All Bar One

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

munch
Harry the Hat

All Bar One

Post by munch » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:52 am

I must look like a ram or something - empty beach, multiple peaks and a guy paddles out to the peak I'm on :!:

Youse are a mindless sheep - the lot of ewes.

And sucked in cause the tide ruined it as soon as youse got in :x

p.s revo - blocked
p.p.s coops - blocked
p.p.p.s ric - blocked
p.p.p.p.s purs - blocked
p.p.p.p.p.s surf turf - blocked
p.p.p.p.p.p.s iggy - blocked
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Re: All Bar One

Post by Revolution » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I heard you would have had better luck getting a bomb at pipe then a wave at some of the spots on the NB yesterday. Whole bunch of people with thier new minimal and coolie boards :roll:

Give it two weeks and they would have given up and returned to sun baking.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:39 pm

i must say munch.....if u where a natural fooler i'd take u task for whingin about having share a peak with one other out :!: :shock:

but cause your a goofy, your totally right :lol:

and bet the useless mind dead prick who joined ya was a natural :?:

now...somewhat related

imagine saving all year

than traveling too your tropical surf spot :arrow: in prime time :arrow: paying primo money :arrow: in the hope scoring primo waves 8)

and you do...except you can't get many sets as the best part the top 44 has dropped in :|

http://www.swellnet.com.au/dispatch.php ... 181208.php

p.s oz should be ashamed at offering a mearsly million too help papu...shit if was indo we'd be falling over ourselfs give billions- fact note papu new guinea...we only help countrys were scared of :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 am

hey munchy, I researched this for a short article in Surfing magazine a while back, here it is:

CROWDS

Ever been sitting at a beachbreak peak on your own…seen three guys walking down the sand…figured they’d surely go surf one of the numerous other peaks up and down the line – then been minorly stunned when all three paddle straight out to where you’re waiting?
Sheep! Dude!
Even better: ever been one of those three guys? Showed at a beach, looked up and down, seen a guy out, and found yourself heading almost irresistibly in his direction – even when there’s fun waves breaking alone 100 yards away?
Whether you’re sitting there swearing quietly as the sheep paddle out toward you, or you’re one of the sheep yourself, ya might as well face up to the horrible truth. Not only are crowds almost unavoidable – but the urge to form ‘em and join ‘em may even be hardwired into our social DNA.
So…why the hell do crowds come together? And why do people act the way they do in crowds?

Social psychologists have been studying crowds on and off for over a century. The first of ‘em was a French guy named Gustave Le Bon, who published a book in 1895 called “The Crowd – A Study Of The Popular Mind”. It formed the basis for the Nazi Ministry of Propaganda, and most other mass crowd manipulators of the last century. Among other things, ol’ Gustave reckoned that when human beings formed crowds, they surrendered their intelligence. In other words: We paddle out toward the guy on the sandbar because we’re stupid.

Crowds are a response to a powerful social force known as convergence. Convergence theory, which grew out of studies made of crowds in the 1950s and ‘60s, states that people who’re into the same stuff will automatically form groups in order to protect and encourage that stuff. We paddle out to the sandbar because the guy out there is a surfer, just like us.

Later research uncovered a further mega-factor in crowd behavior: Social identity. People in crowds imitate other people who seem to be leaders, in order to feel part of a group. We paddle out to the sandbar because we’re not sure what’s up and we’re hoping the guy does.

The same urge can be seen at rock concerts: some genius flashes “What the hell! I’m gonna hold up a cigarette lighter…or a cellphone…and wave it around.” Within seconds, hundreds, even thousands of people will be doing the same thing. How many of ‘em would have done it if the genius hadn’t?

Then came Emergent-Norm theory, developed by US researchers Ralph Turner and Lewis Killian, and more recently by Stephen Reicher of the St Andrews School of Psychology in Scotland. Emergent Norm suggests that crowds aren’t the irrational monsters Le Bon thought. If similar interests may draw people together, distinctive patterns of behavior may emerge in the crowd itself, and rules may be made up to suit the circumstances.

Sounds like a pecking order, huh. We paddle out to the sandbar, then over time, figure out how to behave with each other. Maybe, given more time, we even decide the peak up the beach is better after all.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 pm

Did you write that for the telegraph or something :?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Nick....
Oh God!
I feel so bad.
I'm obviously an outcast. :oops:
I NEVER paddle into the same break as where others are surfing. (if there's an alternative)I'd rather surf a lesser break by myself.
I'm a failure. My life is over. :mrgreen:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:21 pm

I think fong hit the nail on the head re left foot forward fool

and nick, i read in terry pratchet - science of disc world recently that groups form in predator prey environments and given there was a gw shark spotted a few ks away ;)

btw this morning was a shocker cross wind, 1/4 of the size and chockers at 5:15 - yesterday the first sheep got in at 6ish

p.s revo - :lol:
p.p.s i'm like trev, i really hate crowds , they make me feel caustraphobic

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Enochlophobia: The Fear of Crowds. ovinophobia fear of sheep.
Ovinopeakohobia fear of sheep on your break.
enochemdownophobia fear of drop ins.
dredgophobia fear of shallowreefs
Test time: loginophobia multiple choice.
A; irrational fear of longboards
B; irrational fear of website participation.
C; irrational fear of Olos
D; All of the above.
:lol:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:10 am

Nick Carroll wrote: Crowds are a response to a powerful social force known as convergence. Convergence theory, which grew out of studies made of crowds in the 1950s and ‘60s, states that people who’re into the same stuff will automatically form groups in order to protect and encourage that stuff. We paddle out to the sandbar because the guy out there is a surfer, just like us.
Convergence theory in action-at some stage this morning there was no-one out.Then there was one-then-------------

Counted ninety that I could see-plus more down towards Kirra!

Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:23 am

I detest crowds.

Particularly grommits; 'cos they surf way better than me.

Besides, I can't steer, so it would be especially rude to run the babies over. :mrgreen:

I hate crowds.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am

Choosing to surf near someone on an otherwise empty beach could also be a subconscious decision to "reduce the odds" of getting eaten (however remote a chance it is).

Obviously this theory holds little stock in any metro areas.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Gunnamatta was pretty crowded this morning (by Vicco standards) but me and a mate managed to pick off a few nice drops. Really good vibe in the water which is always welcome

Sea was like glass too, the banks are slowly getting better thankfully
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Chong wrote:Choosing to surf near someone on an otherwise empty beach could also be a subconscious decision to "reduce the odds" of getting eaten (however remote a chance it is).

Obviously this theory holds little stock in any metro areas.
I was always very happy to see a couple of boogie boarders turn up at the Bower when I was alone.
Called them my early warning system.
Told them to please scream loudly so I had plenty of time to hightail it onto the rocks.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:11 pm

Hatchman wrote:Gunnamatta was pretty crowded this morning (by Vicco standards) but me and a mate managed to pick off a few nice drops. Really good vibe in the water which is always welcome

Sea was like glass too, the banks are slowly getting better thankfully
Sorry, but what does this have to do with the price of shark :?:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm

The big factor to encourage crowding is if you snare a few good ones. Hey guys its not that good I just make it look good cause I'm so hot :P :P :P :roll:

Best when you paddle way out to avoid the crowds and just sit there on the off chance of a wide one.
How often are you joined by a "friend" who not only joins you but paddles inside you expecting to claim the one freak wave that probably wont appear anyway?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:13 pm

TrevG wrote:Nick....
Oh God!
I feel so bad.
I'm obviously an outcast. :oops:
I NEVER paddle into the same break as where others are surfing. (if there's an alternative)I'd rather surf a lesser break by myself.
I'm a failure. My life is over. :mrgreen:
Ah yes...NOW... but I bet you WERE a sheep once or twice as a kid

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Beanpole wrote:How often are you joined by a "friend" who not only joins you but paddles inside you expecting to claim the one freak wave that probably wont appear anyway?
Never.