Rubbering up in March?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

MinusNothing

Rubbering up in March?

Post by MinusNothing » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:52 am

Hey all,

I enjoy surfing with my bits out in France in summer (as does the wife) - it's legal here. But when Autumn rolls around (September-ish) I put on my 3mm steamer.

In March what are the water temperature between Brisbane and Sydney? Will I need to bring my wettie?

Myself and the missus are coming down under for 6 weeks next year (March) from Ireland. We've done snowboard seasons in NZ, USA and Europe and now want to explore Oz. We've done most of our surfing in SW France, Ireland and the UK, I've done a bit in Cali.
I have some questions regarding surfing and life generally down there and we would appreciate any help.

And if you guys have any Q's about Europe holler me.

M+C

JET01
barnacle

Re: Rubbering up in March?

Post by JET01 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:51 pm

22degrees in sydney around that time i'm pretty sure... and warmer as you go north.

I didn't put my steamer on until june this year in sydney...
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Bluebottles :shock: :shock:

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:17 pm

My mate used to have a rule that he would not wear a jumper north of Byron! Ever!
You wont need a wetty apart from a vest on most occasions.
QLD and Nth NSW are very warm in March , up to 23 or 24 degrees.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:31 pm

:?:
:idea:
I'm going to the pub for lunch ...
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:00 pm

dinosaur wrote:Post some nude pics of your wife please.

Then When im sure you are not a troll I will answer your query.
Agree , but sores it's a Troll without a doubt.

Pity. :twisted:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Theres a good beach around from watson's bay on south head if you want to sun your sausage :P
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Dude you are coming to one of the world's great surf zones. Maybe 15,000 ks of surfable coastline, over 100 years of active surfing history, and undoubtedly the best average surfer skill level on the planet. Australians are basically friendly surfers with a simple enough water-ethic code that's easy to understand and rarely enforced with more than a "hey mate! don't drop in." Many surf spots are authentic classics with many years of wave-riding under the belts of the local crew and third or fourth generation surfers in the water, but there's heaps of other spots in between of good quality and you'll rarely find it necessary to ride with crowds (you might choose to of course at the gold star spots). Plenty of waves right on the road and plenty off road too. March/April is the best time to surf almost any part of the nation's coast, particularly the east coast between Sydney and Noosa. You can expect water temps between 21-24 degrees c and air temps anywhere from 22-40, with most days winding out around 26.

have fun!

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 pm

In March I usually surf in a short john (tube suit), boardies with a long sleave wettie or boardies with a vest (Sydney). Many people will be surfing in just boardies or boardies and a rash vest.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Dude you are coming to one of the world's great surf zones. Maybe 15,000 ks of surfable coastline, over 100 years of active surfing history, and undoubtedly the best average surfer skill level on the planet. Australians are basically friendly surfers with a simple enough water-ethic code that's easy to understand and rarely enforced with more than a "hey mate! don't drop in." Many surf spots are authentic classics with many years of wave-riding under the belts of the local crew and third or fourth generation surfers in the water, but there's heaps of other spots in between of good quality and you'll rarely find it necessary to ride with crowds (you might choose to of course at the gold star spots). Plenty of waves right on the road and plenty off road too. March/April is the best time to surf almost any part of the nation's coast, particularly the east coast between Sydney and Noosa. You can expect water temps between 21-24 degrees c and air temps anywhere from 22-40, with most days winding out around 26.

have fun!
jeez mate.... you actually answered the original question... that's unAustralian in itself.....

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 am

Animal_Chin wrote:jeez mate.... you actually answered the original question... that's unAustralian in itself.....
I was feeling generous :lol:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:11 am

if the guy is really from Ireland i dont think there'll be too much of a problem with water temps right?

a steamer will probably boil him to death in March

MinusNothing

Post by MinusNothing » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Some sick answers up there cheers for all of them.

The comment regarding best average surfer skill level is interesting, because I could say the same about Ireland having the best average rugby player level!!!
:wink:

The only photos I can find of my wife are ones where she's using a strap-on on her girlfriend and she won't let me post those, so you'll all have to wait...

And indeed I live in Northern England right now. My local break Scarborough; sea is currently 11 deg C. Air temp 10 deg C, rainy and cold wind!
5mm suit, gloves and 7mm boots. Hood will be coming out in about a month...
I just jump in the camper straight away, make a Bacon Buttie and put the kettle on, then down the boozer, all good.

Whenever I surf France it's like taking a warm bath so Oz will be like jumping in Satans hot-tub no doubt.

Watch out for us 2 pale nekkid leprechauns on your beaches next March!!!

Serious though, thanks for the replies, good to know the surfer family is alive and kicking.
We're looking forward to being good ambassadors of Europe in the sea Down Under...