south america

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

shitusername
Grommet

south america

Post by shitusername » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 am

I've got 2 months to kill, jan feb next year in south america. I realise its not the best time of year for waves in that part of the world but I have the freedom to go pretty much anywhere I want, so the question is- if you were in my shoes where would you go for the best chance of scoring consistant high quality waves with as few people as possible? Anyone who's travelled around that area throw me a bone here where should I go and where should I avoid

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 am

Jan and Feb can be a great time of year for surf. Im thinking Ecuador!
In Feb an international surf comp hits Montanita, Ecuador. Consistently solid NW swells should be the go. Try Mompiche, epic 400 metre long left hander in the North of Ecuador, research is a must, its hard to get around up there, pretty remote. But well worth it. Ecuador picks up the tail of the winter swells that hit Hawaii, so Jan and Feb are 2 of the best months of the year for surf in Ecuador. The countries to the south, Peru Etc dont pick up the north swells as well as Ecuador does. Warm water, not many people, though Montanita will be packed that time of year.

shitusername
Grommet

Post by shitusername » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 pm

sounds epic, I've heard a lot of guys say equador can get good but the swells are often quite weak? any truth behind this? Have you ever been out to the galapogos islands? I hear it can get epic, bit more juicy than mainland Equador.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:36 pm

When i was there the power was usually ok. Swell period never really dropped below 10 seconds. Onshore winds common though.
I didnt get to the Galapogos, heard some stories about epic waves though, really consistent all year.

emerald snake

Post by emerald snake » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 pm

dont do it. killer bees, guys with guns and machetes every 25 metres, malaria, corruption, evil autocrats, snakes, e coli rampant, broken down buses, thieves, no english, out of control locals, head hunters, no drinkable water....and contagious sneezing birds.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:43 pm

what a shit username

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:59 pm

emerald snake wrote:dont do it. killer bees, guys with guns and machetes every 25 metres, malaria, corruption, evil autocrats, snakes, e coli rampant, broken down buses, thieves, no english, out of control locals, head hunters, no drinkable water....and contagious sneezing birds.
you've sold me.
so, it's not a nanny state run by a someone whose great aim in life is to be comfortable.

shitusername
Grommet

Post by shitusername » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:09 am

Sounds like fun doesn't it. Anyone been to chile or peru that time of year?

Eski
regular

Post by Eski » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:59 pm

emerald snake wrote:dont do it. killer bees, guys with guns and machetes every 25 metres, malaria, corruption, evil autocrats, snakes, e coli rampant, broken down buses, thieves, no english, out of control locals, head hunters, no drinkable water....and contagious sneezing birds.
haha, i was in Peru last year, at a checkpoint thingo they pulled us over for like 30 minutes without an explanation.

give the coppers a loaf of bread; and your on your way :shock: [/b]

emerald snake

Post by emerald snake » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:30 am

refer to my previous posts. lobitos in the north of peru is the best wave in south america.

as for spanish. get yourself a phrase book. or as one grommet i met did, point and use elaborate hand signals. just dont yell, unless you want to be locked up in the desert.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:03 am

emerald snake wrote:lobitos in the north of peru is the best wave in south america.
pfffffffffffft .. it's not (that) far from there tho :shock: