IDEA ?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

IDEA ?

Post by pridmore » Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 am

How about I design an all-rounder to be surfed and then passed on to the next real-surfer in a nearby area, we can surf it and post our thoughts on its performance ( negative and positive ), evrybody who has it has it for a few days and then off to the next surfer ???? We can write on the board where and when it was surfed, we can send it all over the place, could be fun, what do you guys think ??????

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Sun May 18, 2008 7:53 am

single fin yellow :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 18, 2008 8:24 am

yeah but without the dvd footage unless a few can do it ???, and surfed by a wide variety of surfers of all skill levels and in so many different conditions. Be a good way to meet other real-surfers when dropping off the board to its next test pilot and would be cool to see all the different spots it had travelled to after its made its way home.....maybe a few pics of it at different spots to go along with posts......any other suggestions ????

Butts

Post by Butts » Sun May 18, 2008 8:41 am

Pridmore, great concept 8) Great Idea 8) 8)

Could be very very interesting :wink:

DeeWhyguy
Grommet

Post by DeeWhyguy » Sun May 18, 2008 8:44 am

It’s being done at the moment. A guy from WA has a board floating around Oz.
For more information check out Swaylocks.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Sun May 18, 2008 9:04 am

Mark good idea - i'll put my hand up as the bluff/maroochydore test dummy!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 am

alrighty, I can see its not a totally original idea but I think its still a bit of fun so I am going ahead with it. Those who are interested and are open to riding alternative craft and prepared to get the board to the next test pilot please drop me a PM with area you live, weight , height, current board ( your main board ) and any other info you want to pass on to me to assist me in attempting to design an all-rounder . Could be quite a challenge but I am enthusiastic about this and keen to get the ball rolling. I will see who is keen and where they live and then come up with a bit of a plan as to where to send it first...any other suggestions appreciated also

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Sun May 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Might I suggest an egg as a versatile shape which can cover a lot of ground (so to speak) and while being an alternative shape will allow those who ride regular shortboards, fish, fun boards, mini-mals, logs or high performance longboards a different shape to ride.
More than likely the majority have never ridden an egg and so could be a real eye opener.
Also with an egg shape you could make it float well enough to allow surfers of a wide weight range to enjoy it whilst still be rideable from 1-8'.
If it had a single box with a quad set up as well then there could be a lot of fun with fins as well. With an FCS longboard fin adaptor it could have an FCS centre fin and be surfed as a thruster too.

BIGJIM
regular

Post by BIGJIM » Sun May 18, 2008 6:58 pm

great idea Mark, count me in. I agree with cuttlefish, egg shape sounds good for us big fellas.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 18, 2008 7:11 pm

I will consider all info and design the board that I feel will suit the majority ( or try to because the diversity of surfers and body size will make this a challenge ), but I like how you guys are trying to get something you guys would like to ride...points for trying but I really dont know what I will be shaping yet...the thinking cap is on....one thing I do know is it wont be a performance shorty and it wont be a longboard...thanks guys...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 18, 2008 7:15 pm

I'm in, if you need someone around the southern end of the Sunny Coast.
pm on it's way with details.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun May 18, 2008 8:28 pm

i'm in....and could help with transport tween yamba and sunny/goldy coasts than back too port :idea: it's not a normal w'end if i don't spend 20 hours driving :lol:

i see cuttles point....but please...shape anything but a egg :!:

a nice 8 footer ...that everyone can have fun on...with belly channels

and no fins
:lol:

ok...i'll shut up...great idea...i'm in and can help with transport :wink:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Sun May 18, 2008 9:17 pm

Great idea - I'm willing to take from Goldy to Sunny or to Nth NSW - like down to Ballina/Yamba.
Design wise - I like Fongs idea. I'm thinking of making a 7'9 - 8 footer - 2 +1 setup myself, so this may set me in the right direction or a direction??? :? :?

carpet
Grommet

Post by carpet » Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 pm

sounds like a good idea,always wanted to try a bonzer,but never had funds. :) just an idea

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 am

i see cuttles point....but please...shape anything but a egg :!:

But it could be a free range egg! :lol:

and no fins

Need a big arse tube of Solar cure to go with it. Could be a fair bit of pinballing around in a line up while trying to figure out how not to run over your mates. :twisted: Least you wouldn't put any fin chops in other people's boards. I like it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon May 19, 2008 8:15 am

Cuttlefish wrote:i see cuttles point....but please...shape anything but a egg :!:

But it could be a free range egg! :lol:

and no fins

Need a big arse tube of Solar cure to go with it. Could be a fair bit of pinballing around in a line up while trying to figure out how not to run over your mates. :twisted: Least you wouldn't put any fin chops in other people's boards. I like it.
WTF ? Hoping there wont be too many dings but I guess its likely...so whoever dings it- fixes it asap before handing it on to next test pilot...sound fair ? I will arrange a cover to go with it ...will get into the board in about a week , that will give interested surfers time to PM and me time to work out how to make a board to float guys from 70 - 100 kg's ???????

slowy
regular

Post by slowy » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 am

Mark,
I'm in for sure, can take the board between newcastle and central coast region.

You know my details but will PM them just in case.
Great idea..me thinks.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 am

How could I NOT be in on this! Great idea Mark. I'm sure Fong, Tiger, Cuttlefish and I will put it through it's paces up Noosa way...

I like the bonzer/channels/minimal fins/egg idea. What about a slightly concave deck? I know DVS does them for Rasta and he swears that he feels more control with the slight concave.

Another idea: each Realsurfer should be allocated a small space on the bottom of the board and leave some comment/feedback with a posca or paintpen... it would leave a trail of history that would give the board personality.

Mark, you could also give it an "out there" spray so it's easily recognisable. Start a blog, let a couple of surf journo's know about the experiment and you've got yourself a unique viral marketing campaign that will really get your name out there!

(sorry I'm at work in 'marketing' mode...)