Boards snapped in half...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

old grom
Grommet

Boards snapped in half...

Post by old grom » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:25 pm

What to do? Two questions:

1) I went for a walk to check out the surf @ my local vantage point - and what should be sticking out of the green council wheelie bin but a bourton 6'4" x 20 x2 3/8 HPR. On further inspection it had been snapped 30 cm down from the nose glass on the top side intact, and binned (fins removed). Looks like a pretty new board.

Now pls no laughter - I took it home (recycling?) it sat on my board rack for a while then one day when bored I "liquid nailed it" - sad but true - the thing has stayed solid - took it out and surfs OK, but not sealed. Should I attempt to fibre glass around it, or fill crack with resin? any thoughts? One man's trash - anothers treasure :)

2) Not sure what is is about bourtons - but I now have two snapped ones...My brother brought and off the shelf board 2 months ago. After about 5 weeks he snapped it in 4 ft close out beach break. Shit happens - looking at it I reckon these glass jobs are way to thin. Anyway its in half with the glass on the top side intact. A ding repair shop (Factory @ Moffat) quoted $200 to fix it, they said that after fixing it will never break again in the same spot - but as this will be "extra strong" may break somewhere else?

Do you repair snapped boards or is this not worth it?

I want to fix up my "found" Bourton - and give it to my Bro who after blowing his cash - is now riding a 6'2 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/4 toothpick and suffering - he is broke at present...

Cheers OG

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Boards snapped in half...

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:50 pm

I would fix it best you can yourself, then do a spray over the top to make it look a bit better, then surf it...if it snaps again, well you didnt pay anything for it so , no loss there...plus you will learn a bit about repairing boards....shame about your bro's board snapping...

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks MP you inspired me to give it a go - have now glassed over the break - about a 10 cm band 80% around the board. Looks solid - plan to let it cure then sand it back - Then spray (good tip). Feels real solid so touch wood it will hold and the extra weight will not matter. Cheers OG

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:12 pm

IMHO those HPR's are great boards. Before I got my Fatbat off Mark, that was my daily driver. Best thruster I've ever owned, great paddler but still loose.

You've done well...Good score I reckon!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:01 pm

your originl blue Fat-Bat ended up in England and had a hol in the Channell Islands and was surfed by 2 locals there...they recently contacted me for 2 customs and I shaped them today...the shipping fees are crazy but they are willing to pay so all good....interesting where some boards end up I reckon.... 8)

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:27 pm

When you fix snaps make sure you do a diamond shape with the new fibreglass. Don't just put the cloth on "In a band" as you put it. 2 Different sized diamonds on each side (4 in total) works best. Ive put hundreds of them together. :arrow:

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 pm

I reckon it was in the bin coz its a fricken ugly shape, not coz it was snapped.

Muzz is a great shaper but frk he does some ugly stuff as well. Ever seen one of those bat quad things he used to do? I guess there are punters who buy em.

It was free I guess :lol:

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

I wish I had read Emp's 'diamond shape' method post before my 'Fibreglass butchery'. I did a thick band, two layers of cloth - lots of resin. Thought I would let it dry - it would be real strong - and I would sand it back as required. One hour of sanding later - I realised that I went way overboard. I am to shamed to post a picture :oops: . On a positive - it is real strong - and it wont snap in this stop again :D . Anyway - given it to my brother who is amped to be off his matchstick to try.

I am quite interested to see if the extra weight in front will effect his surfing. If it does then I am back sanding again. I enjoyed my first major repair and learned heaps working with the glass and resin (mainly how bloody hard it is...)

Now I have his HPR (yes same board just one size bigger- 6'6") to experiment with - but this is snapped right in half. Has anyone repaired this type of snap - I plan to glue together, let it cure, then use the 'diamond shape' method. If its a waste of time to do such a serious snap then yours thoughts are apperciated - Cheers OG.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am

No strength per se in resin OG, it's in the combination with fibreglass, in fact too much resin will make the glass float and be a sh*thouse bond.

Re the broken board, yes definitely worth an attempt. Alignment is the biggest issue and the most important so go through the motions before you actually proceed, know where and how it is all going to sit together whilst the resin cures.

You will no doubt have to remove splinters of wood and glass/foam fragments from the area so it goes back cleanly. Don’t be too concerned if it doesn’t sit perfectly, they rarely do, too much distortion happens before snapping.

Stick together with a combo of resin and q-cell. The board will still be fragile and perhaps a little emotional at this point :D so handle it with care until you get some glass on it. Sometimes they are easier to align standing up against a wall, other times Rich @ Pure lays them on a blank to get it straight and square and drizzles the resin in. Figuring you won't be able to do this but you could cobble some kind of a jig together (sheet of 3 mm MDF wedged into the rocker shape - just watch it doesn’t stick so lay some plastic down). You can use masking tape liberally to dam any areas, the resin won't stick to it.

Anywho, just glue it together first even if the break point has holes in it, you can back fill these later with more resin/q-cell.

Then proceed as EmP said, 2 healthy sized layers top and bottom so you can feather it in. Make sure you prep the area properly with very coarse sandpaper (40 grit) and NO remaining wax obviously. :wink:

dy_fo_life
regular

Post by dy_fo_life » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 am

I once considered running two dowels through a divided board..it was more at the thickest point than this damage.
Never bothered with it in the end as had other boards at the time.
I was intending to make the dowel holes a little bigger to give some tolerance when aligning. Q cell and resin in holes pull it all together with tape then glass when dry and clean up.
Any one tried something similar?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:07 pm

dy_fo_life wrote:I once considered running two dowels through a divided board..it was more at the thickest point than this damage.
Never bothered with it in the end as had other boards at the time.
I was intending to make the dowel holes a little bigger to give some tolerance when aligning. Q cell and resin in holes pull it all together with tape then glass when dry and clean up.
Any one tried something similar?
Yes, people have used chop sticks, timber dowels, aluminium, you name it... personally, just the glue and bandage should do as you are unlikely to every break the board in that spot ever again, it will however break where the bandages end... strong spot vs. weaker spot

It is also a reasonably light outcome, there are lighter, but we aren't going there... look up 'the board lady' if you want to get fancy.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:46 pm

pridmore wrote:your originl blue Fat-Bat ended up in England and had a hol in the Channell Islands and was surfed by 2 locals there...they recently contacted me for 2 customs and I shaped them today...the shipping fees are crazy but they are willing to pay so all good....interesting where some boards end up I reckon.... 8)
The Channell Islands??!!?? Woah, that's a fair way from TiTree haha
Weird thing is part of my Missus family is from that place...
natho wrote:I reckon it was in the bin coz its a fricken ugly shape, not coz it was snapped.
Natho, we can't all judge boards by Simon's, finely-tuned, hi-performance shapes. Not all of us surf at your level and require that type of equipment (as aesthetically pleasing as his boards may be).

That top pic looks like it's a warped mini-mal; very different to how it really looks. Regardless, the board gets you into waves early and is loose enough to throw around. I've even seen quite a few of the older crew at Noosa rip on under-6ft HPR's when the points are overhead. Rusty also has a 'Pirahna' model with a similar outline and it's one of his more popular models.

Old grom, keep us posted with how they surf once you've fixed them up. Great learning experience either way.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 pm

some people only want to ride 1 style of board and bag out anything else that isnt their choice of equipment, write it off and say it doesnt work well or looks ugly but alot of people enjoy riding these shapes and they do work well for some , maybe not for everyone but why would you bag them ? I like to see people riding all sorts of boards wethere I ride them or not, surfing is all about enjoying the feeling of riding a wave and as we are all supposed to be individuals, we should ride whatever gives us the most fun I think, whatever that may be...and not bag the others for their choice, we all have our opinions on boards but definitely no need to bag out something or some designs just because it isnt what you prefer to ride IMHO....look at he Meyerhoffer thingy, it is a different ( and some would say unattreactive lookin design :roll: ) but if thats what is giving you lots of fun when riding it, then ride it, but if you wanna surf high perf shorties and try to be on the tour then do that each to their own I say....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 am

Interesting comments Pridmore considering you were bagging another persons design on another post. The pot calling the kettle black?
Of course you won't like my comments as that is the type of board you would copy yourself and then try and plug via a thread. After all the free advertising and plugs you keep giving yourself on these forums, surely there is room for someone elses opinion?

My comments were half tongue in cheek. Nothing like reving you lot up. I have alot of respect for Muzz on a personal level and as a shaper. But yeh I do think the board looks kinda ugly in shape. Like those Fat Bat things you keep on plugging on these forums. That is only my opinion and like the saying goes 'everyone has got one'.
Nothing wrong with fishes and quad thingys, however there are a few of us on here who also like to ride a standard shorty, or who wish to improve our skill as surfers.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:06 am

yeah, I do give them a bit of a plug, why not ?
I knew you were revving me up...( maybe my post was to see how you would bite ? :roll: )
I said in the above post that I thought that other design was unattractive but if you like it, ride it..
( no pot or kettle of any colour there sorry )
I like other peoples opinions as long as they are not being too critical of others choices ( IMO )
Muzza makes some great boards, I agree
Riding a standard shorty and improving your skills is great
I ride a shorty alot of the time too
You and I would clash in person for sure but always interested in your views
its fine that you disagree with most things I say, used to that by now
my Fat-Bats may be ugly to you but I made them for function not fashion
Nick Carroll is riding his in Brazil ATM and enjoyin it and I am shaping him his 2nd Fat-Bat soon ( not an intentional plug, just facts )
You have a good day Natho... 8)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 am

Well these types of comments are good for the forums I think. Its good to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and keep these forums interesting. I must admit they have been getting rather boring of late. Its good to throw an opposed view in to get people thinking and break up the sheep herd.
I have no problems with people biting back at me. In fact I love it. If people don't like getting bitten from time to time then they shouldn't go public on these forums.
By the way you are all a bunch of total pussys so come on and bite.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:56 pm

I agree about the forums being boring of late, I even had a look on the other forums for some excitement but nuthin happening there either....The thread subjects have been lame and not much aggro either...where Bohdi and Ringmaster lately, c'mon we need some entertainment.... 8)

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:54 pm

pridmore wrote:I agree about the forums being boring of late, I even had a look on the other forums for some excitement but nuthin happening there either....The thread subjects have been lame and not much aggro either...where Bohdi and Ringmaster lately, c'mon we need some entertainment.... 8)
I am here still swinging but about to turn around in disgust and walk away. Ever been in a fight only to find after a couple of good shots the guy you were trying to kill is cowering with his back to you yelling enough, enough. Well thats where I am with Ringmaster, his whimpering and begging is making me despise him to the point of feeling sorry for him, well............almost.