the fat bat project survives horrid shark attack

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

i want ride the fat bat

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:54 pm

yes....pick me pick me
75%
i don't find kk that attractive
25%

Total votes: 20

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: the fat bat project survives horrid shark attack

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

cat in the hat rides fat bat ...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:54 pm

farrrkkin stoked to hear your feedback Steve , especially coz it is what I think too...not just because I made it but I genuinely really enjoy riding it, and the speed comment is soo true, if you get a wave that runs and runs on your frontside, just see how much speed you can get from the bat, I swear I have been faster on that board than ever before...the rocker has lots to do with it but the quads are qick too but the butterflies are quicker still and like you said, sometimes you dunno what to do with it all...found myself doing some super long floaters on it....awesome stuff SS, watch out for them Noahs mate especially when the water is so murky...... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 pm

keen to hear how she goes for you in the smaller beachy type waves.... :?:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey guys, seems nterest has faded in the MORE the merrier project so was wondering if anyone out there is keen on having it before I wrap it up ????

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 am

Hey Mark, Im going to take my Bat to the Mentawais in June and we will have Mat Smith with us so should get some decent shots. i'll get it under as many feet up there as I can.

One of the guys on the trip needs a new board as well.

Hes just on 100kgs but rips. Rides epoxy fatburners typically (6'8")

Was wondering if a Quadfather - Mentawai variant would be the best board for him? Again, we will get it under as many feet as possible up there. Might need one of Cain's sick paint jobs on this one to gain some attention.

Was going to take a Meyerhofer as well but concensus is this will be a shortboarding trip only and I will abide without complaint. Hey I don't want to be the wet blanket that says - lets go and surf that perfect 3 foot point when everyone else wants to go and get smashed on 6 foot reef closeouts :wink:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:21 am

The Quadfather could be an option for sure, need to chat to him to get more info so can recommend what is best especially for reef waves....Your bat should handle some waves over there but when it gets super hollow, it may get skatey so put a small tail fin in..( if you have the tail plugs ???, cant remember now, think you do...)....Keen to hear how it goes but I have sufed mine in some pretty big stuff but when it is really kegging, the tail fin makes a big difference, or the butterfly fins, they give more hold and drive....I would be stoked to talk to your mate who needs the board, maybe he can e-mail or call to discuss options.... 8)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:42 am

pridmore wrote:Hey guys, seems nterest has faded in the MORE the merrier project so was wondering if anyone out there is keen on having it before I wrap it up ????
Still keen to have it but no-one seems keen on getting it here. Bit sad that it made it all the way to New Caledonia and yet couldn't find its way to Southoz. :(

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:48 am

lets see if we can get it down ther then....can anyone help with transport from Goldy- Byron - Yamba to South Oz ??? I am more than happy to send it down Dug, just tricky getting it there....see what we can come up with hey ??? 8)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 am

I am out for at least another 5 weeks with a busted ankle, so that should give 'em plenty of time!! ;)

But seriously, happy to stand on the beach doing stills or vid for anyone here that wants to ride it. Just don't make me drive all the way to Yorkes using only my left foot... too many opportunities on a 3 hour drive for the boyz in blue to pull me over and ask why I am driving like a pissed idiot LOL.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:39 am

Steve Shearer still has the Abat and he quite likes it too. He has arranged his bro who rips to have a go on it soon but the conditions havent been suitable at all so waiting for things to settle down a bit then he is hoping to get some footage and I cant wait to see it, sure he will get some good stuff and post it here when he does.... I am taking the bat to Thailand with me in about 10 weeks time and when I get back I am starting a new project that I have got planned and I hope all of you guys will be involved again and I look forward to explaining this new idea to you all soon.....Once the injury is all healed Dug, I am happy to get it down there, just need to work out how to transport it down to SA....
Also Butts is keen to get it again for a while so it is good to see peole still want to ride the board :)

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am

If it made it back to Sydney again id like to have another go with it. Im sure there would be more people who didnt get a ride last time keen to take it out.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 pm

Got me younger bro down for an early this morn on the Bat.
He's a chef and keeps late hours so he was a bit groggy but we had fun.
Just a couple of working stiffs going surfing.
Lat two waves are ole muggins in a pair of king gees...and even though it looks like I dropped in on the last wave, old mate actually snaked me and then called me into it.
Anyway here is the vision. If you have a fast compy click on the little thing and it will go full screen.
http://www.vimeo.com/4409605
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Fri May 01, 2009 3:23 am

Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on the butterfly fins? I've been trying different combos of them on my fatbat(swapping the rear two for FCSs at times) and lovin it.I find I can stay higher on the face of a wave if needed and get plenty of drive from them on flat sections and cutbacks .I just received two smaller ones from Mark to use as rear fins for something different again.I also tried using two B/fs in front and a single FCS to make it a thruster.Again , all good.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri May 01, 2009 5:07 am

don't have anything else to compare it with but they feel bloody great to me.
Unique feeling: tons of bite and hold but very loose and pivotal. That tail section of the board feels really well anchored by 'em.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri May 01, 2009 7:38 am

Gee SS, you are pretty good at putting a little clip together mate, you must have done that a few times before...good work. Glad to see you have some fun with the bat and your bro....As for having nothing to compare it with, I really should have left a normal set of fins in the board bag for you but I was just so stoked on how well is was goin for me with the Butterflies that I left em in for you to enjoy...maybe if we catch up we can throw a standard set in it for a sesh.... Keen to know how your new fins are going Doug ? Are you happy with the size ? I would be very interested in any feedback you have coz I have a new design in the works that could be something special and plan on using the butterfly fins for sure....

anybody else keen for the Bat ? I know Butts wants it back so I am unsure wether to send it down or push on with my plans for a new project.... :?: 8)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Sat May 02, 2009 11:35 am

If you send it to Butts Mark I could get it off him and take it to the Ments in June. Matt from Crystal Blue will be with us, same guy that shot the south coast session. A couple of the volcom guys would be able to do it justice I am sure.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri May 08, 2009 7:10 pm

few pics from the Fish-Fry....Thats the Swaylocks travelling board with me and the Abat....Me, aan American Swalocks dude and some other bloke who reckons he will be shaper of the year . :roll: , and Cain Pridmore sussing out a fish

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat May 09, 2009 7:37 pm

pic taken by Jarrason Bitton...plenty more but the Footy is starting....might even be some footage from Mr. Shearer soon....