New Surf Wax Formula's

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

LONGINUS
barnacle

New Surf Wax Formula's

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey guys,

I have just finished a new formula Cold, Warm and Tropical Wax. If anyone would like a free bar to try it out, please flick me a PM along with which bar you would be interested in receiving. WARM probably the best formula for Sydney based surfing at the moment.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:50 pm

its good stuff too, thanks for the blocks for the boardriders presso,the grommies loved them and the other stuff too... 8)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:53 am

No probs at all Mark, very happy to help out

Crim

Re: New Surf Wax Formula's

Post by Crim » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Used the new wax on the weekend just gone.
Found it quite soft - used almost half a block just topping up existing wax.
It seemed pretty good, grippy without being sticky. Showed the crew who all commented on the smell (positive).
I will see how long it lasts and if it develops any glase.
Thanks again.
Crim

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Great stuff Crim, thanks for the feedback on that. That 'top up' should last you a while. We included the wax comb in the tin as hopefully that should be all you will need to do to to keep it fresh and working, just a criss cross comb up every session.

Plenty more Tropical, Warm and Cold wax with free delivery just before christmas if anyone is interested in trying it out, just flick me a PM.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:54 am

Okay, first feedback:

Presentation:
Brilliant, 10 out of 10, the tin is nice and will be reused until the rust kills it and the mini comb is a bonus.

Scent:
:? :? 4/10; unfortunately me and the missus both think it smells like a trough lolly (yes, thats right, those big yellow cakes that sit at the bottom of a mens urinal), when compared to a Mrs Palmers or Sexwax then it really loses out on scent IMO.

so, 14 out of a possible 20 so far.

Will rub it on my stick on the morro and see how it feels :shock:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 am

Thanks Wand, really appreciate it.

The smell, lol - yeah, we had this grand plan of making the wax out of totally naturally occuring products. I remember standing up in the office like KRudd about to announce a 5% reduction by 2020 saying lets do it! Nothing artifical, hence the clearish colour and the napalm smell - straight from Gods green earth.

The wax is carbon neutral - so all emissions that went into the production have been offset. I will run the numbers, talk to the chemist and see how much difference a little squirt of Aroma 54355AB - which is coconut will make. Its a funny one because I have discovered that adding scent to a wax is like making a perfume, all waxes have the same non plussed 'trough lolly' smell initially. It's kind of like how we add artifical smells and tastes to gas, petrol and other petroleum products to either make people aware of leaks (LPG) or prevent them from drinking them (Turps).

I think you are right though, if we are going to have any chance of competing with brands like Sex Wax or Palmers we need to 'smell better' because after 40 years, everyone is used to wax smelling something like bubblegum / coconut and you're not going to change that overnight.

Great stuff. Keen to see how it performs in the water for you.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:04 am

Hey Igg,

We tried to make it pretty versatile so it should coat over your existing wax no problems. Its designed a little differently to most waxes in that it will go on a lot softer and easier but once its on it should maintain its freshness and grip, so you may use what seems a lot initially but all you will need to do is keep combing it for the next few sesssions before reapplication, we put the comb in with it for that same reason.

Keen to hear your feedback from the water!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:12 pm

The tin is a great look and the comb will come in handy as I wear down my cobblestones on my board. Go the milko smell of old I reckon cause its current smell does nothing.
I must say thanks for the great service, it felt Like I pm'd you and it was there the next day. Look forward to giving a solid workout. Cheers.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Mine arrived yesterday.
Great service.
Thanks.
Now, I just need waves and the right wind.
Tomorrow I hope.
Will report back then.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 am

Hey Guys, Thanks to everyone for the feedback on our wax formula, plenty more available for those that may be interested in trialing it.

I hear what you are saying on the smell, we thought we would go 'natural occuring' but I know what you mean in terms of wax needs to smell like 'surf wax' not just 'wax'.

Can I ask what smell would most people prefer in their surf wax? Coconut, bubblegum, etc. We will roll out that smell in the next batch.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 pm

i reckon a Mint smell would be a bit of a move away from your typical run of the mill wax smells.

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:47 pm

How bout a hemp smell?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ahhh

ps. send us some wax!

pps. after you put the smell in...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:55 pm

LONGINUS wrote: straight from Gods green earth..
green tea smells just like freshly cut lawn on an early spring morning before the dew has had a chance to evaporate ... I'm sure you could get a green tea scent additive ... :idea:

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
LONGINUS wrote: straight from Gods green earth..
green tea smells just like freshly cut lawn on an early spring morning before the dew has had a chance to evaporate ... I'm sure you could get a green tea scent additive ... :idea:
Or you could get a metrosexual additive...

:!: How bout a Lynx additive!

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Actually any kind of scent is pretty metrosexual..

Bourbon additive???

Asparagus additive!!!

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

What about a Frangipani sort of smell.That is summer to a tee for me

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks, Longinus. Just got mine in the mail.

Am waiting for my new Fatbat to arrive, and the fluid to drain from my stupid knee.

Then I will report back.

Love the look of the tin and the wax comb. Would probably want to get a wax "refill" without the tin, at some stage. My hubby and I didn't really like the naked smell of the wax unperfumed.

I would prefer something not too strong in the scent department.