Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:40 am

Pleasant surprise this morning.
Clean offshores, smooth surface and nice little 2 footers.
A bit full but the first waves I've had in 3 weeks.
Beeeoootiful! :lol:

And if I read it right, Iggy might be getting a few up Sunshine way. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am

Gunnamatta

Swell was around 2 foot with the odd three footer. Found a nice bank that was holding up some nice right handers, not too many out so I could be a total wave slut :)

About an hour into it a big fog cloud starting rolling in from Bass Strait, it was pretty cool watching it first hit Cape Schank then bend up and over the cliffs before it rolled into the lineup. It was really thick too, could barely see for more than 50 metres and it got really still and glassy as we were engulfed by this big grey blanket. Really, really surreal being out there.

Made it pretty hard to pick the waves amongst the gloom although they were pretty forgiving so doing the odd late take-off wasn't too hard.

Awesome way to start my week long holidays
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:01 pm

I got some absolutely smokin 4ft bombs SOB yesterday. Was super surprised to see that much size in the water that's for sure. It appeared to be more of the E/SE groundswell with the S'ly groundswell making an appearance as well. Couldn't believe how well the beachie banks were handling the long period groundswells, but perhaps the two coincident swells helped with some lovely peak creation.

Had a 3hr session and got absolutely roasted in the sun....summer is here!!! Clean and glassy conditions for most of the morning and one of my mates got the wave of the day just before coping a 20 wave set (no bullshit) on the head and gettign caught inside massively.

Just one of those top mornings that you wish for more of!!!

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Was that at georges spot don?
Was thinking of heading down for an early but had some work come in last minute so bailed it.
Shouldve bailed the job instead by the sounds of it

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Nah Gibber, you know me, I hate crowds. I was a little further south, just past a booga reef.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:29 am

I was actually thinking of a basalt outcrop

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:40 am

Stop talking in circles you two. :lol:

Nothing today. :twisted:
Not breaking at my (local) point.
Actually more swell at Happy Valley but the bank is a straight line from KBG south to the deepwater entrance to the Passage.
So - closeout city.
Back to bed. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 am

The usual spot yesterday. Actually swerved it in the morning due to a really low tide exposing the reef and a hoeling offshore, surfed the late but it was still a lazy 2 foot, offshore but at least there was water covering the reef.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

Gunnamatta again

Swell looked to be about 4 to 5 foot but I went early against my better judgement when it was only an hour after low tide. After scanning for ages to find a bank I head out where a local kneelo is catching a couple.

Bad idea

Swell was pushing 5 to 6 when I was out there and it was rippy as fcuk. As a result the swell was all over the place and being shallow it reared up and dumped too much. After copping a couple of beatings and then getting swept out about 100 metres from the shore, before being swept down in the current a further 100 metres or so from where I was trying to catch them, I gave up and went in.

A few other guys tried there luck but most went the same way as I did, probably will be better right about now but won't get another chance today :?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Not the best surf on the northern beaches on Sunday morning ... :idea: but an extremely pleasent experience .... :arrow:

stood on top of a hill above one of the only spots picking up the swell at 5.30am to see a fair size pod of very playful dolphins ... the surf was ordinary at best, the sunrise was great, the dolphins were jumping about and picking of the odd set wave so I figured I'd head out for a paddle seeing I'd gone to the effort of getting up and heading down ... although making a regular appearence normally the dolphins cruise by this particular spot and don't hang around long ... but yesterday morning I paddled out to a peak on my own to pick off some 2.5 foot dribblers and much to my enjoyment had some company close by for a solid hour .... normally the pods of dolphins I see on the NB's are a mixture of older through to younger, and sometimes babies ... but this pod were all fully grown size but all seemed young as there skin looked very clean and of a more vibrant colour and none of them from what I could see had any scars or nicks out of their fins ... plus they were very active the whole time and looked like they were playing with each other much like when dogs play-fight ... needless to say I was more than happy sharing that surf yesterday morning ... :idea:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:06 pm

my best dolphin surf ever was at dreamtime

smallish pod catchin some early morning clean ones, just my mate and me out.

i'm glad i knew they were there, as I was bobbing in about 8ft of water when a stray one was heading straight for me, caught sight before it kinda freaked out and dove straight under my board.

like I said, i'm glad I knew it was a dolphin.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Not sure what's happened to my computer but I've just noticed I've suddenly become able to see the whole of posted pics - not getting one quarter cut off on the RHS any more.
Some of you may remember discussing this a while back.
At the time, nothing I tried would give me the whole pic. Now it's happened all by itself.
Wonder if Don changed something - or one of those microsoft updates did something for a change.
Beanpole

Skipper

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:48 pm

that's the one thing i don't miss about Gunnamatta hatchman... the paddling associated with Mornington Peninsula waves.

did you end up getting a powerglide?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

nowhere, got up at 5 and it was bloody howling wind, :evil: :evil: :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:46 pm

diggerdickson wrote:nowhere, got up at 5 and it was bloody howling wind, :evil: :evil: :evil:
It howled all night Digger.
SE Qld waters report said winds lighter SW/S inshore early. 8)
FAIL :twisted:
Beanpole

Skipper

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 am

Got down into it a bit more today

Start at 1 or 2 min

kinda surprised it's all of a 9 second ride Daz surfing 1109

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 am

Daryl, that's your best post ever.

No muckin' around, straight into one.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 pm

Gunnamatta

Small but glassy, waves were about 1 metre high or 1 foot on iggys scale.

Not too bad