Summer Lovin...boards for mush

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brenno05
Local

Summer Lovin...boards for mush

Post by brenno05 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:05 pm

In the market for a new small wave board....performance and easy of use on the usual summer sydney gutless beachy is what im after from 1-3ft
currently riding a HS joistik, but looking at a few other options namley JS Nitro and a Al merrick Pod

http://joelparko.com/freestyling/little ... come-back/

anyone ridden either of these boards??? or other suggestions

cheers
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

mical
barnacle

Re: Summer Lovin...boards for mush

Post by mical » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

You've been wondering about this since July Brenno :shock:
brenno05 Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:57 pm wrote:i was looking at one of these or possibly even the pod? (any feedback)

would like to know also if anyone has ridden the JS nitro or sonic models...

looking for a good fun small wave board which maintains some performance aswell, dont know if i will pay the $$ for a merrick, am probably still leaning towards my shaper but wanted to pick up somthing quickly before next week
My suggestion is still the same as it was to Jet01 in the other thread.

I'd go see a shaper and tell him what you're after before buying a Merrick . . . or anything off the rack.

Maybe test drive a Pod and the JS to gather some info on what you like/dislike, but I'd then take that info to a shaper and make it work for me and the way/waves I surf.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 am

I didn't end up getting a Biscuit or Fishcuit in the end. Went down the firewire path instead, and then wound up getting a Webber Mini Fish. I love trying new boards.
I've been surfing a 6'2 Firewire Dominator recently and i really like it. Has 5 fin plugs so you can have a play around with the fins. I took all the wax off it the other day and am really impressed with the state of the deck, i've got 1 heal compression and i've been surfing it very almost exclusively since August.

I noticed a Psillakis Squid the other day, looks pretty cool, and nowhere near as overpriced as what you'll fork out for a merrick.

Jackson surfboards near Cronulla does some nice looking biscuits and pod looking boards. Heard nothing but good things about their boards.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:07 pm

Had a good look over a biscuit the other day...rails seems waaay to boxy/bulky for me.

Im thinking of hittin up the pridmore for a 5'8"/20.5"/2.5" stubby nose, wide point well up the board thruster joby. fuck knows if it will work but I reckon it would be fun.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 am

I had a look at the JS Sonic yesterday, a seriously nice looking board, but over here at least, a price to match it as well. :cry:

A little apple and oranges, but it seemed a more suitable grovel/fun option for the average Jo then the JS Nitro IMO.

J-P

Post by J-P » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Got my summer board the other week. 5'9" x 20 1/4" x 2 5/8"
Goes vertical easily and still paddles really well for it's size. Love it! :mrgreen:

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 pm

how about the lost rocket? looks like a simillar design to a pod or biscuit
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

silvynn
Grommet

Post by silvynn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:48 pm

I put the general feelers out about a board on ebay (http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 94#p366894). I ended up buying it, cause I figured, for $300 you can't really complain. Tossed up the whole buying Chinese pop-out vs supporting Aussie made (struggling shapers etc), but in the end given it's a board that only gets wet when it's shithouse, why would you spend $800 on a designer fish?

So, the verdict: a $300 chinese made pop-out super fat fish? Goes unreal! I love it! Have only ridden it twice so far, in 2-3 ft NE mushy waves then in 1-2 ft clean dawnie beachbreak this morning. Floats like a boat, loose as, I wouldn't take it out when it's 6 ft, but for summer it's the goods. Yep, $300 well spent.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:21 pm

glad you like your purchase but some customs out there are only $499, all Aussie too..... 8)

climbo
Grommet

Post by climbo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 pm

J-P wrote:Got my summer board the other week. 5'9" x 20 1/4" x 2 5/8"
Goes vertical easily and still paddles really well for it's size. Love it! :mrgreen:

I like the look of this one, PD was my first ever thruster.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am

I purchased a new Simon Anderson Mollusc yesterday. I wasn't looking to get a board like this but got it at such a hot price brand new I thought Id get it and I could always ebay it and get my money back if I didn'tlike it.

The board is 5'9 x 19 3/8 x 2 1/4 round tail; v my normal dimensions of 6'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4.

I wasn't sure about the board before I surfed it for the following reasons:

- The width (in general I don't like the fishy thing in a board). In particular the wider nose was something I wasn't sure about. Was the board going to hesitate when going more vert or when being pushed in the pocket?
- The added thickness in the tail and nose relative to what I normally ride (I thought it may be a bit boaty).

I guess the round tail helped sell me on the board, as if it was a swallow there is no way I would have got it. The round tail would assist rail to rail and when going more verticle, as well as making the board a bit more versatile.

Anyway I took the thing for a spin last night in mushy, crap 2 ft slop and the board impressed me way beyond the average expectations I had before I surfed it.

Here is a bit of a run down on the board after a few waves on it:

- Paddles easy into waves due to the width up front and flatter entry rocker.

- Generated speed easily again thanks to the lower rocker profile and width in the forward plan shape.

- Was up and running straight out of the gates off the lower forward rocker profile.

- Carved nice mid range arcs off the curvy back end. In fact I was amazed how easily the board whiped into a smooth arc once laid on he rail, even with limited speed. It went from rail to rail with ease.

- The lovely soft rail profile (typical of Simon) meant that it was close to impossible for this board to catch a rail (which can often be an issue with fishier boards where the rails are not relevant to the board). The board was very user friendly on the rail and it was certaily a very easy board to surf.

- Thanks to the mid rocker curve running through the back end and the round tail combo, the board didn't hesitate when being pushed more vertical at the lip. The transition from bottom turn to vertical attack was very quick for this type of board . This was a big plus for this board relative to other small wave/ fishier boards I have surfed. A flatter rocker profile in the back end would have limited what this baby could do.

Overall a very user friendly board that would suit all levels of surfer. While a bit fishier in look, esp at the front end, the board certaily was still performance orientated. Lots of fun and a great board for carving in slightly fatter surf, but will also handle the more pockety stuff.

So far the board is a keeper and I look forward to having more fun on it. While I will stick to my standard shorty most of the time, I will pull the Mollusc out from time to time when conditions permit. Due to the fact that the board was so easy to surf and required less effort than my standard, I would say riding this board too frequently could have a negative impact when returning to a standard shorty. This type of board could just make you a little more lazy and give one a false sense that they are ripping. For this type of board Im sold on a round tail as opposed to swallow. The round tail just seemed to open up more doors as to what this baby could do and where it could go.

steppo

Post by steppo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

...check out Lost Enterprises version of the Al Merrick Dumpster Diver.

I don't surf anywhere enough anymore to be jumping on and off different shapes so I wanted a small wave board (easy paddler, flys across flat section, more speed, etc) that still surfed like my normal shortboard.

I got mine at Dripping Wet in Bondi, you can check them out on their website http://www.dripwetsurf.com, I'm frothing on it!!!

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:43 pm

My new board for mush by Mark, being glassed as we speak:

The Critter - 5'7" x 20 3/4" x 2 3/4" Flat deck, single concave, med-boxy rails, very flat rocker with a little nose flip, 3 plug twinny pulled back a touch, including rear quad plugs put in the Fat-Bat placement for the quad options as well. Really excited to get my hands on this one, I don't have a board for mush anymore.

This board was the product of a looooong long internet discussion with Mark. I presented the idea of a board that has the 3 plug twinny as well as quad plugs, that would be designed to go like a rocket in mush, paddle well, but still be able to be surfed pretty hard.

Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok Ive tested another board over the past week, great small wave / beachie board, however this is still very much a performance board suited to a surfer who wants to do more than just trim.

5'11 x 18 3/8 x 2 1/4
Squash tail, Thruster
Flatter entry rocker, with mid tail rocker
Mid rails with soft tuck to hard in tail
Single to double concave
Shaper: Nick Blair

This is the same board Nick has been shaping for Dean Morrison for typical Aussie Beach Break conditions.
Nick is very much an up and coming shaper and has worked closely with the likes of Jordy Smith, Mick Fanning and Deano. His shapes caught my eye as they just looked the goods.

I rode the board in 2 - 4 ft average beach conditions.

The board was super fast straight out of the gates thanks to the flatter foward rocker profile.
I knew this was a good board very quickly. It just had that 'magic carpet' glide that you get when the blend of rocker and concave is spot on. This is the same feeling I got when I first stepped on Simon's XFC curve (kinda like yer first root, you never forget it).

The drive and speed of this baby was obvious from the first wave. It was as fast, and faster than many of the quads I have ridden.

Even though the forward rocker profile was flat, the well placed mid back end curve meant that this baby did not resist being whipped quickly to vert, and the transition from bottom turn to top turn happend with ease.

The lovely soft rail tuck, and mid boxy rail profile made this board very user friendly on the rail.

Im loving this board. It's one of those boards that just works for me. When I ride it Im not thinking of the board, just my surfing as the board is just doing what I want it to. That's the sign of a great board to me.

While this is a high performance board designed for a pro, I found that the high performance aspects were balanced with a very user friendly touch to the board. To me this is a pro design that can still be surfed by an average surfer thanks to the lower rocker and softer rail.

The board was glassed standard, but was shaped out of a super light blank.

I can see why Nick Blair has pros now lining up for his boards. He is a shaper to watch.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:57 am

Natho wrote:Ok Ive tested another board over the past week, great small wave / beachie board, however this is still very much a performance board suited to a surfer who wants to do more than just trim.

5'11 x 18 3/8 x 2 1/4
Squash tail, Thruster
Flatter entry rocker, with mid tail rocker
Mid rails with soft tuck to hard in tail
Single to double concave
Shaper: Nick Blair
I'd love to be able to surf a board like that in mush, but my skill level and weight of 87kg are significant barriers you could say...

What are the secrets of surfing technique that allow you to surf such a small board (by mine and the average punters standards) in small and mushy waves?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 pm

I have kids to feed and bills to pay so I compete for business sometimes, is that ok by you ???

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm

dinosaur wrote:So do the chinese.

If thats your sole purpose for making surfboards maybe your in the wrong game.

Do you honestly think the true value of your surfboards is only $500?

Doesn't say much for the quality of the product if the craftsman values his own work that much lower than the market
Always playing devils advocate and trying to stir people up eh...take up boxing instead!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 pm

dinosaur wrote:Doesn't say much for the quality of the product if the craftsman values his own work that much lower than the market
If Mark believes he puts outs a quality product and he is making enough money to live off his passion and yet still sell his product at a very reasonable price then that's a big thumbs up to Mark if you ask me.

And I can attest to the fact that Mark puts out a top quality product after listening to his customers in great detail and shaping them a board that they want, not what "the market" wants.

Any clown can mass produce "market" driven products and flog them off at over inflated "market" prices to the "market" masses. One just has to go to "market" surf shops to see this in full fight.