Is it the board the fins or the operator?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Is it the board the fins or the operator?

Post by JET01 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:08 am

Had a nice session today on a wave down south this morning...
Nice sunny day, got a couple of nice headhigh waves, layed down some nice turns. Got pumped a couple of times too which is always good for the soul.
Took 3 boards down this morning: Stretch Quad, Hogfish, and Webber Twinnie...
6'2 M10 Hogfish got the chocolates today....

The Hogfish went so well in the head high take offs. Out of all my boards i feel the most confident on this one, it feels more stable than my 9'0! This frustrates me a little because I recently bought a 6'2 Firewire Dominator which i ride as a quad. It just doesn't seem to go anywhere near aswell as the Hogfish. Both boards are similar dimensions and volume, but for some reason, the M10 just seems to go way better.
I have an SF4 set on the dominator and the M10 has FT1(512) futures on it with the trailer in.
The dominator has a big round tail and i'm not sure whether the SF4's are the right fins for the board even though that's what firewire suggest. Should i put something bigger in, like some M7's or even MR fins with M5's at the rear? I haven't ridden it as a thruster yet, but i'll give it a crack next surf.
Cant decide whether it's the big round tail or the fins that don't agree with the way i surf the dominator. I try and surf both boards the same way.

M10 6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2 Swallow tail, flyer, twin fin + trailer vol: 36
Dominator 6'2 x 20 3/4 x 2 5/8 Round tail, quad set up vol: 38
Me 5'10 x 83kg Round tail :wink:

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Is it the board the fins or the operator?

Post by pridmore » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:04 am

basic dims dont tell you enough...planshapes, rockers etc... make a massive difference and nobody could tell you accurately without knowing ( preferably seeing ) them....M7's or MR twins in a 6'2" seem a bit much if it is a quad but like I said cant tell from just the dims....dunno all the model names so if you can post pics, myself and others could surely give a few tips..... :| and also all the board swapping can sometimes make things quite complicated, it takes some getting used to the transition from shape to shape IMO... the more you do it, the less time adapting from my experience..I surf 2 boards per surf quite often to learn and feel what is doin what and sometimes it throw me alot but I enjoy the challenge of adapting and learning.....sometimes it is better to ride 1 board for half a dozen surfs in a row, then swap to another and do the same, think it gives you better understanding of what is doin what....pics of the boards together with fins would be helpful.... 8)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Is it the board the fins or the operator?

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:32 am

No wonder theres no room for the missus, kids and the dog :roll: :roll:

You guys need some waterproof grid paper so you can draw diagrams of the prospective angles of trajectory while you punch your stats into your waterproof laptop. At least your out of the surf while your changing chariots.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?