Lord Howe Is

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mattyd

Lord Howe Is

Post by mattyd » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,

Am planning on taking the missus and 4yo to LH Is in Mar this year. The place looks beautiful.

Has anyone been there? Accom suggestions?

Would be keen to hear about some surf info - might be better to pm me on this rather than advertise to the entire world.

Thanks.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Re: Lord Howe Is

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Great surf and no crowds. Great reef passes on the south west. Nice beaches on the North East but too steep on the South East for quality surf. The choice of accommodation on Lord Howe Island is very limited and exclusive and booking in advance is is compulsory, camping is prohibited. A lot of the accommodations here are based around lodges or self contained apartements that can be pretty pricey and most close in the winter time.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:22 pm

When we went about 8 years ago. We found the accommodation quite pricey for what you get, but the place is pristine. No one locks their house or car, and the only bicycle thefts are by drunk locals; so the bike only ever goes up the road a bit.

Be careful about the baggage limits. I think there was a 15 kg limit when we went up because it was a small plane.

The restaurants are fun to check out, so try to get a package with a self catering option, so that you don't have to eat at your hotel's restaurant every night.

There is a better general store which sells fresh fruit and veg which is flown in. The prices are higher but the food is much better than the other store. I forget what it is called, but I remember cycling up a very large hill to get there. Mind you, that was quite a few years ago, now :)

Everything is shipped in, so bring anything that you can, like your 4 yr olds favourite cereal or peanut butter. Otherwise, be prepared to go without or pay lots.

It's a really beautiful place. I am planning to go back when our kids are larger, and can appreciate the bike riding and snorkelling and fish feeding and just hanging around with no adults to hassle you.

Have a great trip!!!

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Enjoy it is all good at the beach edge, if you surf the reef passes be aware of the outgoing tides.... three passes draining a 9k X 2k lagoon means a lot of water sucking out to sea. Consider your times and risk
Jaffa
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm

LHI, all time :lol:
signatures, finally got it covered.