Good shaper in Newcastle area?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Sydney_Sheldon

Good shaper in Newcastle area?

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of a good shaper in the Newcastle area who would be happy/able to copy my snapped Firewire? Cheers.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:08 pm

well i know good shapers...dave reeves or m.r

i doubt they would be so hard up too lower themselfs shaping a copy thu

and sides....they will shape in polly which will feel different anyways too a firewire....why u snapping u boards :shock:

hearing about a lot snapped firewires on the grapevine :shock:

Sydney_Sheldon

Shapers in Newie

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 pm

M.R is out. Said he is dead against copying other's shapes. How do I contact Dave Reeves?

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Good shaper in Newcastle area?

Post by pridmore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Sydney_Sheldon wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know of a good shaper in the Newcastle area who would be happy/able to copy my snapped Firewire? Cheers.
is it just the shape that you like or is it the shape and that construction and materials ??? doubt you will get a board to feel the same especially with different materials...very interested in how you go...I have copied boards before and even when all the dims are the same and it feels the same, looks the same, they just dont go the same, close but never the same...copied an egg today for local surf shop owner, have to wait and see when he rides it...

Sydney_Sheldon

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 pm

To be honest I don't know what I liked so much about it. I can only assume it's the shape as I have noticed that the flex that firewire rave on about is not much more of an improvement on PU boards. I know the firewires are definitely lighter so it will be interesting to see how a replica of one made out of PU goes. If it goes almost as well, I'll be a happy chappy.
Been surfing my old AlMerick and it feels like such a slug, probably because of all the dodgey ding fixes I have done and the fact it's 5 years old and compressed to buggery. Any new board to me now would probably feel awesome now anyway.
Where are you at Pridmore? Are you any good as a shaper (any references), do you reckon you could copy a snapped board ok? Would you be interested at all? Is it possible to get the rocker, rail roundness/sharpness, fin placement almost exact? Only built 2 boards myself. The first was a complete fluke on the shape - it was perfect but I cocked up the glass job and it cracked to pieces after a dozen surfs. The second was a shit shape and paint job but the glass was OK.
Gave up after that so don't know much about shaping and especially copying boards - is it simply done by measuring and eye or are there other more exact techniques?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm

i am based in Yamba/ Angourie but I do boards for Sydney guys and delivery is not a problem...Copying boards is quite tricky, I do like a challenge, so if you are serious about discussing it further prob should contact me via PM ...as for referenes, there might be a few RealSurfers who might tell you about their boards and service from me ???? anyway, PM to chat MORE

-surfer-

Post by -surfer- » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 pm

You can also check out:-

www.shapersearch.com.au

They have a pretty comprehensive list for the newcastle area.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:well i know good shapers...dave reeves or m.r

and sides....they will shape in polly which will feel different anyways too a firewire....why u snapping u boards :shock:

hard up to lower themselves to do a copy ??? I think if the customer really wants a board copied then I will do my best to do that for them, i dont see it as lowering myself, I see it as a challenge to replicate something that someone really enjoys...as for the hard up part, well most shapers are hard up for a buck because you know what the profit margins are like ...I have done a few copies lately, and I even saw a Fat-Bat copy yesterday....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 pm

pridmore wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:well i know good shapers...dave reeves or m.r

hard up to lower themselves to do a copy ??? I think if the customer really wants a board copied then I will do my best to do that for them, i dont see it as lowering myself, ...
yeah...but your happy provide that service
Sydney_Sheldon wrote:M.R is out. Said he is dead against copying other's shapes. ?
a lot aren't
:idea:

p.s i would never ask another shaper to copy a design...i'd show em what works for me and invite there ideas around it

but if i want a copy....why wouldn't i go back the original maker

i'm not having a go ....i just think it;s rude get a great board off one guy than walk down street and get a copy of another

:?

i can b a bit old fashion :wink: sides a copy never goes the same

p.s and yeah....i love my new quad....i'm happy with your boards...go unreal what MORE could i want :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:49 am

thats fair enough but I worry that big names may think they are above doing a copy, maybe ego comes into it,??? I have learnt a few things while copying other boards, just trying to get things the same as another and getting a better understanding of why this board goes well for the rider..I am just lovin shaping and spongeing up all posible info to better my knowledge...the firewire copy would be good for me to do coz Nev is experienced shaper and obviously a high performance board that works well ( even if I am yet to be sold on how great they are ) for this guy ( and Taj) , love to see how mine went for the customer and get lots of feedback on how diff it went especially with the PU constuction ??? you are right, they never go the same but if you can go close, they are usually fairly happy, sometimes thay go even better which just happened with an Egg copy...great stuff...stoked you are enjoyin your quaddy...did you shape yourself one like you were gunna ??

Sydney_Sheldon

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Looks like I have opened a can of worms with this whole copying thing.
I can appreciate a shaper producing a piece of art and not wanting it copied. I can also appreciate a shaper not choosing to copy another artists board too. However Firewire have no problems taking Nevs shapes and mass producing them. Obviously, either does Nev, as long as he gets his cut....and who truly knows if it's a 100% Nev shape anyway. Do you reckon Da Vinci would allow perfect replicas of his work to be mass produced? And if he did, would he have a problem if one artist wanted to try to produce a 1-off replica himself? Also, isn't imitation the purest form of flattery? Food for thought. Sounds like a good topic for a new thread to me.

Thanks "Surfer" for the website. Cheers guys.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Gee if I fronted MR for a board I'd leave the driving to him. I guess its the difference between a cover band and the guy who wrote the music. Plenty of cover bands not many talented songwriters. :wink:

Sydney_Sheldon

Got my Firewire copied

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 pm

G'day Fellas, back again after a while off the net. Finally found a good local shaper to copy the Firewire Alternator I snapped some time ago. I have only had it a week and only surfed it a few times in average conditions until this arvo. I'm not 100% sure but I reckon it's just as good as the Firewire, not as light of course but goes well and feels good under foot. I have been surfing an old slug for the last few months while I saved up for the newbie so it's a bit hard to compare to my firewire as I haven't ridden it for so long. Haven't had the newbie in anything over 3 foot yet so the jury is still out until then. Will keep you posted once I get it into something with some size. Cheers. :P

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 am

post some pics mate ? who shaped it ???? 8)

Sydney_Sheldon

Post by Sydney_Sheldon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm

The shaper was Paul Parkes of Triple P Surfbaoards in Redhead,NSW. Did a nice job and I'm still happy with the board, had a few good days of surf in a row which helps you find your feet....and your fitness! Would love to have a bash at a firewire now to do a proper comparison. Funny thing... Paul was saying that he shaped another board for a guy who busted his and his brother's firewire. Paul shaped the board for the guys brother based on the firewire shape but Firewire replaced the guys board later on....wtf? Going to send Firewire a mail to find out why the would replace one board and not another. Apparently the break in this guys board was 2 or 3 inches closer to the fins than mine but I still don't see why they would replace it and not mine. Will keep you posted.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:17 pm

I made a board for a guy who got a firewire just before he got mine and he said he paid $900 or a grand and then they had the hide to ask him for an additional 150 for the fins...who sells a board without the fins ??? they are getting themselves a bad rep from what I hear... ( this was in Taree area )

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:18 pm

totally agree, pridmore, boards without fins?? i get a choice of 3's or 5's for the same price!
newcastle, shaper, i know you found one sydney_sheldon, but i can certainly vouch for one - the legendary Sam Egan.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

danw
regular

Post by danw » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 pm

pridmore wrote:I made a board for a guy who got a firewire just before he got mine and he said he paid $900 or a grand and then they had the hide to ask him for an additional 150 for the fins...who sells a board without the fins ??? they are getting themselves a bad rep from what I hear... ( this was in Taree area )

^^ can say ive never bought a board with the fins extra. sounds bloody stupid to me as well.

like selling a car without the wheels