apology not accepted ...

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

apology not accepted ...

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm

apology fail … surfin turf completely loses sh!t …

another harangue by surfin turf …

by now it probably seems like I am only ever angry in the surf but those who know me can attest that I have many, many fun surfs, happily sharing waves with a bunch of blokes who act like human beings … it’s just that when “certain things” happen I like to share the experience … (or vent if you prefer …) :idea:

there will be people who “get this” and people who don’t so I need to set the scene first so you can get a feel for my modus operandi …

it’s no secret the conditions early this morning were extremely good and as the crowd built I am under no illusion that I was very lucky to have surfed a beautiful racing left mostly to myself for 90 minutes … I watched as countless guys ran full steam down the beach access tracks boiling with enthusiasm then stop dead and wonder where they were going to paddle out … I was very thankfull for the pack mentality and cluelessness that was occuring as in almost every instance they would then run off towards the crowed peak, leaving me to enjoy my lefts … :D

after a while 3 mid 20’s boogie boarders paddled out about 50 meters north of me onto another peak and were getting plenty of waves but after about 30 minutes they drifted down to where I was taking off … the three of them then started buzzing around me paddling back and forwards chasing every bump that came along and hooting and whoooing and talking all manner of jibberish cr@p … :roll:
I sat back thinking that I have had a good run so would wait till they all got a wave … after they all got a wave you would expect it would be my go but they were still buzzing around, and then started paddling just inside me for another wave and I then got snaked a couple of times … I missed out on about 6 or 7 waves that technically and morally should have been mine so I then waited for them to do there buzzing around thing again and paddled off inside about 10 meters on my own again and waited … then a set comes through and I’m perfectly positioned for the first one … I’m paddling on and one of the boogie boarders is still paddling back out and turns around about 20 feet out side of me to take off so I give him a yell … but whilst looking straight at me he takes off anyway hooting and whoooing in a high voice … :!: :?

this is the point where hidden instinctive aggression kicked straight in and before I knew it I had lined him up, pulled a sharp turn off the top and dropped back down straight on top of him, rode across his back … and then ended up caught behind …

when we both popped up in the wash I started yelling before I had a chance to take a breath … :x

transcript of the discussion that followed …

(me) … “f’off you f’ing wanker” …

“what did you say”
(me) …“f’off you f’ing wanker” … “f’off somewhere else if you want to do that”

“ohhhhh … sorry …” in sarcastic tone

(me) …“stick your sorry in your arse, wanker … you saw me coming, you were looking straight at me and you still dropped in … f’off” …”

“I appologised so that’s it … you want to go on with it …”

(me) … “don’t appologise for what you purposely did and think you can get away with it … now go and f’off”

followed by an angry staredown … (way worse than blue steel) … offender paddles off…

the 2 other boogie riders paddle over to me briskly looking like they are about to let fly but being as p!ssed off as I was they were met with my best angry face and they paddled off past me without saying anything …

so that’s the story and I went in a few waves later … but do I feel good about any of that … NO … not proud and not happy with myself … and started feeling bad about 2 minutes after I lost it … :oops:

here’s the thing … although extremely annoying the only thing those idiots had the right to do was act like knobs buzzing around and whooing in high pitch screams like 12 year old girls … those pr!cks had no “unwritten surfing law” rights to take more than their share of waves in the first place and no right to drop in blatently after I had patiently sat there and waited well beyond my turn … and most of all that knob had no right to put me in that position of doing a Mr Hyde … :twisted:

whether people like it or not there’s an etiquite and although not everyone knows and “get’s” it , it’s pretty unfair on those who do :idea: ... particulary when you’re the one that loses your sh!t and ends up looking like an angry old bugger … :oops:

the problem is that unlike most other activities the “rules” aren’t in the hand book that you receive with your welcome pack … and you don’t get kicked out of the club when you break the rules … word of mouth doesn’t seem to work either because the words to the offender end up something like what I said … but I also find it highly unlikely that I would ever say to a boogie boarder who just blatently dropped in on me … “ hey mate, how about I shout you a coffee and we’ll sit down and discuss your actions and how you can correct them in the future” … :lol:

I get that this has been discussed to nausiating and fruitless lengths before and my little story will do bugger all toward education the masses but where else do I get to have a public rant about these stupid experiences on the glorious nothern beaches of sydney … :roll:

and just in case anyone is wondering … I don’t want to peace out and chill and live the f’ing stoke and become one with nature or any other spiritual recommendations for that matter … I just want to exercise my god given right to enjoy a surf without some knucklehead turning me into a raving madman … :idea:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: apology not accepted ...

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Hey ST, I know i've said this before but this is a technique taught to me in Kalbarri....take it for what it's worth.

The quiet word.

If you see this behaviour start to unfold then a pre-emptive quiet word might be in order.
ie......"you can paddle up the inside mate but I'm taking the next wave"

usually this sets a polite, dignified tone before the situation escalates.

I know I'm in a country town and your in the city but believe me we get plenty of fcuckheads frothing out down here.

The quiet word maintains sanity and dignity and can be used to educate.

Otherwise dig a ditch and have a wheelbarrow load of bricks ready to drop on the cnuts head when he comes in.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:and just in case anyone is wondering … I don’t want to peace out and chill and live the f’ing stoke and become one with nature or any other spiritual recommendations for that matter … I just want to exercise my god given right to enjoy a surf without some knucklehead turning me into a raving madman … :idea:
Well, if nothing else S&T, it makes for good reading. :lol:

I have come to the conclusion you have your own magnet to attract said offenders. I might have to come surfing with you and sit on another peak - going left of course. But keep Butts away. :wink:
’cept I don’t tend to sleep too well between 2:00 - 4:00am so when the morning comes, I don’t. :mrgreen:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:09 pm

iggy wrote:you can't just sit there and expect your waves to be handed on a plate to you...
Iggs , don't get me wrong ... I do like to claim a spot so to speak, away from people and stick to it but I do chase down plenty of waves ... I often look at guys just sitting and talking while they drift past and wonder what they are doing ... :? they were greedy and taking extras from my plate ... :wink:
steve shearer wrote:I know i've said this before but this is a technique taught to me in Kalbarri....take it for what it's worth.

The quiet word..[/size]
you have said that before and I know it's a very valid point and it's worth plenty ... only trouble for me is I grew up surfing at spots where you followed the rules or your own mates punched you out so I have little tolerence for this type of behaviour ... I have never wanted more than my share and I simply just like to keep to myself, 99.9% of the time I can sit out the bullsh!t or paddle off to avoid it all, but this was just one of those days ... you are right though otherwise I wouldn't have felt bad about it all ...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 pm

ric_vidal wrote:I have come to the conclusion you have your own magnet to attract said offenders.
seems to be the case :idea: ... and I often look skywards and ask ... "why" ... :lol:

anyway's I'm sure a good handicrafts project will soothe the savage beast ... :idea: :wink:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:40 pm

After surfing a "beautiful racing left mostly to myself for 90 minutes" on a morning when conditions were "extremely good" I think you should count yourself lucky.

If it had been me I probably would have taken the booger invasion as a cue to go in, either that or paddle up to the other peak they were on initially.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:anyway's I'm sure a good handicrafts project will soothe the savage beast ... :idea: :wink:
Sounds like just the therapy... cuppa tea, coupla iced vovos, crochet hooks and chew the missus’ ear off... I mean not literally, ’cept if she’s the babe o’ the day.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 pm

saltman wrote:Did you manage to ride your fins across his back ?
well he wasn't hurt which is a good thing ... although I was angry as hell and intentionally ran him over ... the first thing I thought when the dust settled was thank god I didn't actually hurt the pr!ck ...

I landed the underside of my board directly on his back at about my front foot mark then rode over him and ended up in front so at some point my fins must've actually made contact ... there was a mixture of my board and the lip landing on his back so I think the wash helped me traverse his back without causing damage ...

it's quite technical really ... :lol:

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:...I grew up surfing at spots where you followed the rules or your own mates punched you out ...
Who needs enemies....
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Funny how synchronized life is sometimes.

I paddled out this morning to some beautiful waves this morning also, and it was also to a spot not within 100m of anyone for a while, it was a bit inconsistent but hey if your by yourself that's okay ...
10 minutes later there's a guy on mal getting everything coming through :x and when I finally picked one off he's on the shoulder looking at me and paddling anyway, I take the high line to try and fark him off but he goes anyway and then the turd comes out and apologizes :arrow: "apology not accepted" he paddles off and then every wave for the next half an hour someone has just paddled out to just inside of me and bang there's a wave ...

A bit pissed off I set about sharing it with others, well everyone, which was all dandy till I'd just snaked someone on a peak and paddle out to someone eye balling me, who happens to have the sun behind them, I stare back, he stares me some more and then calls out my name :oops: was a mate from school, funny thing was I couldn't get out of the mood and ended up getting out 2 waves later

p.s I hope I'm normally like iggy but some may argue that :lol:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:28 pm

ha ha, yesterday I was surfing Winkipop and it was semi on fire but quite a few blokes out.

I was very nice and didn't race to the inside, just paddled to the good takeoff and let everyone get a wave then took my turn. (don't laugh, it's true)

After a couple of absolute gems I thought OK just wait for a real gem. Sat and let several sets of waves go past. Gave waves away that I coulda got with no questions asked and no ethics fractured, but I was willing to wait for the one I wanted.

So 12 minutes later the entire outer takeoff zone is cleared except for me and one guy, and up pops a set. I take a lil look toward the cliff to check my spot and see another guy (I know him! but won't say who) paddling out as quick as he can to get one of the waves.

I have the rights to wave one but give it to the one guy who's out there with me, he's stoked and off he goes, and the second wave rears up and it's definitely the One. So I begin paddling, but in the meantime the other guy has scrambled his way to a position just inside and further in from me. He is actually trying to steal this wave!

So I give him a slightly louder version of Shearer's "quiet word" -- ie "This one's mine, leave it". But sure enough he turns and starts paddling for it.

So I mercilessly burn the guy: take off, turn fairly high on the face to let him see the spray off the fins, and draw a line into the very fast oncoming section in such a way as to completely shut him out of the situation. Then I go ahead and enjoy the ride with no regrets whatsoever.

I don't really have a bad feeling toward him at all for trying to scorch me, I think sometimes people get into habits at certain surf spots, and the number of complete doodles who must try to catch set waves at Winki on a normal good day, I'm sure he just feels it's fine to lap 'em all morning long. But when you're not a floundering incompetent but a peer, and you've waited, and he knows you've waited, and he sees what you're doing and what you're waiting for, then tries to take it off ya... ha ha fcuken no way Jose.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm all for the quiet word, if only to save my voice, but failing that, here's a tip for all you...

Wait til they get out of the water...its much easier to swing a biff on land than in the water teetering on your board.

Yeah, nothing gets on my wick more than braving the unknown to find a little peak alone, then have kooks follow you.

Surf'n...gotta get out of the city man!

Nick, got a little ledge to myself yesterday...Car on Gas, a few more miles., a bit more effort, and even Wayne's not moaning!

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:apology fail … surfin turf completely loses sh!t …

another harangue by surfin turf …

there will be people who “get this” and people who don’t

I understand your frustration. Some people will either never understand.

Sometimes it is easier to share, wait and enjoy. everyone comes off more pleased with their surf and feelig as good if not better than they did before their surf.

i wish some of the 25 - 50 year old macho men who surf north narrabeen would undetstand this, regardless if its your local- if its uncrowded, pumping and a good morning vibe why wreck it with pretending other good surfers are not around you and waiting their turn.

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm

ST, well lets just say "I DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER GOING FOR A SURF THIS MORNING!!" :x :x :x

Only a "couple" of peaks away from you, running a little late :oops: and there were already 50-60 guys on it. :shock:
So what do you do................. :?: :idea:

Grab the camera, swim out and at least enjoy having a laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I end up bumping into no less than 5, yes 5 other photogs who decided EXACTLY the same thing as me when they saw the crowds. :twisted:

Pretty bad, soooooo many drop-ins, snakings, and just the "odd" quiet word spoken between new aquaintences :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow I'm trekking for my own waves, such a shame when this morning was pretty damn good. :cry:
All these drawings about dinosaurs… Why can’t we have photos?

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:54 pm

sounds like the booger near shat himself :lol:

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:46 pm

The hard fact is that you could be as reasonable as you bloody well like and some tools would still not get it. Unfortunately, surfing, like just about everything else in life, has its fair share of nobs.
Shake your head, have a word, lash out if you must, perhaps we can get through to some of them

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm

yes yes and this is not even mentioning "local rivalries" and bogeymen.

You know like the bloke that NC mentioned .....that guy who just happens to be doing another lap(jumping off the rocks, taking the inside passage) as the set of the day appears......and just happens to be inside you.

That bloke who is always in the bloody way but has been surfing here for 20 years.....

Ummm.......there's a few at the point thats for sure.

Anyway as you get older and have kids ..its a bloody hard sell explaining an assault conviction or AVO over some incident over a wave.

But shittt, how sweet was that NE swell today....barelling lefts with one bloke out here, and I was glad to see him because there was no-one for quite a while.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes