Lending boards

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 am

Slowy, maaaaaaaattteee. Hows it going?
Any chance of a loan :D
What a guy.

I reckon its dependent on age of board, ability and general attitude of borrower and how well you know them. Also how much your boards cost you.

The fact that this guys an ex lifeguard probably means he thinks boards are like rescue boards. I mean this doesn't seem to be a surfing accident. You can't blame non surfers for not being aware of how fragile surfboards are. Any sane person would not believe we ride such fragile pieces of equipment.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:28 pm

slowy wrote:I agree with Oldman, if you can't be without it..don't lend it!!
Was at a boardriders comp a couple of weeks ago and lent a mate a bigger board to take to Indo for a three week trip. Now I don't know this bloke that well, but he just snapped his gun (that day) and was in need of a bigger board to take in three days, so didn't even really think about it and just offered him the 6'9" which happened to be in the back of the car (as the surf was reasonably big). Everyone was ahh but what if he breaks it...so what boards are boards. Just hope he scores some waves over there and would be special to hear about some great waves on that particular board.
Good for you slowy. Big heart.

Either karma will give back multifold, or the whole idea of karma is a crock of shite and it's a crap shoot whether you ever see the board again.

Either way you are free.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Beanpole wrote:Slowy, maaaaaaaattteee. Hows it going?
Any chance of a loan :D
What a guy.

I reckon its dependent on age of board, ability and general attitude of borrower and how well you know them. Also how much your boards cost you.

The fact that this guys an ex lifeguard probably means he thinks boards are like rescue boards. I mean this doesn't seem to be a surfing accident. You can't blame non surfers for not being aware of how fragile surfboards are. Any sane person would not believe we ride such fragile pieces of equipment.
he gets his boards for a reasonably good price....Good on you Ben, I do the same shit and cant help myself, just like helping people especially when it comes to surfboards, not good for business sometimes but I just get a kick out of seeing someone enjoy one of my boards...What board did you lend him ??? Got any of your ols Sunny Coast board still ??? If anybody is ever in Yamba and wants to ride something a little different, just ask, got a few lying around...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:23 pm

daryl wrote:Howzabout your lawn corer, I have 2sqm of dirt, and do I waters it in winter :?:
sorry for the delay daryl .... the lawn comes before the lawn corer so get back to me when you get one .... :wink:

and don't water it in winter that will just create moss and give you false hope ....

you should probably consider a concrete lawn ... :idea:

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
daryl wrote:Howzabout your lawn corer, I have 2sqm of dirt, and do I waters it in winter :?:
sorry for the delay daryl .... the lawn comes before the lawn corer so get back to me when you get one .... :wink:

and don't water it in winter that will just create moss and give you false hope ....

you should probably consider a concrete lawn ... :idea:
ok

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am

Just heard that the lent board has been getting some use over indo and some great waves have been had on it so far, also in one piece....so far!!!

Sorry for the diversion, Mark, the board I lent him was one I picked up before a O/S trip from Southport surf in South Oz
(when living down that way), local shaper who's name escapes me at the moment, super thin, super narrow, rounded pin..looks fast even out of the water!!

Classic about the Sunny coast boards, I had an old pegasus (shaped by
by Stumpy) and even a HawK board (shape by Russell Doyle)for ages but they had to go with all the travel.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 am

oh man, thats a shame, be cool to still have some of those old boards..The first board I stood up on was a Pegasus, and I remember you, Deano and Nobbles used to ride the Hawk's...Russel actually glassed a few of my earliest attempts at shaping....do you stay in contact with any of that older crew....( sorry to take this thread on a diff tangent ).... glad your loaner is serving its purpose and your friend is getting plenty of enjoyment from it....

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:41 am

Classic!!!! man that made me laugh!!! Russell was a boat builder and in true Aussie spirit goes..well I work with fibrerglass..how hard can making a board be!! And has a crack.
There used to be soooo thick, but so were most other boards, and those chisel square tails and sharp as rails that he used to use on every farkin' board, they could take a toe off!!