the backpacker world...???

it is a sad world, but people just don'tseem to give a flying fark these days... :(
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

ocean/umina beaCH would be more suitable for learners..

send the backpacker learners here until they reach "able to ride open face" status then we'll move them on.

terms conditions are long, wont bore you with them. example is only 1 male per 6 female backpackers. and stuff like that
signatures, finally got it covered.

Nappy
Local

Post by Nappy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm

There needs to be a surfers court, ppl are responsible for the car there driving when there on the road. Why shouldnt surfers be responsible for there boards when in the surf...book him danno on a count of reckless board control and endangering lives.

First up Id give TC a whole heap of "dropping in fines"

This kinda crap wouldnt happen if locals were more hardcore like the old days, the locals would of sent them down to the white water at clarkes.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Ouch...

Thats heavy...I hope the kid gets 100% again. I know the Pass and it's not hard to imagine.

Ideas?

The learn-to-surf schools, who presumably profit from surfing, its image and the cash paid by school participants, could be subject to demands for responsibility.

Of course not all the learners ever attend a school session, and once the newbie is out there without supervision there can be no liability...but:-

Paste the inbyrontoday article,or the like, on the advertising material of all the schools, life-saving club and beach safety warning signs, forums such as this where beginners might come to glean information.

Make a sticky thread here, right at the top of the thread listings, entitled "Essential Beginner tips"

Ski-run style difficulty ratings? How would it be effectively policed? -

There's just a handful of breaks that get so crowded with all types of surfer skill-levels regularly...

(Yes, I know kooks infest everyones local from time to time, but the Pass is on another level - )

Pick the breaks where there is an SLSC nearby and have them work with surf-school instructors and council, all of who profit from these beginners, i.e - the carpark fees or board hire might subsidise crew paid to patrol the water and screen for dangerous kooks.

I reckon the instructors would be the old-hands at spotting them. Have them pack crew off back up the beach, to Belongil in this case.

(Hey, I had a ranger threaten to fine me if I straddled the fence to go down the long-shut track I've only used to get to the jump-off at "A-frames" for 15 years, so if he has the right to do that, then surf-school instructors could be vested with some power...)

Just an idea...

The one and only time I ever surfed Superbank I was amazed, utterly amazed that there was not more accidents and incidents. The agressive vibe in the water amongst the heavies on the peak was such that I reckon its only a matter of time before there's a need for police intervention. So how would you do that? Let alone police the beginners joining the fray?

Would anyone want cops paddling around in the line-up?

The enjoyment level in crowds is so reduced for me that I usually go find somewhere else anyway. Maybe we just need more recluses like me...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 pm

^ shoosh

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey Turtle...

shoosh? What you mean?

Josh

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:15 pm

speedneedle wrote:Hey Turtle...

shoosh? What you mean?

Josh

^^ we dont want to make reclusive cool, just be another fad then

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Oh...true...

Yes, coz lil' ol' me has so got the potential to make anything cool!! LOL...

But it's getting harder and harder man...today I was on a bank "down south" alone, and within 1/2 hr there was ten crew.

3's a crowd, 10 is unsufferable...I'm getting less and less surf time in. I Guess I'll have to start pulling scary faces.

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Etiquette and safety manuals with all surf equipment sold in beginner-heavy zones?

Hey, it could have been my kid. Thats why I give a damn...

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:19 pm

The Pass is far more dangerous than the Superwank ... starting with the more competent crew out the back ... who flagrantly ignore the "rules" ... dropping-in and aggression are the rule out there and things can get quite heated at times (so much for the peace ... love and harmony) ... moving into the next section of the wave that can stretch for a reasonable distance on a good day ... here you will find swimmers and holiday makers on all manner of craft floundering around ... mixed in amongst greedy longboarders and a plethora of backpackers incompetently floating about on their newly acquired "fun-boards" ... paddling for waves and bailing out repeatedly on take-off ... ditching their boards without even considering the consequences of the stupidity ... and there's your problem ignorant kooks embracing the surfing lifestyle without understanding any of the fundamentals ... the Superwank gets its fair share of lets call them wrongboarders ... but it doesn't get the fun-board freaks like Byron.
Thankfully there are some nice beach breaks happening at the moment dispersing the crowds somewhat.
And lastly ... best wishes to the young bloke and his family ... what an awful thing to have happen.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:56 pm

My eldest is 11 and just learing to surf. I have already seen SUP's and Longboards come uncomfortably close to him and he is just learning, out of everyones way, in the whitewater. It makes me sick to think of some little kid on hols have brain damage by some turd (backpacker I bet) who's in byron to learn to surf. I swear I would take a hammer to someone if they did that to my boy. AND whats with people who actually know how to surf, paddling into the line up, right up the guts of the line up so that when you swing around for one and start paddling, you have some wanker paddling straight at you to get out? Whats with that? When I was a grom if you did that you would have copped a beating in the surf and sent in, no matter where you went. I have surfed the superbank about 10 times and I must say I didnt have that much trouble getting waves but f,cuk when you are on one its like a driving test, in and out of surfers so much so that you cant concentrate on the wave. We need an Australian branch of the Wolfpak here, just like they have Hells Angels everywhere, bring the Wolfpak mentality here and ring that bell.

caspian
regular

Post by caspian » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm

We need an Australian branch of the Wolfpak here, just like they have Hells Angels everywhere, bring the Wolfpak mentality here and ring that bell.
"great idea bro"

It is a sad story though, and an all too common one. I had my last bodyboard basically sliced in half by a surfer (actually a friend of mine) abandoning his board at big Smith's reef. Just missed my head, and the speed it went past was incredible... Shot by like a bullet. It would've owned the hell out of my head.

I think I remember someone (forget where) saying that everyone, upon buying a board, should get hit on the head with it so they understand the consequences of abandoning it.
Last edited by caspian on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:45 pm

turtle wrote:ocean/umina beaCH would be more suitable for learners..

send the backpacker learners here until they reach "able to ride open face" status then we'll move them on.

terms conditions are long, wont bore you with them. example is only 1 male per 6 female backpackers. and stuff like that
I remember spending hours at ocean/umina beach in my holidays learning to surf, away from the crowds, just in the whitewater, how times have changed :(
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote: We need an Australian branch of the Wolfpak here, just like they have Hells Angels everywhere, bring the Wolfpak mentality here and ring that bell.

Great idea, Jellyback :idea:

You gunna lead the charge :?: :?: :?:

nah....didn't think so..........
You must feel real bad Assblaster, sorry thats Ringblaster, .....um Coc.kmaster.....whatever....... running in to people all the time on your SUP, that is when you are able to get it off the roof racks.......which given your skeletal frame, wouldnt be that often.