What board size are you?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

silvafish
Grommet

Re: What board size are you?

Post by silvafish » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:53 pm

most were 2nd handies,ron woodwood via hodgie snr after he one a surfmore connie,omerod hand me down from dirk,they forgot the hardner when they glassed it,a bruce lee reject from muzza,that was pinched,a shady deal on a webber that was also ripped,prob karma there.richard wood swapped for some buddah,a banana from dirk,he blew up and bagged everyones herring thingee,shaped one to show everyone the real deal,i snivelled that, turned my lennox mate onto it ,borrowed for a surf refused to give it back his still got it.a garrett six chanell someone left in the factory for dings,hay it was sitting there for a month had 4/5 killer sessions on it then got destroyed after a bad jump off at burleigh,guess how turned up at the phantoms the next day

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:01 am

anyone else really enjoy getting on a board with lots of volume ? I been riding the A-Bat and it is so easy to catch waves and get around- volume is great- just got to disperse it right.... 8)

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm

5'11
79-82kgs
started at 15, had a 5 year spell in late 20s when i lost it a bit.
Regular as I can again, although summer in Perth is hard...

6'2 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 single to double squash tail by Sam Egan (small waves, rode it last 2 weeks on my trip east and went great on the points of north NSW as well)
6'2 x 18 1/2 x 2/ 3/8 single concave round tail Sam Egan Resin8 (small clean waves, eg those small days down south or small Indo)
6'5 x 18/12 x 2 5/16 slight single to slight double through the fins, round tail by Sam Egan (Indo and south)
6'8 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 slight single to slight double semi gun rounded pin by Sam Egan. (Indo and South)

All with some decent volume through the chest to allow for ease of paddling and so on, especially when wearing a steamer and the added weight that comes with that.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:35 am

Hi i'm Jet and i'm a board-a-holic :oops:

28 in 10 days, 5'10 and 80-83kgs
Been surfing since 2.5 years and still suck. I have way too many boards for my skill level.
Need heaps of volume in my board as i've got 3 bad discs in my lower back.

9'0 Modern Longboard 9x 22 3/4 x 3 Single Beaver Tail fin with GL sides (or as a quad)
M7 front and GL (really fast)
7'0 Miller Powerglide 7 x 22 1/8 x 2 7/8 M5 or M7s :!: PM IF INTERESTED :!:
6'8 Miller Waterskate 6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 FG7
6'7 PCC Custom 6'7 x 20 1/2 x 2 3/4 FG3 FOR SALE :!: $350 PM IF INTERESTED :!:
6'5 Stretch Fletcher F4 6'5 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 SF4
6'2 M10 Hog fish 6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 FT1
6'2 Firewire Dominator 6'2 x 20 3/4 x 2 5/8 MR TFX / FG7 / SF4
6'0 Webber mini fish 6'0 x 21 x 3 1/4 Webber twin fins

Looking at turning the 6'5 and 6'7 into a 6'4 x 19.75-20 x 2.625 V-skate or Quadfather for when it gets around head high to just over head. Probably don't need it, but you know how it is :lol:
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:52 am

5'9'' x 80kg ( just lost 10 ). 29, been surfing 4 years regularly. Intermediate. I really like foam....

6'2'' x 22 x 3 keel fish homemade. For 2 years this was my magic board. Came down from a 7'6'' minimal to this. Paddled the same, caught the same waves just as easy, turned better.

6'3'' x 20.5 x 2 7/8 twinny homemade.Probox hawaii aipa twins in it. Feels wrong, the front of the board wants to lift all the time. Im guessing its my crap skill. Have had some sweet waves on it, but not many. On a good hollow wave turns awesome. Hard to be consistent on

7'10'' x 22 x 3. Kind of like a nugget. Trims great from up front, but is best surfed as a thruster, off the back foot. Its now my main ride, and it has stuffed me up for surfing the fish. WHen i surf the fish now i seem ot try to surf from the back, which doesnt work with the fish at all. Interestingly though, this board can turn tighter than the fish, especially with the thruster setup. Its got me keen for something closer to a shortboard.

Next board, either a longer wder thicker shortboard.hybrid, maybe 6'10'' x 20.5 x 2 3/4, or a modern fish, maybe 6'6''. Wouldnt mind a nugget, but funds dont allow. Probably have to make next one.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am

while we're updating ...

I have a 6'5" rounded pin now ... this one was originally designed for smaller regular northern beaches surf ... the first thing I found when I initially got it in the what was that it was quick and nimble ... the tail and concave is designed to provide momentum in sluggish surf which is why it is fast ... in the forward half the volume, rocker and rails are set up also to provide momentum ... but when I first got it I found that turns on fat sections a bit tricky as their was a bit of bite, like the recovery from a forehand cutback or turns on sluggish waves was like hitting a speed bump ... it took a few weeks to work this out which was pretty simple really by just avoiding leaning into the turn too much and keeping more weight on the tail ... using my beloved G4's works great with this board but recently in Fiji I put in a set of high end glass / core that are quite rakey with only a little flex at the tips and it handled 6'+ heavy reef breaks easily and had heaps of speed ... there were only a few times on the freak sets where I felt a little undergunned on the first couple of turns but although taking another more specific board I was delighted with how the new one went in those conditions ... all in all a most excellent outcome with this latest one ... :D

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 am

Carrying a bit too much weight at the moment and waiting on a 7'4" powerglide to help me peel the layers off. Can't wait actually.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 am

My all-rounder is a 6'0" x 19 1/2" x 2 5/8" Quadfather at the moment. I like the wide but short type of board. Stability and maneuverability, combined with all the great things that you get from a round-tail quad :)

It goes great in everything getting near double overhead. I'm in the process of saving up for another MP quad specifically for waves double overhead and above, can't wait. It looks like it'll be something like 6'5" x 19" x 2 5/8", round-tail with a bit more rocker and a bit less concave than a Quadfather.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am

5'7, 73 kg

Normal Sydney boards:

5'10 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 Haydenshapes Joystick (for small waves).

6'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/16 Simon Anderson XFC rocker, single to very slight double, squash tail, lovely soft rails. This is my magic all rounder. One of the best boards ever. I will die old with this baby.

I also have a rounded pin version of the exact same board for slightly better waves. Hardly ridden yet but taking her to Snapper for the week to put her through her paces.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:44 am

Natho wrote: Hardly ridden yet but taking her to Snapper for the week to put her through her paces.
What week would that be ?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 am

I'm 36yrs, 5'10, 76kgs and been surfing for 22yrs.

3 main boards:

6'1 x 19 x 2 7/16 round tail Island Surf (Greg Hogan) quad with SA4 Futures
6'3 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 rounded square Simon Anderson with FCS PC5's
6'0 x 20 x ? Island Surf (Glyndon Ringrose) quad - based on the Merrick fishcuit
Last edited by mical on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:27 pm

That would be next week Steve for the Goldy.
People rave about going to Bali and the like but I gotta say we have one of the best waves on the planet right here. Snapper on it's day is hard to beat.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:33 pm

good luck with that..it will have a million kids and kooks on it and mre than likely be northerly, ( although I hear there is a south swell coming any day now ??? ) it may be an ok wave but it is also a farrkin circus......most of the time....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

you'll get waves early in the week, then northerlies as Mark pointed.

The bank is a far cry from the halcyon days but improving.

I'm going to QLD myself, mostly to escape the accursed Daylight Fcuking Savings.
although I expect to score filthy surf as well.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Yeh you don't go to Snapper without expecting a super crowd and a million kooks...just like you don't go to Bali without expecting the same., and Im not expecting classic snapper. The bank is certainly not classic at the moment but it beats the hell out of Sydney. But no matter what you can always get waves at Snapper/ D bah crowded or not.

It's the wise old words of Mick Fanning that halped me make my decision to head up to the Goldy and join the crowds.

"Come to the Goldy for sick pits and filthy chicks".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:50 pm

hottest chics in Oz for sure...so who cares if its howling from the north....... :roll: 8)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Well Mrs Natho will be coming too and its not just a surf trip so to be honest I could't give too much of a frk either way.

Gotta say some of the best surfs ever have been at Snapper so I hold it very highly on my list of best waves. Mind you that was back when it was 'classic' Snapper., and its a far cry from that right now.

My big issue with the Goldy is that I always leave with extra boards and the Mrs gets p!ssed off with that. I like to visit a few shapers I know up there and it's rude to leave them without taking a board or two back. At least that's what I tell the Mrs even though Ive got some boards already lined up which a ready to be picked up. Sweet.
That's why you take your Mrs, so you can get those extra boards back on the plane. She thinks she is going for a nice holiday trip.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Natho wrote:Well Mrs Natho will be coming too and its not just a surf trip so to be honest I could't give too much of a frk either way.

Gotta say some of the best surfs ever have been at Snapper so I hold it very highly on my list of best waves. Mind you that was back when it was 'classic' Snapper., and its a far cry from that right now.

My big issue with the Goldy is that I always leave with extra boards and the Mrs gets p!ssed off with that. I like to visit a few shapers I know up there and it's rude to leave them without taking a board or two back. At least that's what I tell the Mrs even though Ive got some boards already lined up which a ready to be picked up. Sweet.
That's why you take your Mrs, so you can get those extra boards back on the plane. She thinks she is going for a nice holiday trip.
Where R U from, like heaven or somewhere :?: