Thoughts on a Macaronis Resort trip.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

otway1949
barnacle

Thoughts on a Macaronis Resort trip.

Post by otway1949 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Got an offer for a mate's rates trip to Macaronis resort, compared with the going prices on their site and reviews seems good value and all amenities are available.
I'm on the goodish end of average surfer , mid length and mal done indo regularly since late seventies but not Mentawis. I know it's a full call anchorage for the boat trips.
Advice, thoughts on crowds etc would be welcome. other spots in mind, Lances lefts and rights and the others tell me more please :D
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

sweepstakes

Re: Thoughts on a Macaronis Resort trip.

Post by sweepstakes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Appears to be cheaper than a standard boat charter plus they have a boat which can go to HT's et al for a few days. Been giving the idea some thought myself too 8)

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 am

You would get some good but occasionally crowded waves at the macaronis resort. By staying there you be bound to score it without tonnes of guys in between boats. However the one thing that would stop me is that Macaronis is situated in a shallow malarial bay and the camp isn't very high above sea level e.g.: The chance of it getting dusted by a tsunami is high if you were unfortunate enough to be in the camp during one of indo's "tectonic events" .

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Only been to Maccas by boat so limited knowledge - my 2 bobs:

It's great but peak season can be crowded and a bit of a shit fight, even though everyone is trying to be cool (except the Brazzos). I have heard the camp is fairly popular with Brazzos. There were no surfers at the Maccas camp both times I was there due to catching it between bookings and at that stage when it was on shaky ground (management wise) and the place was empty. I hear its all ok now.

Everyone wants to surf Maccas so most of the boats stop there at some stage of their run, so unless you go in the shoulder or off season, it's unlikely you will jag it without a crowd, unless everywhere is pumping or you get lucky. The boat skippers talk to each other and are good at trying to spread the crowd around the islands when they can but it's not always possible. What's a crowd? Most i saw was 25 or so in the water, sort of manageable - but when you have 16 second period and long breaks between sets and a smallish main takeoff zone it can get a bit fidgety. You can take off from a couple of spots down the line though, which helps as you can jag a few "in-between" ones .

You can score shoulder season to yourself. We had it to ourselves for 2 days at 2-4ft in early October a couple of years ago which was good. Was also there in peak season mid July on a good swell and there were 6 boats in the bay, including 2 boat loads of Pro's on the Indies Traders: the Rusty team and quite a few of the girls from the world tour, including Bethamy Hamilton (who ripped the bag out of it with one arm). They were great to watch and to surf with, we still got waves. The Pro's were polite and had good surf etiquette but they still wanted all the best sets though, especially when the cameras were rolling - which was all the time. :?

Good thing - the reef is fairly flat, basically just a big rock shelf i think, reasonably forgiving if you can say that about shallow rock reefs? Not like Lances lefts or rights or some of the spots at Playgrounds with more coral and jagged lumps.

Also, don't under estimate KFC's (the break across the bay from Maccas). On the right swell and wind it can pump. Not the mechanical wave that is Maccas; its a little shifty like Bankvaults, but it can get good. There are a few other spots in reasonable proximity, depending on swell size and direction but we never got any of them working. it's quite a trek to Lances or Thunders from Maccas by boat.

As Maccas is generally a few hours boat ride between anywhere, once people arrive they will usually stay for a bit so expect to see boats in the channel for a day or 2 if the waves are on. It's not a swell magnet like some other spots so if the waves are smaller you can score no crowds sometimes as the boats may not make the journey.

At high tide i would think its a reasonable mal wave up to about 4ft. If it gets bigger, well, i would pick different equipment. It also sections off a fair bit when it's smaller (under 4ft).

Good fishing too. GTs, Spanish Mackeral etc plus good mud crabs... Watch the crocs and mozzies. Last time i was there the locals were warning us of a big croc that was hanging around with part of it's tail missing. Remember the crocs if you go snorkelling in the mangroves. :shock:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks Guys the whole thing has done a little shift or two, once to Telos Island Lodge neither Telos or Maccas did the mates rates didn't really expect much anyway ( business is business). But Telos is to much we have gone for twenty days at Kandui Resort, got a group price for our own renta crowd, we organise ( like herding cats by the way)

What are your break reports for around there? I have the on line brochure but personal reports are better :!: TAH
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

curly

Post by curly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm

I think you have made a wise choice here. Kandui is right in the middle of the playgrounds region. When the swell is big the more epic breaks like Rifles work and when it is smaller there are still plenty of other breaks around that will pick up the swell. The only issue you have is that when the swell is small this is the area that all the boats come to as it picks up the most swell in the area. On the couple of boat trips I have been on we have been in this area for a few days and have seen the boat from Kandui come out. As I said the issue with this is by the time you get on a boat from the resort all the crews that are on boats staying next to the breaks are already in the water. So basically I would hope that there is a decent amount of swell for the time you are there as the crowds will drop and some of the most epic breaks are in that region. I wouldn't go to Macaronis land camp in the middle of peak season, there are only a couple of breaks close by and you will wake up to possibly 8 to 10 boats sitting on the break each morning. Enjoy the trip, I am just buzzing thinking about it.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:25 pm

^^^ Yep, Curly's points are on the money

20 days is great. Means you should score at least 2 swells, probably 3 and maybe 4 if you get lucky. Much more choice of waves and flexibilty with swell size, direction and winds . Way better choice than Maccas IMO as well.
The Kandui website provides a good breakdown on all the local wave options.
One thing of note is how fickle some of the breaks are, even when the swell and winds are from the right direction, (especially Rifles - that place hardly ever breaks!). Other spots such as NiPussy and 4 Bobs are the 'bread and butter' waves of the area. They work a lot of the time and are surfable in less than perfect conditions.
If you get Bankvaults or Rifles working on a decent swell you won't be riding a mal that's for sure, although there are a few mal friendly waves in the area.

My only regret after a couple of trips was not staying long enough each time. Surf fitness is also critical so you can 'hit the ground running' and make the most of it.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Ken Oath
Grommet

Post by Ken Oath » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:45 pm

A bit late in reply but you will have fun up there Kandui's , its run by good guys. Wavepark is a good place to stay and great host Cristie.
I stayed at Macca's resort early 2009 and had a ball with a girlfriend, nice little beginners wave for chicks across from the resort, good staff, food and rooms... Scored mates rates through Mark the owner.... had great waves and low crowds,no Brazo's at the camp then and headed up to Lances for a few days on the boat too but enjoyed the resort more.
True always a risk of tsunami's on land but that's fate. I'll be back there in May before the crowds kick in.
Have fun!
Surf'Sup Bali