Where to live.... On the Sunshine Coast. Noosa or Moffat's?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where to live

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Thank's guy's.

First off... Coop's - I only have approval to borrow $400k tops so any house on the Northern Beaches is way out of the question.

TrevG - Where do you live? I love the Noosa/Tewantin area but find Marooch and the like to big.

Steve - I have spent many day's surfing the Ballina/Byron stretch and would love to live there, but as Merkin say's it doe's have some elements that as a future parent would trouble me, Also I have heard job prospects are not that good still up there. Also when you say Ballina, To buy do you mean Ballina East, Skennars, Lennox, Flat Rock etc?

Tiger - You grew up where I did. How do you compare North to South and where exactly are you now? How is work where you are and people are good?

Womble - Yes many of those area's are the ones i'm looking, But how do you decide. This is our lives after all. And yes like Ron i am partial to a good coffee. Ha

Pridemore - Why did you move south. PM me with this one if you like, I'm very interested in both the Noosa and Tweed/Byron area's. Thanks

Iggy - South is gold, I'm originally from down there - but Mrs won't go - She hates cold?

Saltman - I have only passed through Tweed coast surfing my way up to Noosa. I have heard so many things about the Goldy as far as living there, but mainly bad. It is definetly within my affordability range, But are people welcoming? or are the old school locals really sick of the new crowd's taking there job's etc since Superbank.

DigerDickson - The whole reason I'm asking all this stuff is because I want a good life for my family, I could'nt agree with you more.

Purri, Hatchman, Thank's guy's.

Does everyone think about this entering the family stage in there life? I'm so sick of the money chasing here on the northern beaches, where I grew up everyone would smile and say hello, Even if they did'nt know each other. I guess i'm trying to find that again. My Mrs is Avalon born and bred and even she get's sadened about what she see's nowaday's. She used to say she would never leave, But to go full circle, A house here is at least $650000 plus.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Anyway, its all about having something to do when you get there.

Job-wise I mean.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm

tiger wrote:
TrevG wrote:I'm with Fong. The Sunny Coast is great. Come up for a holiday and a look see.
But watch out for those westies (from around Lake MacDonald, Cooroy, Eumundi, Beerwah, Maleny etc
Westy bogans rule!!
Kin Kin is pretty much Central QLD!! Yeeeoooowww!!! Won't be moving back there though :wink:

Definitely consider the Sunny Coast... after living most of my life in Sydney, then moving to the Goldy, when I settle down it will definitely be on the Sunshine Coast.

Getting good IT work could be tricky though... if you were living on the southern end (where Trev) is, you could consider getting work in Brisbane. The other option could be Palmwoods which is going to have a high-speed train service to Bris, is in a beautiful spot in the hinterland and is a pretty central location on the Sunny Coast.
Last edited by rightbrainpositive on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Toby wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
Toby wrote:Margaret River, SW WA a clear first, or Denmark Sth coast WA a distant second depending on what work you wanted to do.
The 'full house' sign went up at Margies a few years ago, didn't it :?:
Yeah, it did. It's pretty ridiculous at holiday times too. However I reckon it'd still make a good family town. The waves haven't changed and that's what will always make it desirable, especially if you've got time midweek.
SW WA is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been I reckon,

But so far from civilisation,

and so close to the racist redneck bogan capital of the universe, Perth!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 pm

So saltman -Brunswick would be ideal - Thankyou again for your feedback - But what about the work situation around there, I keep hearing that there still is not alot.

Just speaking to girlfriend in Av this arvo, Said her brother and wife just bought a 3 bedroom house down Shellharbour (Barrak Heights) for $290000!!!!

The Pool's, Shallow's, Redsands, The Farm, Boneyards etc. Sounds perfect. But still he will travel to Sydney for work everyday. Eeerrgghh?

I want to have that work/Family balance where I make enough, but still get to see my kids as much as possible.

Does that still exist?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Whereabouts are you Saltman?
Oh and re: the Sunny Coast.
As a former sunny coast local who has done hard time there let me tell you.....do not go there if you cannot handle SERIOUS< SERIOUS flat spells. The kind where you almost forget what a surfboard and a wave is.
If you are a keen fisho or have another hobby sure.
Also when there are waves the points are INSANELY crowded, perhaps the most crowded waves in the world.
But i think the Northern Rivers, with easy access to the Goldy, is a no brainer for your skill set and budget, and if you like surfing.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 pm

It sounds like you are considering larger regional centres as well as the smaller places. I suppose that i am a big city girl, and would find a little town difficult. Do you want to be nearer a bigger town for its services, such as a hospital, high schools, TAFE, work for the missus if she wants to return to the working world, or would you prefer a smaller place where everybody knows you and your family.

One of my friends used to live at Lower Portland which is 30 min north of Windsor. They had to drive everywhere. Getting takeaway is almost a 1 hour round trip. You can't just duck out to get a bottle of milk. That said, they really enjoyed living in a small valley, and having their kids run a bit feral. They moved to the Gold Coast hinterland, because her husband loves Qld.

I think that if you want to leave the city you should definitely rent for a while, before you buy anything. It might seem expensive but it is better than trying to sell a house in an area you don't want to stay in. Visiting for a surf holiday, and staying somewhere forever are very different. You meet a different group of people once you have kids.

If you are thinking of starting a family soon, you should have a thought at the back of your mind of where your wife's family are. If they are potentially useful baby sitters , it can be a real help when your babies are small.

Not to say that you would want to live with them, but if your were within a few hours drive or near an airport, that might be a consideration.

i suppose that once your kids start school, then it is harder to move. They settle in and love wherever they are and it becomes more difficult to leave. I think that it is not so hard to move when they are preschoolers. it might be better to be near family and friends when you first have babies; it can be a little isolating with a newborn, and then move when you need more room.

Anyway, good luck with your search. I look forward to hearing about where you decide to settle.

BB

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Exactly BB, Only reason we have stayed here for this long is that Mrs parents are just up the hill on Bilgola Plateau and mother in law can't wait to babysit etc. But have been talking to many of my generation friends that are still here and we (Most) are all in the same boat. ie cannot afford to stay. After many pm's though, and as my thoughts have been confirmed, The Sunshine Coast is looking the good's.

BTW. Shaping is great - But forever, Perhaps not my main career. Will probalby fall back on the I.T or Credit management thing.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey Trev n Co. What about this "Bella Vista" estate at Caloundra?

To good to be true. Some amazing houses in the mid to high 300k. Mainly Renmax.

Waddya reckon?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm

eMpowered wrote:Hey Trev n Co. What about this "Bella Vista" estate at Caloundra?

To good to be true. Some amazing houses in the mid to high 300k. Mainly Renmax.

Waddya reckon?
Bell Vista has very small blocks - sort of in each others' pockets and it's a bit of a hot spot. Depends what you've been used to. For instance if you've been in a unit, no problem. Great houses, all very new. I know some people who live there and at Little Mountain on the other side of the ridge. Lots of young families, a good school.
We didn't look seriously at it because, being older,and having sold in Sydney we were able to spend a bit more.
Probably a good spot for the first home buyer.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

That would be us!

Going to go up on the weekend and check it out.

Won't take any boards with the tale end of Hamish and all. (Cough Cough)

M

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 pm

eMpowered wrote:^^^^^^^^^^

That would be us!

Going to go up on the weekend and check it out.

Won't take any boards with the tale end of Hamish and all. (Cough Cough)

M
If you get a chance, I'll buy you both a cup of coffee. My wife is overseas so I'm at a loose end.
If you're interested I'll pm you a phone number.

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 pm

steve shearer wrote: Oh and re: the Sunny Coast.
As a former sunny coast local who has done hard time there let me tell you.....do not go there if you cannot handle SERIOUS< SERIOUS flat spells. The kind where you almost forget what a surfboard and a wave is.
If you are a keen fisho or have another hobby sure.
Just spent 2 days at Alexandra Headland - plenty of swell today (nice wave at Mooloolooba southern end today). Had a chat at the local surf shop and the bloke was telling me this sort of swell was pretty rare. (I didn't have a board either, just watched).

Emp - Alexandra Headland is nice and not too far from shops. Not sure how much houses are, but check it out. Don't let the mrs trick you into going to Eumundi markets. Should be renamed Euscumdi - Never been a fan of gypsies and hippies pedaling their wares.
If it feels good, do it.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Yeah Belle Vista's a bit of a heat pit, wrong side of a ridge as Trev mentioned. Reasonably close proximity to highway to get to Brissy if that's important. Always lots of houses for sale, so bargains can be found. Same deal for Chancelor park, but it's closer to the M'ba region. Not my cup of tea, I like a bit of space and no neighbours.

As for comparing up here to back south eMp. I've been up here about 15yrs now, so am pretty settled. Lived right on the beach at Kawana up until 3yrs ago, then moved to Noosa hinterland. Love it out here, will never go back to suburbia. As Steve mentioned there can be prolonged runs of poor waves, mainly late winter/spring. But it's not always bad. I remember more than a few springs where places like Sunshine and Kawana pocket had good banks, and great waves thru that period. But yeah, it does pay to have some alternative forms of entertainment at that time of year. Fairly consistent Jan-June.

Miss certain things about Sth coast, mainly reefbreak waves with just your mates for company. But up here suits my lifestyle these days, surfing isn't the be all and end all it once was (3hrs and I'm chasin' metre plus barra at Monduran dam :) ) . If you're a total surf fiend, nth coast NSW is the spot. Best of both worlds, E trade swells and South groundswells

The board industry here is pretty tough (like everywhere really). But with a large surfing population, there is niche's there. Lot's of kooks = lot's of dings :idea: .